Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rural gas stop just ouside of Thomasville -1/32 scale

GTMust

Imagine it's just before WW2. This gas stop was built just outside of Thomasville on a rural road in the early 1920's, and has recently had the original gas pump replaced with a newer 1937 Wayne '60' pump. Apart from that it pretty much the same as it was when originally built.

I still have a lot to add to the model... but at least you can get an idea of where it's headed.

This is as far as I've got before making any more decisions about the way to go forward.

I'm debating whether:

a: to add another pump..... or leave it as a single pump stop?

b: to add a canopy over the pump/s?

filler3.jpg

filler1.jpg

filler4.jpg

filler2.jpg

I know I'll get some help from Ed here... but if anyone else has any ideas or comments, please feel free to jump right in.

Tony

Very nice so far , i like the very realistic office shack . You would only need an extra pump if the automobile population had increased in the area remembering that the car was very expensive in that time . Will be watching this diorama as it goes along .

Edited by scummy

No canopy and one pump. Thats just me. Noticed the rock foundation....Is it paper or scratch built ? Etched and all ? Simplicity is good !!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. No canopy and one pump it is!

Terry..... the rock foundation to the front of the building is made from molded styrene sheets from Model Builders Supply. The rear part of the building foundation has been updated with styrene "bricks" from the same company. (Part of the building renovation when the new pump was installed.)

Tony

I like the one pump . it IS rural. I was going to say a small canopy to add something to break up the bare front, but Harry's sign suggestion would do it. And, you probably had this and other things in mind anyway. :)

Lots of signs! Gas, pop, cigarettes... all the typical ones of the day. An old bench outside, oil cans and anything else I can think of.... and can either buy or make! And, of course, a few more vehicles.

Tony

I've added a fillpipe and cap for the underground storage tank. I've also removed the oversize fuel hose on the pump and substituted one made from electricians solder wire, painted black. I will locate a vent pipe near the fence as well.

There's also a pump computer box and, last but not least, an outhouse complete with toilet paper! Now to add some "stuff" including a couple of old tires, oil drums, etc. to create the mood....... Will also have to redo the grass/earth areas a little and add a bunch of bushes and a tree or two.......

Took a few shots with a sky backdrop for fun!

outhouse1.jpg

outhouse2.jpg

outhouse4.jpg

Then I'll start on the other side of the building.... maybe an old car or two for sale?

As always... input and suggestions welcome.....

Tony

After debating all the possiblilties for the right side of the building in my mind (tiny?), I decided the gas stop needs a storage shed. Here's my inspiration: (This is a great picture for my reference purposes, but if I'm breaking any copyright laws, please feel free to remove it.)

200904291799-M.jpeg

.... and here's the start of mine:

storage+4.jpg

I also added an extra 4 scale feet to the back of the office/store and reduced the front deck by the same amount.

Tony

Thanks Danny.

I'm getting a lot of inspiration from your garage dio. Pity you don't make your great resin bits and pieces in 1/32 scale........ but I'm guessing the demand would be very low. Probably wouldn't make financial sense.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had much time at the modelling workbench lately as I'm trying to get a recently aquired 1994 Ford Ranger ready for the dreaded Ontario E-test and Safety certificate to transfer the ownership into my name for a winter vehicle. So far, had to do some rear box bodywork and all new brakes and lines all round. Next a new windshield... and I should be ready?

But I have got some siding on the storage shed and metal roofs to both buildings.

shed+walls+and+roof+on.jpg

Decision to be made.......

To paint the walls with faded, peeling red paint and white trim.... or to leave as weathered wood?

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Slow going... but it's gradually taking shape.

Finished weathering the building and added some period (I hope!) advertising signs. Seems this was typical for the era and this kind of gas stop.

with+signs.jpg

from+the+right.jpg

storage+shed.jpg

"Fill 'er up!".

fill+er+up.jpg

"Be back in a minute".

the+outhose.jpg

Have to do a little more research to find out what kind of pole signs and building signs for Mobilgas would be appropriate for the era. Soon the weather will turn and I'll get a little more time to work on it.

Tony