Model Cars Magazine Forum

ZZ Top's Eliminator '33 Ford Is Completed

mrmike

I have decided to challenge myself with another rebuild of an old built-up model...Revell's ZZ Top Eliminator. I built this back in the '80's when this version of Revell's '34 Ford was issued. IIRC, I built this model in a weekend and it shows. I am going to clean everything up, repaint, and rebuild. Here's what I started with...
ZZT02.jpg
ZZT03.jpg
And, here is where I ended up with after half an hour or so...
ZZT04.jpg
I am repainting the body parts with Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red and hopefully will add some missing components like rear shocks and plug wires. I also have a new set of decals with thanks to montecarlo1980. Thanks Ruben!
More to come...
Edited by mrmike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I hope that my rebuild will influence you to go ahead and build those '33 Ford Eliminators you have stashed away, awaiting to be built someday! Maybe someday is sooner than you think...

The engine has a coat of Chevrolet Engine Red. The carb needs to be detailed and the distributor and heads will be drilled out for plug wires.
ZZT09.jpg
The body and interior have been washed and is currently air-drying.
ZZT07.jpg
ZZT08.jpg
More to come...

Thanks for the nice words guys!

I have added my wires and plug boots and installed the engine back into the chassis.
ZZT16.jpg
The view from the top!
ZZT17.jpg
I masked the grille for paint.
ZZT18.jpg
When I started to disassemble the Eliminator, the grille didn't sit right because of the radiator sitting too high in the chassis. I fixed that by notching the radiator base to slide into the chassis more.
ZZT19.jpg
ZZT20.jpg
The grille has been painted.
ZZT21.jpg
More to come...

Thanks Shane, Bill, and Carl!

After doing much research to start with, I have read of the finicky body panels and build fit of this kit and many of those were not finished. I can't remember having these issues when I first built this kit, but hey...that was a long time ago. Now I find that the engine side panels are a finicky fit and so I have gone and glued them on and tape them in place until the glue has had sufficient time to set up.

ZZT22.jpg

ZZT23.jpg

ZZT24.jpg

The one thing I cannot find are interior pictures of the Eliminator. I'll leave the interior detailed as I originally did back when I first built the kit. For the most part, I am in the home stretch with the Eliminator. Hopefully, I'll finish it today.

More to come...

i just recently finished this kit..it was new old stock from the US..

i ended up finishing the hood in one piece..so it could be removed as to show the engine...

it's possible to do that..

the interior should be burgundy red(ish),not brown like yours..the stripes on the doorpanels and the seat cover is supposed to be 'egg shell white' whatever that means..

just check out the Gimme all your lovin' video when the door swings open @ the gas station

the rest looks ok ,nice build...good work