Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's a thought for us "imported"...

I do like your idea of starting something similar here. The way things are headed now I see animosity (some spoken, mostly unspoken) building "over there", and I think a move like that would promote the development of bad blood. But, I'm stradling the fence here, so you guys do what you want.

Moving it wouldn't be in the spirit of harmony IMO, combining it with other venues like this is a thought. There may be people that aren't as flexible as you or I on that idea. A separate and different event here of it's own merit and idea would be just fine, though I'd think it's best to look at a time when it won't conflict with something else.

I don't know John. I've always looked at the Dream Cruise as the highlight of the year. It's my favorite weekend. And like any other show, a lot of people try desperately to get a build finished just for the Cruise. Some even try for the highly prized, Woddington Award. :D

It's a great idea, and it's yours. In the end it's up to you. My suggestion, FWIW, would be to let it go on as planned. I know some things have changed and that is a shame but it's a real treat for the regulars and a big dose of shock and awe for the new guys.

On the other hand, if you want to do one here too I'm all for it! It is my favorite. But just in case Gregg and Jairus aren't familiar with it, you might want to prepare them... :D

huh? :shock:

Don't worry...relax and you won't feel a thing. LOL!!

Actually, the Dream Cruise is a parade of street "legal" models posted as homage to the famous Woodward cruise. Mr. Dezan can fill you in on the details. It's at least as wild as the real thing, only without the smell of burning rubber and racing gas.

I guess I should weigh in here as, obviously, I was involved in the Dream Cruise. I believe the Cruise should stay on the HH board as it has become quite a tradition there and so many people look forward to it.

I have no malice whatsoever towards the the HH Board, Tom Carter, or anyone who participates on the board. There are many people who post there who I consider friends and great modellers. Naturally, with any very large group of people, there are always going to be a few who fall into the same category as the south end of a horse.

Let them keep the tradition of the Dream Cruise. And, let them keep the name of the award, if they so desire. (For the record, I left the decision of whether to keep the "Woddington" name on the trophies, up to John because the Cruise was "his baby" from the beginning.) Should John, or anyone else, decide to change the name of the award on the HH board in the future, that would be fine with me also.

How about a completely separate event on THIS forum,,,,perhaps a Spring Thaw Cruise around the first weekend of March. Many people do much of their building over the winter months anyway and their new builds could be announced to the world HERE.

Just my two pennies.

Lloyd-vi.jpg

I like the Spring Thaw Idea, Lyle. Would be great prep for the show season, IE, NNL East, too.

I am not in favor of moving the dream Cruise over here. It would finally give those who think it's an Us vs. Them thing with the Hobby Heaven Board something to use as actual proof...and it probably would be. Needless to say, I support both boards and will continue to do so as long as I have an internet connection and the ability to type.

Lyle, great idea, your sentiments on keeping the original cruise as-is at it's home base mirror mine.

The first Saturday in March welcomes one of the first shows of the season, the MCCM Birmingham Classic NNL. A lot of us show off our winter projects at that show. It's a good weekend with a good feeling, the spring thaw idea for that weekend sounds good to me. Since we all like long weekends, perhaps start it on Friday and run it through Monday, might help anyone who may have to travel for B'ham and also the people who cruise the boards weekdays at lunch.

I think in the interest of world peace, the two similar yet completely separate events are the way to go. I think, especially after reading posts here, that overall nobody wishes an "us and them" thing to develop. Frankly, I would be disappointed in all involved to find that on either board. Lord knows, I'm an "us" and still a "them" and proud of it. I'd hate to have to pick sides--or worse, become collateral damage from the fallout.

You go, John. I think the thpring thaw is a thwell, er...swell idea.

Do I hear a "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!"?

Y'know John, this event could potentially end up w/some support from our hosts, perhaps a bit of MCM swag and a little blurb in the magazine to invite people to the event, maybe have a gallery from the event. New event, new ideas, never know where it can go.

I think in the interest of world peace, the two similar yet completely separate events are the way to go.

Why eliminate an event that's established, or go against it, when a seperate event is always welcome? Acknowledging established events would be a better choice. March sounds good. I might even get a build area again by then!

BTW: I think it would be better to think of HERE as being connected to or from THERE. Walls hurt like hell when they tumble over.....

But that's just my .02 :?

A new event is a great idea. No animosity that way.

Plus, we get two event for the price of, well, free. Why not go over there and check out the cruise while it's going on, and invite them to check out the one here when it happens? More cool stuff to look at always sounds good to me. Besides, there is very little BS that goes on during the cruise over there, so swinging thru there shouldn't be a big deal.

I've been trying to talk Gregg and Jairus into having a "Message Board Model" since I discovered the darn place...My idea is pick one random model and run it in the magazine...so that when the builder sees it, it's a total, awesome surprise. It would A) Make the recipiant extra gratefull to the magazine and perhaps even more importantly, :lol: get more builds posted.

But, that's just my thoughts...as skewed and crazy as they sometimes (always) are!