Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Ford Pick-ups 1971 Ranger XLT AND 1969 Custom SWB

SteveG

Great, THANKS Moebius Models, AGAIN!

I'm owner of Two Hudsons (Stock & Fabulous Hudson Hornet)... More to come, I have plans of Gasser and Custom Hornets, too in my head, and one Convertible of course. I have alsso Tim Flock's Chrysler, haven't bought the Stock version yet, just because of budget things. They all are truly amazing kits, and that is one reason why I'm really looking forward to these.

As said in other thread, I'm already planning to make one Hillbilly Pickup of the '71 Ranger Pickup. Little rusty and dusty, equipped with a shotgun, of course. :lol:

I have to get at least one of both versions of this kit, glad to hear that the other one is with Straight Six engine. Someone said about the Ford Bronco, yep, I would be in line for one, too. One Factory Stock and one Rock Crawler would be my inspirations, both would be the stock "Baby Blue" color. B)

Okay... did I actually just read what I thought I read?

Not one, but TWO Bumpside Fords? One with an 8-foot bed? And one with a STRAIGHT SIX????

I don't think I need to say I'm good for at least two cases of each. :wub:

I'm in complete agreeance with you, Chuck... Two cases of each, please!!!

I am absolutely in love with these trucks. They are my favorite style Ford Truck! A 1967 390/auto, F-250 Camper Special, Custom Cab was my very first vehicle. I would recommend these trucks to anybody, They are very mechanically sound, easy to work on and darn near indestructable! Mine was Sea Foam Green with a red oxide primer doghouse... U G L Y... but bulletproof. I drove it six months with a ticking wrist pin... Sold it, the new owner put a 360 in it and it's still driving around, today... Before Dad retired, he bought a '72 F-250 Custom Cab, Camper Special, 390/auto. Rebuilt and repainted, he owned it for 10 years before selling it to my brother who still has it. I'll try to get pics of it. It ended up painted black and Dad managed to find some very cool aluminum 16.5x9.5 wheels for it...

This was Dad's 36,000 original mile F-100, 360, 3 on the tree. He bought it in 2011, about a month before Mom died. She, as a first for her, encouraged him to buy it, died very unexpectedly and Dad had to sell it less than a year later because of financial reasons....

FYI, Back when these trucks first came out, Dad was a Ford Dealership Mechanic and has forgotten more about these trucks than most of us will ever know... B) Just in case you need tech info from somebody who was there...

fuxi0z.jpg

My nephew bought this one a few months after Dad bought the blue one... 72,000 original, 360 auto F-250.

anmp1v.jpg

So many variants will be posssible by kitbashing just these two kits... You could get a six or a big block in either a 100 or 250 series... behind either auto or stick. For Automatics, I believe the cast iron, 2-piece body FMX AND the aluminum body C6 were available options. Also, the 360, 390 and 428 were externally identical... except for a few 428's which had cross bolt mains... If you had a 428 x-bolt, the factory was short on 428 castings and were using 427 blocks... (I'm dictating as Dad's talking... :D )

Now, Dave, will the shortbed be an F-100 and the long bed an F-250? The main differences were the springs and tire/wheel size. Externally, F-250's were equipped with 8-lug 16.5 x 9.5 wheels and the F-100's with 5-lug 15" x 7" rims...

However they're offered, I want a lot of them!!! Moebius is quickly becoming my favorite model manufacturer!

This is great news for us pickup builders for sure! I just really hope Dave Burket doesn't gouge us on the price for the '69 short bed. I want that more than the '71! Why doesn't Moebius release the '69 under their own name? :blink: It will be a better seller than the '71 just because of the short bed and six cylinder.

That's really an undeserved and unfair shot at Dave Burket.

He subsidizes the expense of the kits issued as ModelKing exclusives because the kits would not be cost effective for the manufacturer to produce without ModelKing's subsidy. So, he either charges a fair price or you don't get the kit at all.

If you do not want to pay the ModelKing price, don't buy the kit.

But he does not gouge. That's a whole 'nother kind of situation. It does not apply to a businessman trying to recoup his investment.

And, in the case of ModelKing kits, it's an investment the manufacturer was not willing to make on its own.

:mellow:

I'm not too worried about the prices on the Model King version- judging from the standard Moebius vs. the MK versions of the Hudson and Chrysler, in the real world it seems like the MK versions only command a premium of about five bucks. No matter what, it'll be a bargain compared to the mediocre R&R '72, which sells for just north of fifty bucks.

I'm not too worried about the prices on the Model King version- judging from the standard Moebius vs. the MK versions of the Hudson and Chrysler, in the real world it seems like the MK versions only command a premium of about five bucks. No matter what, it'll be a bargain compared to the mediocre R&R '72, which sells for just north of fifty bucks.

Amen that!

B)

Buddies....i have the Hudsons and Chryslers from Moebius.

THANK YOU GUYS FROM MOEBIUS - thank you for more coming kits! I love those old Pickups...there goes the money but if they are so great like the Hudson...and i am sure...it will be a "must have".

That's really an undeserved and unfair shot at Dave Burket.

He subsidizes the expense of the kits issued as ModelKing exclusives because the kits would not be cost effective for the manufacturer to produce without ModelKing's subsidy. So, he either charges a fair price or you don't get the kit at all.

If you do not want to pay the ModelKing price, don't buy the kit.

But he does not gouge. That's a whole 'nother kind of situation. It does not apply to a businessman trying to recoup his investment.

And, in the case of ModelKing kits, it's an investment the manufacturer was not willing to make on its own.

I am thankful that someone else understands. If folks knew what Dave goes through to get kit produced most folks would not do it. I am privileged to be allowed to help out with Model King and Moebius. My name is on the side of most boxes and decal art. Burket has no agenda but to produce items to move the hobby forward......if you only knew the whole story.....

BTW...the Model KIng Moebius kits cost a little more because we pay the familys of these drivers for the license. We try and give the buyer a little more for their money as we put multiple version options on the decal sheet. Sean does some fantastic art work for the boxes. And Moebius guys are all world class when it comes to plastic models.....we are lucky to have them in this hobby.

Nuff said......

I am not worried about the price, I support Dave and his Model King business as he has brought some models to our hobby that would have otherwise not been around. Do I like to pay $25-30 for a model kit? No, but I will because it is a subject matter that I want to have.

What I have found is that with the rise in the cost of model kits, I am no longer just buying a kit for the sake of buying a kit. I would rather pass on a couple of kits on the clearance shelf at Hobby Lobby and put that money towards something I will definitely build, like these Ford Pickups. I have over 100 kits that I thought made sense at one time to buy and now I am faced with selling them off at shows!

I hope that viscious rumor about a first generation Bronco becomes a fact, because then I will be spending my lunch money faster than I can save it!

Man, this just confirms it! Moebius is my all time, most favorite model company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't thank Dave and Moebius enough for the great kits they have made and intend on making. These new Fords will be big! Very big! I know they're going to sell VERY well! I'll be doing everything I can to buy at least one case of each version!!!!!! I'm already scared that I might miss out on the Model King version!!!!!!! I sure hope Dave Burkette has a LOT of them made as I see that shortbed, six cylinder being the most popular of the two kits. How many minutes is it till I have them in my grubby lil paws?????? Tick tock, tick tock......

This is great news for us pickup builders for sure! I just really hope Dave Burket doesn't gouge us on the price for the '69 short bed.

Are you hinting at the prices the '78/9 Ford 4x4 which Model King did a few years ago commanded not too long after it was released? I think that was more a case of pent up demand and the secondary marketplace setting the price. Very similar (though on a slightly longer timescale) to what happened to the RC2 reissue of the '84 GMC 4x4 kit...and maybe what will happen with the sold out/DC'd 1/16 Monogram Pete SSP kit.

The '79 Camper Special did get marked up- there really wasn't much Dave could have done about that. Once the shops and vendors get them, they can pretty much charge whatever they want as long as people will pay it. I remember seeing the kit listed on Dave's flyer at the time (what was that- 2006 or therabouts?) for $20 or so, but I never saw one on a hobby shop shelf for less than $25. And they've gone up considerably since they were discontinued. Still, you're paying less for the MK reissue than you would for a mint original kit. I'm pretty sure that will continue to happen, but there really isn't much Dave (or Moebius for that matter) can really do about it. The markups didn't seem to be as bad on the Tim Flock Hudsons and Chryslers, but again, I think quite a few vendors mark them up simply because they're special editions.

Edited by Michigan Madman

Thank you Mobius and Dave "Model King" Burkett for having the foresight to bring these gems to us. As someone who has bought quite a few of the Model King kits in the past, I feel that Dave's pricing is very fair for the risk and effort put forth by him. I will have to buy at least one two of each. Go get 'em!!!!!!

Not only that kit,but just about every one released under the "Model King" label. The '72 Blazer and the Racer's Wedge and Camper were overpriced also. I especially didn't like having to buy a Cougar funny car and trailer just to get a Bronco. It's odd that you could buy the funny car separate,but you couldn't buy the Bronco separate. :rolleyes: To me, he's just a middle man that's throwing another company's product into his box,then charging whatever he wants. Sorry, but I'm not paying extra $ just for a box. I would pay an extra $5 for the short bed, but anything over that, I'll just do without it. I'll have plenty of the '71 long beds to keep me busy. ;)

Roger,

In most cases, Dave had to get the tooling fixed in order to run these kits. Add in the fact that he had to pay upfront and THEN sell them and hopefully you will understand why the prices were what they were. Yes, it wasn't fun to buy a Bronco and Funny Car kit to get the Bronco, but I lucked out and found people to trade with to make it even for both sides. There was a considerable financial risk taken by Dave, RC/Round 2 was not going to release these kits, and he made many modelers happy by doing so.

The reality of life is that new model kits will not be $10 anymore and given the current economy, I am extremely surprised at the number of new tools and re-issues that have been announced! I will be buying a bunch more kits, these Ford trucks among them, partly to support the efforts of these companies but more so to satisfy my wants for subject matter not offered before.

Like many things in life, consumers vote with their pocketbooks and if the prices are too much for you and others, then the product won't sell. But I have a good feeling these will be very popular and good sellers.

Well thank you Daves Metzner, Van, and Burkett! Far as vehicles sticking with me from my youth, this one hits me far squarer than any colonnade or G-body.

Meantime, I'll just whistle innocently and float a bug in y'all's ears about an early- to mid-sixties Ford styleside, maybe wonder aloud if "series" might encompass something like that...

B)

Far as vehicles sticking with me from my youth, this one hits me far squarer than any colonnade or G-body.

Same here. Between the '69 and '71 kits, I should have more than enough main ingredients to FINALLY replicate my grandfather's '68 Custom Cab longbox- the first Bumpside to play a significant role in my life. My great uncle pretty much owned a series of these, even though I can only personally remember a couple of them.

Given Moebius' track record with bringing out variants of its existing car kits, and the fact every automotive release from them is better than the last, I think there will be quite a few varaitions on the Bumpside theme from Moebius in the coming years. Not a bad deal at all, if you ask this cat. B)

How did I miss this? Count me in! My grandpap bought a brand new 1970 F100 Ranger XLT longbed, black, 2WD with a 360 and 3 on the tree. Then my dad traded it in for a new 77 F-250, which I still have (albeit in pieces lol). I've only seen one picture of it, but pap should be able to fill in any gaps. I can't wait!