Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rust stains on stamped concrete

Harry P.

I need to remove some rust stains off my driveway, which is stamped, colored concrete. My local home center recommended CLR, but the back of the CLR label says specifically not for use on stamped concrete.

I've heard vinegar or lemon juice will work. Any recommendations?

You can buy WD-40 by the gallon..... nothing cleans rust better, but you would have to pressure wash REALLY well afterward so noone slips in the stuff!

Maybe a spray can of the stuff? There are only a few small areas. Hmmmm..... :)

The problem with using vinegar is that it will actually erode concrete. When I worked in a materials testing lab we used vinegar to clean the concrete testing equipment. Put a slump cone in a bucket of vinegar for a few days and it looks brand new!

The problem with using vinegar is that it will actually erode concrete. When I worked in a materials testing lab we used vinegar to clean the concrete testing equipment. Put a slump cone in a bucket of vinegar for a few days and it looks brand new!

Because it's an acid. It eats the concrete. Not nearly as bad as some others, but it can still damage it. Depending on the concentration, it shouldn't damage it too bad.

Harry, I only thought of this when you said it was a new concrete driveway...

Is the rust stain on top from something metal dripping down onto it? Or - was the concrete made with stone from an area with high iron content in the sand? If so it's rusting from within, from bits of iron close to or at the top of the dried concrete.

I know in Monmouth County NJ we had this issue... in fact there was rust washing from the lawn across the sidewalks from the iron content in the soil.