Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Rich. I guess the effect doesn't translate well in pics. Guys, look at the perspective of the view through the back window. The last two shots are what you should be seeing in the first one. I used a layer out of an lcd display from a dissected digital camera. When you look at it straight on, it's kinda mirrored. It's not 'til you move above that the inside of the cab comes into view. It may be easiest to see in the second pic, where the truck is viewed from well above but through the window it's as though you're looking straight down the nose. :)

Thanks, Rich. I guess the effect doesn't translate well in pics. Guys, look at the perspective of the view through the back window. The last two shots are what you should be seeing in the first one. I used a layer out of an lcd display from a dissected digital camera. When you look at it straight on, it's kinda mirrored. It's not 'til you move above that the inside of the cab comes into view. It may be easiest to see in the second pic, where the truck is viewed from well above but through the window it's as though you're looking straight down the nose. :)

lol, guilty here, i missed it

Looking great, Glu! When I first saw the rear window I thought it was one of those flat magnifiers that they sell in book stores; Looks cool.

The real wood bed is a knock-out, and the leopard skin interior gave me a little chuckle (shades of Dr. Cranky?).

Show us some pictures of that beautiful engine in its nest.

Thanks, guys.

G, thanks again for the windshield. Without it, this one would still be sitting in the box, half done!

Johann - I think it's similar to those, but with the directional shift instead of the magnification. I tried to capture the effect in a movie file, but this camera's video isn't quite clear enough to get it. In person, it's definitely a bit of a trip. lol.

I actually started this build in 2002...not sure if Dr. Cranky was around the hobby then. I've always been weird enough on my own. :D

Randy - Thanks. Yeah, I've grown real fond of mixing in Tamiya's aircraft colors on my builds. They've got a great sheen and compliment the Testors synth laq colors real nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally making some headway on this one. This stuff makes me go cross-eyed!

Trying to use restraint and just do enough detail to bring it to life. Spark plug wires were done a while back, so this round I'm tackling the carbs, stacks, throttle linkage and fuel lines. Those bits of orange holding the linkage together will get a little steel poked onto them...but I had to use a contrasting color of stretched sprue to be able to see what the heck I was doing. lol. The super-trendy clear red fuel lines are stretched taillight sprue. The black fittings are wire insulation and will get dabbed with gold. Stacks are just aluminum tubing, slice-cut and spin-polished with a little stop light red to give the whole thing another little kiss o' color.

41_Chevy_Mill_08-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Mill_09-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Mill_10-vi.jpg

Finally making some headway on this one. This stuff makes me go cross-eyed!

Trying to use restraint and just do enough detail to bring it to life. Spark plug wires were done a while back, so this round I'm tackling the carbs, stacks, throttle linkage and fuel lines. Those bits of orange holding the linkage together will get a little steel poked onto them...but I had to use a contrasting color of stretched sprue to be able to see what the heck I was doing. lol. The super-trendy clear red fuel lines are stretched taillight sprue. The black fittings are wire insulation and will get dabbed with gold. Stacks are just aluminum tubing, slice-cut and spin-polished with a little stop light red to give the whole thing another little kiss o' color.

41_Chevy_Mill_08-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Mill_09-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Mill_10-vi.jpg

Yeah, sometimes that restraint gets tossed out, which is why I tend be be so slow sometimes! LOL

Thanks, guys. Yep, Mark! lol. I'm not struggling with it too much this time. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age. :P

After fully paint-detailing the grill, I just wasn't happy with the open areas just being black. So last night I went into masochist mode and opened it up. I've already trashed one of these grills years ago by getting it too warm in the process and ending up with a farmer grill (wavy and and all whacked lookin' heheh), so this time I was extra careful and really took my time. It paid off. Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that I get some good results with the alclad. I've never developed a real good feel for the stuff, so wish me luck. :D

41_Chevy_Grill_01-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Grill_02-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Grill_03-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Grill_04-vi.jpg

Thanks, guys. Yep, Mark! lol. I'm not struggling with it too much this time. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age. :P

After fully paint-detailing the grill, I just wasn't happy with the open areas just being black. So last night I went into masochist mode and opened it up. I've already trashed one of these grills years ago by getting it too warm in the process and ending up with a farmer grill (wavy and and all whacked lookin' heheh), so this time I was extra careful and really took my time. It paid off. Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that I get some good results with the alclad. I've never developed a real good feel for the stuff, so wish me luck. :D

41_Chevy_Grill_01-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Grill_02-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Grill_03-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Grill_04-vi.jpg

Dude, that is fantastic looking! With the Alclad, be sure to shoot it at an angle. Gregg actually posted a short video under modelcarsmag over on youtube. I think there is a link from the forum somewhere as well.

Thanks, guys.

Mark, thanks for the tip! I went and found it on the tube...I'd never heard to do that before and I definitely have been shooting straight on. I'll let ya know how it works out the next time we have a warmish day to spray.