Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dually wheels and tires?

Im looking for a set of dually wheels and tires to fit on the new meng f350. I know you can get some from the modelhaus and also the monogram ford but I am looking for more of a late model wheel with bigger off-road tires. Would even consider 19.5 or 22.5 alcoa wheels but need more aggressive tires. I am wanting to build another welding rig and in order to get around on the ROW you need some good tread. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by zaina

• 3 weeks later...

Andy, there is a real hole in the tire section of what is available for stock sized 16" and 16.5" grip tires and bud style baby duals for an older stock one ton. I'm sure that there would be a market for them if someone made some old style bias plays as well as radials but I guess that most everyone's hung up on fat tires. I'm fairly sure that sets of OEM style dual wheels would sell well given how guys are buying dually lits just for the wheels and tires, but some older style tires would be a welcome option to a lot of us. I've asked in the past for someone to cast stuff for older one tons and ton and a halfs, but so far, no joy. I have a few projects that are stalled because I refuse to use wheels that make an otherwise acceptable model look like a dime store toy. Too bad that there isn't a website dedicated exclusively to light and medium duty trucks only, including emergency vehicles such as ambulances which are all of F350 - F450 chassis now, fire fighting support rigs, tow trucks and so on.

I saw a late model (2012/3) F350 Crew Cab Dually (4WD)with an Utility Box up close yesterday and it was running 17" wheels. I don't know of any wheels that size available in resin or kit form but I believe that the Monogram F350 kit had 16" wheels and the AMT SnapFast Chevy Dually had similar sized wheels. The AMT wheels are available from The Modelhaus as well and to be honest, probably couldn't tell the difference in size at 1:24 scale.

If I get a chance tonight to dig out the kits mentioned above and their wheels, I will compare them to the Meng kit wheels/tires to see if they would work. I also have some American Satco Bridgestone tires to use if needed but hopefully the kit tires will work.

I've got a 2008 Ford F250 at work and it is running 17" rims stock. Have a couple of late model F450/550 trucks at work as well and they areusing the same 17" rim as the 250/350 downsizing from the 19.5" rims on the older trucks.

The older duallies would have had a 16 or 16.5" rim (not that this difference would be terribly obvious in 1/25). I don't think there is anything out the in the aftermarket specifically for these newer trucks. There isn't a lot out there for the older trucks.

You might have a look wheels / tires for 1/32 or 1/35 military trucks. A 1/35 scale 22.5" wheel would scale out to about 16", 1/32 17.5" and would most likely have a beefy military style tread.

There used to be a 1/32 scale Japanese kit of a school bus that has some heavy duty dual wheels. I got several sets of resin repops some years ago that I have used with Satco tires on various projects. The last set went on my ramp truck. There are resin versions of the bus body out there but I have not seen the wheels.

IMG_2108.jpg

I think that there is a very large hole in the truck tire aftermarket parts. I have seen too many requests here and other places concerning duallies and tandem tire combinations. Who if any will step up and provide some relief for this dilemma???

Edited by raildogg

I think that there is a very large hole in the truck tire aftermarket parts. I have seen too many requests here and other places concerning duallies and tandem tire combinations. Who if any will step up and provide some relief for this dilemma???

there is, if you got the money for it i got all of american forces catalog drawn among some one offs i got the average down to 30 for a full set. i dont get request for 6 and 8 lugs so i never bothered putting any time on them.

W0z4WY5.jpg

rSqZkTh.jpg

W0z4WY5.jpg

TWt8p4E.jpg

kRJlFtK.jpg

there is, if you got the money for it i got all of american forces catalog drawn among some one offs i got the average down to 30 for a full set. i dont get request for 6 and 8 lugs so i never bothered putting any time on them.

W0z4WY5.jpg

rSqZkTh.jpg

W0z4WY5.jpg

TWt8p4E.jpg

kRJlFtK.jpg

Those look nice but can you make them any diameter and width?

..this might be a bit premature but I've been working on these 17" newer style Ford duallys. Their close to the master stage, hope to have them ready in a week or so.

DSCN4877_zps9b617806.jpg

DSCN4874_zps7e70b856.jpg

Would be very interested. Will they fit the meng tires? Will they be offered in chrome? And how much for a set?

Andy, the dually wheels are a scale 17" but the Meng wheels scale out to about 19" so the kit tires will be too big. I do have some tires lined up for these wheels but I'm open to suggestions. Not sure about offering them in chrome yet, will have to look into that for cost. As for price per set, I'm still not sure if the rears will be one piece or two, that will be a factor in the pricing.

Andy, there is a real hole in the tire section of what is available for stock sized 16" and 16.5" grip tires and bud style baby duals for an older stock one ton. I'm sure that there would be a market for them if someone made some old style bias plays as well as radials but I guess that most everyone's hung up on fat tires. I'm fairly sure that sets of OEM style dual wheels would sell well given how guys are buying dually lits just for the wheels and tires, but some older style tires would be a welcome option to a lot of us. I've asked in the past for someone to cast stuff for older one tons and ton and a halfs, but so far, no joy. I have a few projects that are stalled because I refuse to use wheels that make an otherwise acceptable model look like a dime store toy. Too bad that there isn't a website dedicated exclusively to light and medium duty trucks only, including emergency vehicles such as ambulances which are all of F350 - F450 chassis now, fire fighting support rigs, tow trucks and so on.

I've just started looking for a set to fit a circa 1976 Ford one ton. Along with the modern set, there is a need for older wheels.

I see Danny has a new 16" dually??? along with the 17" No pic on the website yet, but maybe....

I've just started looking for a set to fit a circa 1976 Ford one ton. Along with the modern set, there is a need for older wheels.

I see Danny has a new 16" dually??? along with the 17" No pic on the website yet, but maybe....

...Cary, once the 17's are finished I do have plans for 2 different sets of the 16's for the 1 tons....

• 2 weeks later...

For '70s style duallie wheels, the Modelhaus wheel & tire sets should work...they are based on the '90s AMT Chevy duallie wheels. T-800, bottom left.

DSCN2486-vi.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall