Model Cars Magazine Forum

USMC 55 Chevy Pro Stock

Frank Steffens

My wife got me this kit for father's day...she was really disappointed when she found out I already had two of them. I wanted to do something special with it, so I decided to build it as if its a United States Marine Corps sponsored match racer. I made up some decals for it in Paint Shop Pro, and printed them out. I wanted the decals to be kinda like the "lo-vis" line jets, but repurposed for a car that would essentially be used as a recruiting tool if it really existed. Here's the decal art (the image is compressed into a jpeg, so it has lost resolution):

MarinesShoebox1.jpg

I had previously built a model of the Marine Corps' "Black Knights" Squadron's (VMFA-314) Boss Bird in digital camouflage. The real F/A-18C was painted as a tribute to the new MARPAT camouflage pattern that is used on the Marine's fatigues, only it uses varying shades of gray. Here's a couple of pics of the 1/72 model:

d.jpg

c.jpg

So I started by cleaning up the body and painting it Model Master Dark Gull Gray, then I cut up pieces of masking tape that will be the "pixels" in the digital camouflage pattern, and arranged them in a random pattern over the body...here's what it looked like waiting for the next color, Medium Gray:

P6300054.jpg

And after the Medium Gray (kinda hard to tell the difference):

P7010057.jpg

Next up will be Dark Ghost Gray, then more masking, and the final color, Light Ghost Gray. Then detail painting and the decals. It will have a semi-gloss finish. More photos coming soon....

Edited by Frank Steffens

My wife got me this kit for father's day...she was really disappointed when she found out I already had two of them. I wanted to do something special with it, so I decided to build it as if its a United States Marine Corps sponsored match racer. I made up some decals for it in Paint Shop Pro, and printed them out. I wanted the decals to be kinda like the "lo-vis" line jets, but repurposed for a car that would essentially be used as a recruiting tool if it really existed. Here's the decal art (the image is compressed into a jpeg, so it has lost resolution):

MarinesShoebox1.jpg

I had previously built a model of the Marine Corps' "Black Knights" Squadron's (VMFA-314) Boss Bird in digital camouflage. The real F/A-18C was painted as a tribute to the new MARPAT camouflage pattern that is used on the Marine's fatigues, only it uses varying shades of gray. Here's a couple of pics of the 1/72 model:

d.jpg

c.jpg

So I started by cleaning up the body and painting it Model Master Dark Gull Gray, then I cut up pieces of masking tape that will be the "pixels" in the digital camouflage pattern, and arranged them in a random pattern over the body...here's what it looked like waiting for the next color, Medium Gray:

P6300054.jpg

And after the Medium Gray (kinda hard to tell the difference):

P7010057.jpg

Next up will be Dark Ghost Gray, then more masking, and the final color, Light Ghost Gray. Then detail painting and the decals. It will have a semi-gloss finish. More photos coming soon....

I am gonna have to follow this one and save it so I can try it.

Nice work o far, and I LOVE IT.

I was really disapppointed when the Marines dropped the NASCAR sponsorship and havent really seen any others that would take it on either. I am really happy to see this. If you want I can take a picture of my cammies and send it to you for a better reference pic if you dont have any.

Looking good! Ill be following this one, got any 1:1 pics?

Sure, here's a link:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Marin...-18C/1337208/M/

I am gonna have to follow this one and save it so I can try it.

Nice work so far, and I LOVE IT.

I'm glad you like it so far Clay....here's some more pics with the camo painting done:

P7050002.jpg

P7050003.jpg

P7050005.jpg

P7050007.jpg

P7050009.jpg

Edited by Frank Steffens

I never knew you were a Marine, Clay.

I slept really well last night, and I hold the corps responsible for it. ;)

A huge thanks to you and your brothers and sisters!

Yep been one for 6 years the 23rd. And my body is feeling it :o

And I thank you for your support.

• 2 weeks later...

More pics with the decals on:

P7200011.jpg

P7200015.jpg

I'm gonna wait a couple of days for the decals to dry, then clear it with semigloss. I used Testor's decal sealer for the first time on the homemade decals, and it worked REALLY well. Previously, I had used Micro Decal Film, and the decals still chipped when applied. Not this time!

Clay, do you notice the USMC reference in one of the sponsor decals? There's another USMC reference in the driver's name on the door: Lewis "Chesty" Puller...it's hard to see in that pic, but its there!

Edited by Frank Steffens

More pics with the decals on:

P7200011.jpg

P7200015.jpg

I'm gonna wait a couple of days for the decals to dry, then clear it with semigloss. I used Testor's decal sealer for the first time on the homemade decals, and it worked REALLY well. Previously, I had used Micro Decal Film, and the decals still chipped when applied. Not this time!

Clay, do you notice the USMC reference in one of the sponsor decals? There's another USMC reference in the driver's name on the door: Lewis "Chesty" Puller...it's hard to see in that pic, but its there!

Wow, I am speechless. THat is just awesome. I love it, all the decals, the historical references, all of it. Simply awesome!!!

• 3 weeks later...
what happened with this one? any progress to report?

Dave

Not much progress of late. I finished up the body and I'm slowly working on the engine/chassis. I've gotta get some carbon fiber decals for the manifolds and valve covers, but I have just about everything else I need to keep going. More pics comin' soon!

looking good

me likey

any chance we could see the 1:1 for reference ?

Thanks! There is no 1:1 for this one. Its all in my crazy head! :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
any updates? i really love this build, it's awesome!

Dave

Funny you should mention it Dave! Yes I do...I started on the engine and chassis. I have most of the major painting done. I went with Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf for the sheet metal, and the roll cage and chassis is Tamiya TS-39 Mica Red over TS-30 Silver Leaf. The engine and tranny is a mixture of Testors Metallizers. It has MCG dominator carbs and a Detail Master distributor. The disc brakes up front are Detail Master rotors with MCG calipers. The rest is box stock. Here's some pics:

P8240016.jpg

(Yikes! I just looked at the carbs in that picture and they look crunchy! Funny, they don't look like that in reality!)

P8240018.jpg

P8240020.jpg

That is simply Amazing Soldier!!!!!!!!!! keep up the good work.

Thanks for your Service!

Gabriel.

Thanks for the compliment Gabriel! Unfortunately, health problems kept me out of the service, but I've always had a huge respect for those that serve our country, and in particular, the United States Marine Corps. I'm building this one to honor them, and hope to have it finished for the LIARS' (Long Island Auto Replica Society) Model Car Challenge on November 8th (two days before the Marine Corps' 288th birthday).

Edited by Frank Steffens

Hola amigo!!! This sportsman's the heavy duty business and this would make any american feel good I mean look at it..... The choice of subject is a dead give away for a brute pavement beater and the decals at least thats what i thought they were... ( awesome take on camo) by the way but the class this build is' shes a champ fer sure fella and keep on wit the keepin on!!

peace

ajulia