Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Purchases Lindberg/Hawk

No longer rumor:

March 20, 2013
Announcement of Acquisition

We are pleased to announce that we have recently acquired Hawk Lindberg Models based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Round 2, LLC is an innovative collectibles company located in South Bend, IN. The team at Round 2 is dedicated to producing detailed, high quality collectible and playable items appealing to the young and young at heart. Round 2 brands include Polar Lights®, AMT® and MPC® model kits, Auto World® slot cars, and Forever Fun™ seasonal products.

“This is a great opportunity for both Round 2 and Lindberg to create many popular kits with a wide range of vehicles varying from fighter planes to ships, and spaceships to human figures with features such as clear bodies and motorized action.,” said Round 2 Owner Thomas Lowe. “Lindberg is a company with a fascinating history dating back to Paul Lindberg’s first sketches in the 1930’s we are excited to add these designs to our current offering while providing the quality models that customers expect from Round 2”.

Like you, we love model building, so we're re-releasing many high quality and challenging kits - most of which haven't been on the market for over 40 years! The addition of the Lindberg tools and licenses will allow us to expand into a more diverse selection. From the connection with history to a hunger for an understanding of how various machines functioned, the Lindberg models are sure to excite modelers of all ages. The joining of forces with Hawk Lindberg will enhance our lines and allow you the greatest product line diversity ever offered by Round 2.

We look forward to serving you better as a result of the acquisition.

Sincerely,

Thomas E. Lowe

I expect this is good news for us, Round2 seems to know what's going on and has been reissuing some cool stuff. Seems like Lindberg has been stabbing in the dark lately, hopefully Round2 can find the good stuff in their library and bring it back out!

Great news! There's some great kits from Lindberg that deserve to live on. On the other hand, there are quite a few that deserve to die a quick and merciful death...

Maybe we'll finally get the "Lawman" 64 Belvedere Super Stocker kit, I was looking forward to that one.

On the other hand, it just means there is one less company that may have produced something original that you might have liked.

Maybe, but Lindberg has been among the walking dead for years...they haven't made any effort to produce anything original in a long time.

Edited by Rob Hall

The last "new" release by Lindberg was the Dodge Charger police car which was, when, 2010? Just in time for the new body style to come out. Hm, maybe with the Charger tool in Round2 hands they'll tool up the current Charger? :D

The last "new" release by Lindberg was the Dodge Charger police car which was, when, 2010? Just in time for the new body style to come out. Hm, maybe with the Charger tool in Round2 hands they'll tool up the current Charger? :D

Only the engine and chassis could be carried over from that kit to do a 2011+ car..would have to tool up new interior, body, glass, trim, wheels, etc. Plus, was that tooling even Lindbergs---it first appeared as a Testors kit back around 2007...

Well the recent good stuff they made comes to mind: 66 Chevelle SS, 1953 Ford Victoria, 1961 Impala come to mind. They were doing well for a while there. Glad to see they will not be going the way of the ghost.

Those are very nice, along w/ the '64 Dodge and Plymouth...but those weren't very recent-those first came out 15 years ago or more...

Edited by Rob Hall

Lindberg has been on the ropes since they had a massive warehouse fire a couple of years back, loosing alot of their stock in the process, much of it ending up at discount stores for cheap.

Only a win, win situation as Round 2 will now grab the ball and run with it, which is more than Lindberg has been doing lately.

Hmm...........the '34 pick-up molds have finally come home.

I bet that kit's tooling is going to be cleaned up, maybe backdated a bit, and reissued under the AMT label in the next five years.

This is big news, and it's a sign Round2 is doing well and is financially healthy. I don't have a lot of love for many Lindberg-original kits, but some of the IMC kits have some interest to me. Maybe the Bullhorn T will be back on track, too. :)

Only the engine and chassis could be carried over from that kit to do a 2011+ car..would have to tool up new interior, body, glass, trim, wheels, etc. Plus, was that tooling even Lindbergs---it first appeared as a Testors kit back around 2007...

Those are very nice, along w/ the '64 Dodge and Plymouth...but those weren't very recent-those first came out 15 years ago or more...

Rob they seemed more recent to me than my memory served. Maybe I am getting old

"Only the engine and chassis could be carried over from that kit to do a 2011+ car..would have to tool up new interior, body, glass, trim, wheels, etc. Plus, was that tooling even Lindbergs---it first appeared as a Testors kit back around 2007..."

The folks who were responsible for that kit's original release at Testors moved to Lindberg/Hawk when J Lloyd bought them. So the later Super Bee and Police Chargers are Lindberg, but the original R/T and Daytona are Testors.

"Only the engine and chassis could be carried over from that kit to do a 2011+ car..would have to tool up new interior, body, glass, trim, wheels, etc. Plus, was that tooling even Lindbergs---it first appeared as a Testors kit back around 2007..."

The folks who were responsible for that kit's original release at Testors moved to Lindberg/Hawk when J Lloyd bought them. So the later Super Bee and Police Chargers are Lindberg, but the original R/T and Daytona are Testors.

Seems that Testors funded the initial tooling costs, but when Lindberg was purchased from Testors I would have assumed (dangerous I know) that the tooling came with them. All of the Testors Chargers I have say "Molded for Testors by J. Lloyd Inc" on the side. I think the only Charger tooling that Testors kept was the diecast tooling which it released in the police variation literally YEARS before Lindberg burnt their warehouse down to finally run the plastic kit.

The Hawk stuff doesn't appeal to me either..with the Lindberg kits of the last 15 years or so ('53 Ford, '64 Dodge & Plymouth, '61 Chevy, '66 Olds, '66 Chevelle, etc) I have enough to meet my needs, but if they start tooling up variations of these... I can't imagine the 1/20th stuff that Lindberg did in the '90s will return..some interesting subjects, wrong scale.

I do admit I have a soft spot for the '70s 1/32nd Lindberg snap kits (Granada, T-Bird, Charger, etc) because those kits are where I got my start in this hobby as a kid back in the day..and the HO scale Mini-Lindys are fascinating.

I do wonder if any more of the old IMC tooling exists... I'd love to see some of their '60s racing cars return (GT-40, Chapparal, Lola, etc)..

Edited by Rob Hall