Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another one painted!

Tom Kren

Ditto. I have to wonder if any kit purists screamed when they saw this hard-to-find kit modified like this? Time seems ripe for some kind of 2-in-1 reissue.

Then they'll hate me for this....

I bashed mine into a 327ci Malibu SS by cutting up two Z-16 tail light panels to make a correct Chevelle/Malibu panel, cut the back of the car out to fit it, added a parts box small block, and AMT '66 Nova SS wheels. This is a pretty close replica of my Dad's first brand new car, which he had when he and Mom got married. I gave it to him for Christmas a few years back, which makes this build even cooler.

65malibuss-1.jpg

65malibuss-2.jpg

I bashed mine into a 327ci Malibu SS by cutting up two Z-16 tail light panels to make a correct Chevelle/Malibu panel, cut the back of the car out to fit it, added a parts box small block, and AMT '66 Nova SS wheels. This is a pretty close replica of my Dad's first brand new car, which he had when he and Mom got married. I gave it to him for Christmas a few years back, which makes this build even cooler.

65malibuss-1.jpg

65malibuss-2.jpg

Vey very nice!!!

65malibuss-1.jpg

65malibuss-2.jpg

Wow, that's really nice! Mainstreaming at it's very best.

that looks great and from the photos the paint looks to be a good match to the stock paint as well!

but i got a question about this "mainstream/mainline" term.

my understanding is that it refers to the not really "base" model but a mid line model of a particular car series like the malibu. in this case i would imagine it would be the bench seat malibu with a 283 motor.

this one though is a super sport, and from the looks of the flag on the fender it has a 396 (or maybe im not remembering my chevy flags properly...i know my 1:1 toyota land cruiser with a fuel injected 350 has a corvette 327 fi insignia on it (that i put there along with the motor into the engine compartment) but thats pretty much where my knowledge of chevy insignias ends, but i digress).

dscn64681jk.jpg

the point is, is this really a mainliner being an SS model and all?

just curious about the terms, not to take away from the build or anything.

....but i got a question about this "mainstream/mainline" term. my understanding is that it refers to the not really "base" model but a mid line model of a particular car series like the malibu. in this case i would imagine it would be the bench seat malibu with a 283 motor......

Chevy put the SS badges on everything, as it was mostly a trim/appearance package more than a performance package. A 327 Malibu SS with bucket seats is a whole lot more common than the 396ci Z-16 Chevelle. "Mainstreamer" refers to a more common variant of a particular car, rather than the most exotic - in this case, Malibu SS vs Z-16. In the end, all I wanted to do was build a model for my dad :wink:

Oddly enough, I bought 5 of these kits when they first came out, and have yet to actually do a Z-16. Instead, I converted one to an L79 SS convertible.

DSCN0140-vi.jpg

In the real world, this was a fast machine before Chevy squeezed in a big block.

DSCN2922-vi.jpg

At the time, I couldn't find a suitable boot, so I scratchbuilt one and the associated side doglegs.

DSCN2921-vi.jpg

The engine and wheel covers came from an AMT '66 Nova. It has a complete Model Car Garage photoetch set, except I kept the kit grille.

DSCN0139-vi.jpg

This car was featured in Plastic Fanatic, #50, the forunner to the great MCM we have now.

Hey Tom K.,,,,,isn't it cool how we all hijacked your original post? :lol:

Nice hijack Lyle! My buddy in HS drove a very similar white/red '64 Malibu HT, neat car and color combo and I've always liked this model of yours and 64/65 Malibus in general. His Malibu taught me firsthand the dynamics of oversteer :shock: :lol: