Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dieselpunk Hybrid hot-rod: Turbines and drivetrain, Jan.25

Ace-Garageguy

Thanks guys. I'm having a lot of fun on this one.

You've been reading-up on Diesel locomotives! ;)

Excellent work and sound concepts!

David G.

Yeah, I built RR models a long time ago, hadn't seen anything on the Jag system for dumping excess current from the regenerative brakes, so it seemed logical to include the dynamic braking bit.

I've been involved off-and-on with alternative powertrain concepts and green technology for most of my life, too. I think one of the reasons the folks living on most of the planet have been so slow to implement rational energy-use solutions is that they're usually packaged as appealing to guilt, and BORING. Might get a little farther saving the world if it was perceived as being fun and sexy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

hey bill your work is outstanding! but now that you have got more involved then you originally planed, (like they all do) have you considered opening up the hood and trunk to show all that fantastic work??

looking forward to more!

jason

Thank you ! The hood and front fenders will flip forwards for access to the fore-guts, and I'll definitely be opening the tail for access / display there too. The Flintstone casting is extremely think, so I'll be making molds and copying the hood and deckild in very fine fiberglass, as I've used here, and discarding the hacked-off resin originals.

Mold...

DSCN2606.jpg

Duplicate part layed-up...

DSCN2666.jpg

Completed thin copy...

DSCN5057.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thank you ! The hood and front fenders will flip forwards for access to the fore-guts, and I'll definitely be opening the tail for access / display there too. The Flintstone casting is extremely think, so I'll be making molds and copying the hood and deckild in very fine fiberglass, as I've used here, and discarding the hacked-off resin originals.

Mold...

DSCN2606.jpg

DSCN2666.jpg

Completed thin copy...

DSCN5057.jpg

can you explain this process more im very interested

Mold...

DSCN2606.jpg

DSCN2666.jpg

Completed thin copy...

DSCN5057.jpg

hey bill that sounds fantastic! you sure have my attention cant wait for the next update

jason

• 4 years later...

Almost 5 years since the last update. What is the status of this build? I'd like to see it done.

Thanks again for your interest, Scott. I'd like to see it done too.

But in the intervening 5 years, I've moved my home and shop (moved most of the shop twice, actually), built the majority of two full-scale cars for clients, completed several other significant 1:1 projects and have the last three prior to my retirement in progress, and also have multiple ongoing renovation projects on my domicile. I've answered literally thousands of technical questions on this very board, I've been injured requiring hospitalization twice, once with a fractured pelvis for which I'm still undergoing physical therapy, and I've done as much traveling as I could manage. I also dropped this model while taking it to a club meeting, and it self-disassembled.

Sometimes life just gets in the way a little.  ;)

Wow! Just read through this entire post. I love the concept and work you have put into this. I'd love to see it finished, as I am sure you would.

I also have that Flintstone body. I was planning a LSR with a more 30's style to it. A curbside with tall, skinny tires on steel rims and a simple paint scheme with dull sheen. After reading through this though I may need to get another body to combine with MY leftover Cord parts. 

Keep after it. It is a great project.

Later-

Wow! Just read through this entire post. I love the concept and work you have put into this. I'd love to see it finished, as I am sure you would...

...Keep after it. It is a great project.

Thank you sir.

When I dropped the thing, I lost a couple of the parts...like a wheel-motor and one turbine. The turbines are from the Amtronic, and the wheel motors were made from the old and hard-to-find brakes for the '32 Ford in the AMT double kit with the Willys drag car included.

I've sourced replacements, but that's as far as I've gone since then.