Model Cars Magazine Forum

Route 66 TV show 1961 Corvette

Bob Ellis

I wanted to create the light blue '61 Corvette used on the Route 66 TV show. The only kits available are the annual '61 Corvette kits by SMP in 1961. Unbuilts are expensive and the others are usually gluebombs.

My solution was combining a AMT '62 rear to a Revell '60 front.

Edited by Bob Ellis

This is a great solution on how to get a '61 Vette if it works. I am surprised the two would match up, I've never had any luck with that, useing issues from two different companys. I'll be watching, good luck. On the other issue, I also believe it was a '62 used on the show.

RMVW-

They did match better than I figured they would. The Revell is a multi-piece body that is easy to cut

My biggest problem was getting the AMT '62 interior tub to fit into the '60. Actually, the '60 Revell is high tech compare to the SMP/AMT '62 Corvette. The Revell does not have an interior tub and uses the frame as the interior floor. So there was a fair bit of grinding material away inside.

Original '61/'62 annual Corvette models had opening trunks and a larger interior tub. This means I have to make a new trunk floor.

Mike, I think the Revell '58s/'59s and Revell '62s might be easier since they use an interior based on the frame, instead of a tub.

I would be curious how your conversion goes. Fell free to post it here as a comparison. All in the interest of creating a kit not currently available.

You can google it, but here goes;

Pilot show- 1960 Corvette, light blue

First season- 1961 Corvette, light blue

Second season- 1962 Corvette, light brown

Third season- 1963 Corvette, light brown

Fouth season- 1964 Corvette, light brown

Bob, It makes sence now as they would have used a brand new, at the time, Corvette for every season. Maybe one of their sponsers was Chevrolet? I remember seeing the '62 featured in a Hot Rod magazine where they retraced Route 66, probably what made me think that was THE car. I was a fan of the show when I was a kid so I should have known. Anyhoo glad to see someone building a '61, a real void in most Corvette collections. The 1:1 was a rarity also. A friend of mine had one not too long ago.

Episode:To Walk With The Serpent

Route 66 filmed in Boston. With a crew of 50 people and 2 Corvettes, a lot of the show was filmed on location.

These photos compare Tod and Buzz driving a '62 Corvette on North St in 1962 and a later photo as it is now in 2015.

Building a '62 Vette would have been easier than a '61 Vette. but I like a challenge.

My favourite show when it was new - and I still love Nelson Riddle's theme music. Interesting to know the year and colour of the cars as I only ever saw it in b&w. I couldn't resist Revell's '62 diecast but I'd rather have your 61 in blue.

20f3a83e-1439-489f-9816-3bc8ba035afe_zps

Peekay, I like the Revell '62 also. I just bought one recently.

The driver in this model is clearly Martin Milner or his character Tod Stiles. The guy on the right is a generic passenger as Revell could not obtain a license from George Maharis for a representation of the Buz Murdoch character. No where on the box will you find Buz Murdoch or George Maharis. You have to paint his hair black by yourself.

Peekay, I like the Revell '62 also. I just bought one recently.

The driver in this model is clearly Martin Milner or his character Tod Stiles. The guy on the right is a generic passenger as Revell could not obtain a license from George Maharis for a representation of the Buz Murdoch character. No where on the box will you find Buz Murdoch or George Maharis. You have to paint his hair black by yourself.

Interesting - I did wonder about that.

The conversion to a 1961 Corvette is about done, except for painting.

In 1961, some of the AMT/SMP annual kits had wide white walls and the others had thin white walls. These are original wide whitewalls from a '61 Corvette kit that I scrapped/

The wire wheels came from the original AMT '57 Ford T Bird. The best I could do to match the TV show car.

Trunk rack is from my stash of parts.

post-11981-0-36859400-1422933841_thumb.j

post-11981-0-68733300-1422933857_thumb.j

post-11981-0-26064100-1422933872_thumb.j

post-11981-0-19428800-1422933881_thumb.j

Nice project, was a fan of the show when I was a kid and built many a rte 66 vette. Nice luggage rack you have. The real one has wooden cross slates

3route11k.8435.jpg

The picture is from the 63 but the rack was consistant through the series. I would take the rack and use toothpicks to make the rack, they looked funny as the were tapered.

greg

• 1 month later...

Wow, talk about Deja Vu! I started this exact same same conversion 25 years ago, using the Revell Skip's Fiesta kit and an 80's molded in red issue of the 62. Got as far as you see here pretty quickly, but then over complication-itus crept in, with all kinds of grandious plans of extra detail.... Like a better chassis, steerable wheels, etc...

IMG_0015-vi.jpg

IMG_0016-vi.jpg

Just kind of holdong the AMT grille in place behind the combination AMT and Revell bumper.... Kinda like it better than the photo-etched pieces.

IMG_0020-vi.jpg

I'll be watching your progress. Maybe one of these days I'll get back to busy on mine!