Model Cars Magazine Forum

1920's Ford Model "T" Ambulance

Hi Guys,

Well, while waiting for my Gator Grip glue to arrive for my HEMTT project, I thought that I would start a project with some sentimental value. I began me EMS career as a volunteer with the Palmyra, (NJ) Ambulance Association. They were founded back in 1921, and are reportedly the oldest emergency squad in continuous service in the country. History aside, their first vehicle was depicted on the 75th Anniversary t-shirts

2012-12-03_14-53-55_999-1.jpg

Now I am not an expert on early vehicles, but had picked up this kit at the NNL East a few years ago with this project in mind.

2012-12-10_22-37-13_775.jpg

I knew that there would need to be some modifications to the kit, as this is what the kit side looks like:

PalmyraAmb_02.jpg

The box art conveniently shows a side view of the stock kit. I took some blank index card stock, cut it to shape and mocked up some of the changes that would be required:

2012-12-03_14-53-05_406.jpg

I have made additional progress and will post an update shortly.

All comments and feedback are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Edited by hooknladderno1

Hi Guys, A brief update... Work has continued on modifying the kit body to more closely resemble the 1:1 ambulance. As you will recall, this was the kit side" PalmyraAmb_02.jpg It now looks like this: 1355689257-picsay1.jpg While not the cleanest build, you can see the high degree of changes that were made. A bit of surface preparation will be done in the next few days. Here is the stock rear: 2012-12-14_21-50-57_5.jpg And the updated rear: 1355689340-picsay1.jpg It looks really cool when taped together(IMHO)... :D Thanks for looking!

Edited by hooknladderno1

Now this is my type of build!

I've lost track of how many Model T variants I've built over the years, but this one is an Ambulance version I've never seen before.

Usually I build in 1/32 scale and this is an example of a 1/32 scale WW1 ambulance built from the Pyro Model T Coupe kit. Don't mean to steal your thread, but thought you might like to see it.

ModelTa.jpg

I'm going to be following your build with enthusiasm!

Tony

• 2 months later...

Tony,

Nice ambulance! When looking up Ford ambulances from that era, most of the photos are of that style. I have made some progress on my project. The frame and engine have been built up.

picsay-1361157590.jpg

picsay-1361150886.jpg

I usually don't build engines on my models, but thought I would give it a try on this one. While researching what color paint the engine would have had, I came across this really neat article.http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/P-R.htm#paint1 . In addition to the color reference information, there is a great article by Trent Bogess in the text which explains how Fords of this era were painted and with what.

Now, as few photos can be found of what the rear of these ambulances looked like, I am taking some "artistic license" with this build. I was able to find these pictures of a "closed" style ambulance on the Internet.

1912-ford-rear_exterior.jpg

1912-ford-rear_inside.jpg

As you can see, the interior is VERY basic. I did attempt to replicate the vertical "ribs" on the interior, as well as working on replicating the wood grain that is prevalent on these era rigs. I have added additional trim to the rear doors, which has had Apoxisculpt applied to the joints. Hopefully this weekend I will have a chance to sand and fine tune those joints. I am also researching what type of hinges would have been found on rear doors of these vehicles, as I might attempt to open the rear doors. I will probably include a doctor's bag in the interior, as the local doctor may have accompanied sick patients on the 20 mile ride from town to the hospital... I plan to go with a black paint scheme with gold leaf lettering. The lettering will feature a thin red outline. I have been working on it in CorelDRAW and hope to get my ALPS printer going as well. More to come :)

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

David , one thing to remember in doing bodies for any Ford Model T or Model A is the fact that most employed Square edges as opposed to bodies of the Early Ford era , 1932-53 . This makes for building a specialized body a lot easier than the newer trucks . Then too, one can gain valuable scratch building experience when starting on such a project . Once you've gained confidence , then take on the newer trucks...........

Now this is so cool!!! :) I never cease to marvel at the projects that you guys take on and how good they turn out! This will be an awesome model - definitely something to be proud of based on what you have done so far. Nice work and I am sure that this thread will have a large following! :D

Great news! (at least for me :D ). The ALPS printer survived the move! I was able to create the decals described above.
picsay-1362639156.jpg
picsay-1362639056.jpg
This was the rough draft to see if I could create something that would be small enough to fit the space, but still be readable. The second version of these contains a single layer of gold, which will be overlayed by a red outline. Thanks to the guidance of some great modelers from another forum (thanks Rich and Bob), I did indeed decide to create a tailgate to replace the full rear doors.
picsay-1362639251.jpg
picsay-1362638951.jpg
picsay-1362639365.jpg
The yellow color that you see on the interior is the first step in replicating a woodgrain pattern for the interior. Obviously, the project is currently held together by Tamiya masking tape. Lots more to do! Thanks for looking!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,
Another update! After carefully masking off the "natural wood" areas, I painted the exterior with two coats of Tamiya rattle can gloss black. Between coats, each surface was treated to a warm relaxing visit to the dehydrator, followed by a light wet sanding. I am not happy with the resulting finish, as shown by the pictures below:
picsay-1363730244.jpg
picsay-1363730354.jpg
picsay-1363730531.jpg
I may sand down the areas that are black, especially along the raised horizontal molding below the window opening of the ambulance body... I plan to refinish it with some Model Master or Duplicolor gloss black after doing some compatibility testing... Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

David

• 2 years later...

I like where you're going on this build.I have converted my share of model T's as well.There are almost endless ways to build them.You might want to consider adding some roll up/down side crutains on this truck as the open sides would not be very practical on the dirt roads of that era or during bad weather.

I'll be watching with intrest.Thanks for sharing with us!

Edited by misterNNL

how did this finish up?

some incentive maybe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=93&v=pZWRQQzr5QE

Hi Joe,

Been working on this project off and on since the last update. After looking over the proportions of the heavily modified kit body, I quickly realized that I was WAYYYYY off. Now, what would any sane, detail oriented modeler do - just wrap it up and call it done? Or cut the frame, scratchbuild new side panels, curve the rear frame and work hard to get it to more closely resemble the original... Yes, you guessed it - I chose option number 2. This is just a quick "Mock up Monday" view with my old friend "Blue Tac". Please keep in mind that the cab doors will be extended to meet the front cowl. Tons more to do, but making progress. Thanks for your interest guys!

2012-12-03_14-53-55_999-1.jpg

1428982831_20150413_232759-picsay.jpg

1428980365_20150413_225732_RichtoneHDR-p

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

• 3 weeks later...