Model Cars Magazine Forum

IH Loadstar Diecast & Pressed Steel Combo

AzTom

I have this one started now but it's going rather slow. The cab is a 1/16 Ertl International diecast cab from the 70's. The trailer is a Wyanndott pressed steel trailer for the early 50's.

As you can see the cab has been well played with a painted several times.

IMG_0570-vi.jpg

Here is the cab cleaned up and shown with the tailer as found.

IMG_0764-vi.jpg

Edited by AzTom

Thanks Guys.

I'm not sure on the color yet, probably why it's going so slow. I was thinking Oliver tractor colors, the dark green and clove, light green almost white used on the Oliver wheels. That way I could use it as a hauling truck for a couple of restored Oliver show tractors being 1/16 scale.

It's a little large for 1/18 but I do have a few 1/16 cars so I could go that way as well. ?????????

The truck and trailer measures 24in long.

The ends of the diecast bumper were broken off so I cleaned up the break and made a new brass bumper. I'm using 4 - 1-72 hex head screws to mount it to the truck. I plan to BMF the bumper then do the bolts after installed.

IMG_4333-vi.jpg

IMG_4335-vi.jpg

Thanks

Now comes the never ending hours of getting an old high mileage truck smoothed out.

IMG_4337b-vi.jpg

I'm not going to go all out detailing this one. I like to keep most of the original look of the old toys so they have the aged feel about them. That said, I am going to add some simple mirrors to the truck.

IMG_4346-vi.jpg

Worked on the fifth wheel today.

Cleaned off the rust and removed the latch, spot welded a new release arm on and riveted it back together.

The arm is the belt clip off of a Sheffield box cutter type knife. You Never throw anything away :P

IMG_4353-vi.jpg

IMG_4356-vi.jpg

IMG_4355-vi.jpg

Edited by AzTom

• 11 months later...

Okay, I know you think I forgot about this build, :blink:

Shortly after starting this we decided it was time to move for the third time that "We are never doing that again". So we started building a new house and packing to old one. Almost a year later I'm finely getting my junk unpacked.

Anyway, enough of the excuses, it's time to get started again, although I still have little time between getting house stuff setup.

I kind of accidently came up with some mirrors and would like to know what you guys think. They don't need to look factory stock as the truck is a light custom.

IMG_4587-vi.jpg

IMG_4591-vi.jpg

So what do you think, does it look proportional? Real?