Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP 1960 Corvair Resurrection

Ron Hamilton

I picked this one up at the Mid Atlantic NNL. This photo is pretty much as I got it.

2008_0818mamameetingaug080030.jpg

I removed the skirts and the chrome. The "previous" owner used the "1/2 tube of glue" method of building the car. Not overly sloppy, but glued pretty tight.

2008_0818mamameetingaug080028.jpg

As you can see, the previous owner had hogged out the flashed over holes for the mirrors and spotlights, as well as giving it a rather uneven metallic blue enamel brush job.

2008_0818mamameetingaug080029.jpg

There must have been some fins glued on the rear fenders, as there was some residue there. I started the bodywork there. The photos show the new Modelhaus bumpers and rear roll pan.

There's more at the link.

60 Corvair resurrection

Nice resto so far Ron!

I've got a '60 4 door too that I got from Toledo years ago. I was thinking about turning mine into a '63 Monza though as I like the nicer wheelcovers, and the chrome pillars a little better.

Are you gonna kitbash it with the floorpan out of the '69?--------As well as the engine?

I like those old 4 door Corvairs (and there are plenty of coupe models out there :lol: ). I restored one about 22 years ago, and it could stand some re-work now that my skills are a lot better.

Looks like a challenge, but that's not an issue as you've done plenty of work like this.

Frankly, I would change out the 4 door and convert it to a 2 door with a neat set of minilite wheels!

Nice project. :lol:

While that is an excellent idea, the 4-door is the odd ball out of the bunch, besides, I have 2-64 coupes and a '63 convertible to be restored. The 4-door will be a simple 60's cruiser with parts box wheels and tires and will be painted with whatever I come up with from the paint vault. I did a '62 Coupe years ago in Aqua with the white interior, trimmed in aqua, with American 5-spokes which I may change the wheels out to a set of wire wheels with whitewall tires. That car made the Model Cars' contest issue when I built it.

Nice resto so far Ron!

I've got a '60 4 door too that I got from Toledo years ago. I was thinking about turning mine into a '63 Monza though as I like the nicer wheelcovers, and the chrome pillars a little better.

Are you gonna kitbash it with the floorpan out of the '69?--------As well as the engine?

Bill, this one is going to be a real simple curbside. I finished the bodywork tonight, and I am going to hit it with the final primer coat tomorrow.

I like those old 4 door Corvairs (and there are plenty of coupe models out there :lol: ). I restored one about 22 years ago, and it could stand some re-work now that my skills are a lot better.

Looks like a challenge, but that's not an issue as you've done plenty of work like this.

I like your '60 Bob.

I've been looking and bidding for a 1960 4dr for years now, never won one even when I thought I had bid well over the top for a rough one. Thought they were only available as promo's

The reason was I had a 1960 700 model 4dr, it didnt handle that bad with a set of radials as long as you didn't treat it like a sports car.

This one had a gas heater unit that cleared a frosty screen/windshield in around 30 seconds, MPG economy was compromised though :) .

Neat car, looked a bit like my 60 flat top Cadillac, but smaller.

Still have lots of trim but noone wants it over here.

John