Model Cars Magazine Forum

straighten out a resin body

I have Shawn Carpenter's 1962 Grand Prix conversion and I am going to start working on it later this month. My question is as I am looking at the body from the rear and notice the body is a little off , unbalanced or slightly warped. What is the best way to straighten it out. I was wondering if leaving it in hot water for awhile then working with it my work? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I have Shawn Carpenter's 1962 Grand Prix conversion and I am going to start working on it later this month. My question is as I am looking at the body from the rear and notice the body is a little off , unbalanced or slightly warped. What is the best way to straighten it out. I was wondering if leaving it in hot water for awhile then working with it my work? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hot water and ice water has always worked well for me with resin. Heat it up , shape it, quench it in ice water to set the shape.

Hot water and then ice will work BUT...............make sure NOT to wash the body in hot water again to clean it as the distortion may come back. Resin does have a memory and it can go back to the shape it was before you changed it.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using a dehydrator to quick dry the paint as the warp in the resin can also return this way.

HTH!

Hot water and ice water has always worked well for me with resin. Heat it up , shape it, quench it in ice water to set the shape.

Two questions how long do you think I should leave it in hot water? Also how hot, just normal tap water hot? I am using MCW paint laquer and it dries pretty quick. Thanks again

You need hot water hotter than tap water and cooler than boiling. A wide pan on the stove that you can dunk most of the body into all at once once the pan starts getting a few bubbles forming. Dunk it for just a second or so, that may be all it needs, and try to shape it back. You'll know quickly if it was enough or not. Redunk as necessary. It should never take more than a few seconds. The resin is pretty forgiving, it won't do anything (like warp out of control) without you doing the flexing. Just flex it carefully in the opposite direction of the warp, hold it, check it...it's pretty easy.

I have the same resin GP, and it was perfect when I got it but it warped a bit in the storage box when repacked it carelessly. It will go back to the right shape; I use a container of cool water to hold the new shape.

You need hot water hotter than tap water and cooler than boiling. A wide pan on the stove that you can dunk most of the body into all at once once the pan starts getting a few bubbles forming. Dunk it for just a second or so, that may be all it needs, and try to shape it back. You'll know quickly if it was enough or not. Redunk as necessary. It should never take more than a few seconds. The resin is pretty forgiving, it won't do anything (like warp out of control) without you doing the flexing. Just flex it carefully in the opposite direction of the warp, hold it, check it...it's pretty easy.

I have the same resin GP, and it was perfect when I got it but it warped a bit in the storage box when repacked it carelessly. It will go back to the right shape; I use a container of cool water to hold the new shape.

Thanks