Model Cars Magazine Forum

RRRobot! 12th Scale Rolling Robot with Pilot...Finished!

RRRobot Pilot!

Dolores painted this Tamiya Driver for me about 15 years ago. Looks like a perfect candidate to control RRRobot!

DSCN4198R_zps1378067c.jpg

Had to give him a trim to fit inside RRRobot.

DSCN4225R_zps69003cf5.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Cookies!

I'm starting on the Cockpit for RRRobot. I found a tray from a package of Cookies that should work just fine...

DSCN4239R_zps165c620d.jpg

I cut the end off of the Cookie Tray and sprayed it with DupliColor Filler/Primer. I am also going to use part of this Seat that I found in a 12th Scale 57 Chevy Box.

DSCN4246R_zpsc08844ed.jpg

More Coming... B)

Pilots Seat!

I cut the top from the Chevy Seat and fit it to the Pilots Back & Head.

DSCN4712R_zps7598469d.jpg

I added 2 strips of square Plastic Tubing to the front edge of the Pilots platform. This will make attaching to RRRobot easy. I also painted the Seat Back.

DSCN4835R_zpsb7175c7f.jpg

Here is the Pilot with the Seat Back attached.

DSCN4843R_zpsefc39986.jpg

More Coming... B)

Cookies!

I'm starting on the Cockpit for RRRobot. I found a tray from a package of Cookies that should work just fine...

DSCN4239R_zps165c620d.jpg

I cut the end off of the Cookie Tray and sprayed it with DupliColor Filler/Primer. I am also going to use part of this Seat that I found in a 12th Scale 57 Chevy Box.

DSCN4246R_zpsc08844ed.jpg

More Coming... B)

Like this idea so much that I'm going to use it later :D

Geeze Ira...... what don't you use when building your models??? Now a plastic cookie tray...!!! Talk about creativity and thinking outside the box...!!! You're amazing... Go man go!

Thanks Richard!

I really enjoy Hunting Down Parts & Things for Projects. So glad you are enjoying RRRobot... B)

Edited by Ira

I agree with Rich. I bet for everything you see you are trying to figure out how to use it on a model. Keep it up. We love it.

Thanks Ray!

Yeah, when I need something for a project I start in the Hobby Room, then I start searching in the House, Shop & Garage... B)

Magnesium, Copper & Brass!

I'm painting Metallic Colors on the back side of RRRobot now, using both Tamiya & Vallejo Paints.

DSCN4968R_zps83770842.jpg

Here is the Lower Front of RRRobot. I'm going to add more Brass, then some Red and Black.

DSCN4975R_zpsd8bb7836.jpg

More Coming... B)

Adding More Details!

You can add a lot of detail to a kit with Plastic and Aluminum Tubing. I painting some Plastic Tubing with Tamiya Silver Leaf and cut 2 short lengths off.

DSCN4990R_zpsf0225270.jpg

I am going to mount the Tubing over the 2 little plastic nipples sticking up.

DSCN4994R_zps4c1a7040.jpg

Here is one glued in place.

DSCN4995R_zps2f15983b.jpg

More Coming... B)

More Greebles!

I cut 2 lengths of Aluminum Tubing and glued them in the holes under the 2 Plastic Tubes.

DSCN5074R_zps850fdfa1.jpg

Next I added some Pod Racer Plumbing next to the Edsel Vents. A Car "A" Arm was added between the Sides and the Ball Tire.

DSCN4999R_zpsd6135ca5.jpg

Bullet Fuel Tanks were added next to the X-Wing Engines. Then I added 8 Weber Carbs from the AMT Double Dragster Kit.

DSCN5000R_zps7c6b1a5f.jpg

More Coming... B)

Unpainting & a Wash!

I tried painting the Lines or Hoses with a small brush and I messed it up. Then I tried a toothpick but that didn't work too well. So I cleaned up and touched up the mess. Next I tried removing the Silver Paint from the Lines with an X-acto Knife, that worked! The Blue Plastic shows through where I scraped off the paint.

DSCN4982R_zps4be0bb6e.jpg

Then I finished painting all of the details and applied a Black Wash from "The Detailer".

DSCN5034R_zpsd9eece12.jpg

After the Wash dried I sprayed on a couple of coats of Testors Glosscote.

DSCN5039R_zps88d7cd99.jpg

More Coming... B)

You use a lot of metalizers on you builds and I was wondering if you airbrush them or just use a paint brush ?

I've tried using a brush without much luck , it usually takes 2 or 3 coats and is never very smooth .

Thanks Bob!

I hand paint the Details. I like Tamiya Acrylic Metallics, they cover and level out nicely... B)