Model Cars Magazine Forum

who wants a resin 1/25 longbed 77-87 chevy bed

66 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in purchasing a resin cast 1/25 scale '77-'87 GM longbed?

• Yes
    • No

here is bed pic showing the back

That pic is better. The tailgate appears to be molded as one piece with the bed sides and front wall, with the floor and wheelhouses molded as another piece, is that correct?

Will clear red tail lights be included? I guess that's not a huge deal if the forthcoming 1/24 Revell (Monogram) GMC's tail light will work with this bed, since you'd need a donor kit anyway.

that pic shows with a 1/24 cab

This picture shows my other concern- it's a tad bit too narrow to match up with the 1/24 Revell (Monogram) pickup's cab, but you did state it was 1/25 scale, and most people will probably use it with the MPC kits anyway.

This picture shows my other concern- it's a tad bit too narrow to match up with the 1/24 Revell (Monogram) pickup's cab, but you did state it was 1/25 scale, and most people will probably use it with the MPC kits anyway.

Hmm, looks like using it on the release of Revells Gmc kit is not going to work

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A couple of observations here, if I may:

1) I researched doing this pickup box in resin 22 years ago, as part of a crew cab conversion. In doing so, I picked up one each of every example of this vintage Chevy/GMC pickup. Here's what I found:

a. MPC produced just one with a fleetside box, the Fall Guys truck. In addition, MPC also produced a '77 Chevy short stepside in 1/25 scale as a s

snap kit, and a '78 Chevy Blazer, also a snapper. MPC also produced a variety of 1981-82 4X4 stepside versions. All of these are 1/25 scale.

b. Revell, in 1977, produced a '76 Chevy short box stepside, originally produced as "Billy Carter's" (Billy, the brother of Pres. Carter) pickup, in 1/25

scale.

c. Monogram produced a couple of 1/24 scale Chevy/GMC pickups of about 1978/79 vintage.

Of all these kits, the MPC series of trucks had the most accurate bodywork by far and away. Revell's Jimmy Carter pickup is probably the worst of the bunch, a lot of body shape and contour issues there. Monogram's had some errors in shapes, mostly due to their then-penchant for making automotive body shells more than a bit too "squareish", almost blocky looking. So, the MPC Fall Guy got the call here (at the time, I had 3 or 4 original issue kits, they were the stuff of Dollar Stores in the 80's, so I got them at very good prices).

Regardless of whose kit one uses for this conversion, the dimensional changes to the pickup box will be the same: Chevy/GMC fleetside pickup boxes came in two standard sizes (save for say, Camper Specials which may be longer still); 78" (6.5') long inside (from the inside of the front wall to the inside of the closed tailgate), and 96" (8') also inside dimension. The difference between the short and long boxes is divided, 12" forward of the rear wheel arch, and 6" behind the rear wheel arch (fender opening). Regardless of whose Fleetside box one uses, it will take two of them to make this pair of stretches. In addition, given the ribbed bed flooring, I found it much easier, and better looking, to replace the MPC bed floor with Evergreen ribbed sheet styrene. I simply cut the original bed floor away, being careful to preserve the inner bed side panels, and the wheel wells. It goes without saying that when cutting and stretching a body part like this, all cuts need to be straight and true, perfectly right angle figured from the TOP edge of the bed sides, and the sides much match exactly in length side-to-side, or the box will not be square.

The only other thing that will have to be stretched, is the chassis, regardless of whose kit gets used. The stretch (I got this from GM Truck literature) in front of the rear axle was right behind the cab, again 12", and behind the rear axle, 6". Both are on the flat, not in the rear axle kickup.

Hope this helps!

Art

I agree with Art 100% here, but...

The MPC/AMT GM pickups probably won't be reissued again (but you never know) so the reissued R/M GMC pickup will be the recipient of this longbed. With massaging (mostly the overly thick lip on the wheel opening) along with the stretch, I think this aftermarket 8' bed will be a WINNER!!! B)

Art, you make mention of the Camper Special possibly having a longer bed. This was only on the '68-'72 3/4 and 1 ton Longhorn trucks, which all used the 2wd 1 ton frame. Camper Specials were not necessarily Longhorns, many used the standard 8' bed.

The '73-'87 Camper Special sed the same 8' box as the regular pickups, with many of the 1 ton versions also being duallie trucks.

Art, you make mention of the Camper Special possibly having a longer bed. This was only on the '68-'72 3/4 and 1 ton Longhorn trucks, which all used the 2wd 1 ton frame. Camper Specials were not necessarily Longhorns, many used the standard 8' bed.

The '73-'87 Camper Special sed the same 8' box as the regular pickups, with many of the 1 ton versions also being duallie trucks.

Bill, I was just covering my bases, as I didn't have time to go digging around, to determine if there were longer pickup boxes for this proposed project or not. Thanks for clearing that up.

Art

• 3 weeks later...

If longbeds where offered at a reasonable price I would probably buy a couple, especially if they where in 1/24, although 1/25 is easy enough to make fit and I've got a couple 1/25 gmcs. I guess that depends on if I finish making one for myself first (I'm getting to it very slowly).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...