Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 scale '32 Ford ?

I've looked. I've found 1/25, 1/24, 1/16 and 1/8. Anybody ever come across one in 1/12?

Or does anyone have a recommendation for a good one in diecast? I've seen some pretty poor ones and a few OK ones in 1/18, but I need something accurate. Roadster with a good body, grille and frame, fenderless is fine. 1/12 only.

I'm still searching, but I thought I'd ask if anybody knows, like, right off hand, or has a diecast they're particularly impressed with.

EDIT: I found a 1/12 3-window coupe diecast. That's all so far.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ace,

My father used to build the old Hubley cars. I don't know what scale they where (they were bigger) I know the company has been moth balled for years.

Maybe a search of what they used to offer and go from there. just a thought!

jwrass

Weren't the old Hubleys, at least the metal ones, 1/20th scale? I know they did Model As. But I don't recall a '32 Ford.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Ace,

My father used to build the old Hubley cars. I don't know what scale they where (they were bigger) I know the company has been moth balled for years.

Maybe a search of what they used to offer and go from there. just a thought!

jwrass

Hubley did their series of Model A Fords in 1/20th scale, but never produced a '32.

Art

I've looked. I've found 1/25, 1/24, 1/16 and 1/8. Anybody ever come across one in 1/12?

Or does anyone have a recommendation for a good one in diecast? I've seen some pretty poor ones and a few OK ones in 1/18, but I need something accurate. Roadster with a good body, grille and frame, fenderless is fine. 1/12 only.

I'm still searching, but I thought I'd ask if anybody knows, like, right off hand, or has a diecast they're particularly impressed with.

EDIT: I found a 1/12 3-window coupe diecast. That's all so far.

Bill,

In all my years working in, and owning my own hobby shop, I never saw any 1/12 scale '32 Fords of any body style.

Art

Bill I'm curious who makes the 16th scale 32 ford.

I may have been mistaken. I could have sworn I came across a '32 in 1/16, and was surprised because all I'd seen previously were the Minicraft 1/16 '30-'31 Fords. I've been looking for the '32 today and so far, no joy.

Most likely, I mis-identified the Minicraft "Rockin Roadster" kit as a '32 due to its painted grille shell and V8 engine. If anybody should know better (and should have looked more carefully before ASSUMING) it's me.

I'll probably use a Minicraft '31 body shell for dimensions in 1/16, scale up to 1/12, and scratch build the '32 rails. I have real ones and blueprints for reference.

I'm about to commit to building this in 1:1 (this is 1/25), and I have most of the mechanical parts in 1/12 (911 gearbox and front suspension, 240Z engine and rear suspension).

I'm kinda wanting to do a large-scale model to work some things out before I start cutting and welding steel.

DSCN4109.jpg

DSCN4071.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I am wondering how you will handle the rear wheel travel exhibited in cars that have IRS...IE, will the inside top of the rear tires rub on the body under real hard acceleration?

Not if I build it right. :)

It would be more of a potential problem with a swing-axle setup like old VW Bugs, an almost non-existent potential problem with upper & lower control arm geometry (which tends to keep the wheels more vertical in general). Though the old Jag rear end that you see under a lot of rods uses the axle as the upper control arm, the geometry is essentially the same as upper and lower arms. Tire scrubbing is not an issue given adequate clearance, as the wheels don't lean in much during suspension movement. And there's a fine line you have to walk, getting the distance of the tires far enough from the body for clearance without looking goofy.

The 240Z rear suspension uses a lower control arm and a strut (with a coil-spring). The strut limits how far in the rear wheel can lean under bump and roll conditions. It's not as good geometry as upper-lower links, but is adequate for a very light car on radial tires. Both 240s and 911s can be made to handle phenomenally well using this suspension.

The 911 front suspension uses a lower control arm (with an internal torsion bar for springing) and also uses a vertical strut to control wheel movement. I'd prefer to replace the strut with an upper control arm (primarily to allow me to use a lower headlight mounting position, as the headlight buckets as shown are positioned to anchor the tops of the shock-struts internally).

These particular difficulties are why I want to do a 1/12 model before I start in on the full scale build. I also want to incorporate period-look "hairpins" to substitute for parts of the stock control arms, and working this all out in scale, at least partially, will save me a lot of time and expense on the real build. I've learned about as much as I can from the 1/25 scale model.

The reason I'm using this odd conglomeration of parts is because it's light and it's some of what I had left over in the basement from years of building stuff. My Z engine has triple Weber carbs (and has a glorious sound !!) and the gearbox is 944 Turbo actually, so the rotational direction problem is already solved. Plus, the gearbox, originally sourced by Porsche from an Audi truck, will take anything the Z engine can possibly put out.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Of course, you could always build this up in 1/8th scale--but whoa Nellie! That could get EXPENSIVE, what with the price of a Monogram Big Deuce, and I'd hate to think what a Momongram Big Jag kit would set you back! ;)

Art

Well, that one might get built too. I have a Jag 4.2 engine in the shed, and a gluebomb Big Jag, plus a few 1/8 rod kits I bought when they were cheap. The real Jag 4.2 is about as heavy as a Hemi though, with nowhere near the power. Not what I'm after at this point in time. Light, quick, and agile is the name of this game.

Yeah Art I wss thinking that also but he's going to use the tamiya 12th scale Datsun parts for the drivetrain so that why the12th scale.

Exactly. Tamiya 1/12 240Z and Porsche 911 donors. Easier for me to scratch a '32 frame and body shell than to do accurate engine and driveline parts.

I would love to have a 32 in 1/16th scale.... :D Just wish one was made... :lol:

I've been looking around at possible donors for a '32 Ford in 1/16...engines, wheels, axles, etc....and there seem to be enough to make a variety of builds possible. A good body shell and frame rails would be relatively easy to master. Stock fenders would be a little more challenging.

Hmmmm...

could the minicraft '31 ford fenders be used as a starting point?

Absolutely. I'd realized that shortly after I'd posted. The body shell would be a good starting point too, I believe. The '31 and '32 are visually similar, with the earlier car being a little smaller overall. I've modified a '32 roadster body shell (in 1/25) into a '31, and going the other way should be easier.