Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Edsel Ranger

StevenGuthmiller

Finally finished up the Edsel hardtop build. Pretty much my usual MO. Box stock with a few added scratch built items. This one has had the steering column rebuilt as well as an added horn ring, scratch built interior mirror & antenna. I added pieces of painted clear plastic to the tail & back-up lights to add a little more realism. The colors are not "correct" Edsel colors, but are reasonably close to "Bronze Rose" & "Sahara Beige". Not one of my favorite builds, & a far cry from one of my favorite cars, but I felt like it had historic value. Besides, I needed a '60 to finish the Edsel "trilogy" in my collection. Comments or criticisms are always welcome!

Steve

2v23hvKM2xwUbWP.jpg2v23hvcAyxwUbWP.jpg2v23hv1iqxwUbWP.jpg2v23hvpyzxwUbWP.jpg2v23hv1p3xwUbWP.jpg2v23hv1FrxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

How did you do the "Ranger" and "EDSEL" scripts on the sides? Brush painted? They look very good.

No Amere. I use the old "foil before paint" method. I put on all of my primer & color coats, except for the last color coat. Then foil the scripts & other small parts like door & trunk locks, cutting al closely as possible. Then I apply the last color coat. After the paint cures enough to handle, I carefully clean off the paint from the script using the appropriate thinner & one of those small pointed "Q-tips" from Tamiya. I use the thinner very sparingly so as not the damage the paint around the script. Then I just clear coat over it. It's actually a very easy & satisfying technique that I wish I would have known years ago! :) Steve

Just beautiful, Steven! What kit were the tires from?

Thanks guys! Christopher, actually the tires are not from a kit. These are a set of Modelhaus' "#530 late 50s- early 60s Johan promo wide whites". I love Modelhaus tires! I use a lot of them. Saves me from raiding other kits or painting white walls. Although it costs me a few bucks! :) Steve

That came out great, love the colors.

That's a kit that is high on my want list. I still have the 1960 Edsel convertible kit I built in 1960.

Thanks guys! Tom, For some reason the convertibles are relatively easy to find, the hard tops are a little tougher. I finally found just a good body & used a convertible for a donor kit. Steve

That's incredible! Fantastic work with this Edsel, paint job looks smooth and shiny and the BMF is perfect! Thanks for the tip on those little chrome textes or scripts, I'll definitely try that in the future. Oh yes and I like the colors, too. It's nice to see something else than red cars as well and I've always liked Edsels too. Congrats on a very nice build.