Model Cars Magazine Forum

One more for tonight: 2-car garage with servant's quarters

ChrisBcritter

18-20 deep garage given that time wasn't unheard of . I see a bunch of garages here , ( Richmond Virginia ) that cars built no larger than say a typical Ford Model A would fit into . That is a primary reason I nearly gave away a 70 Ford can and instead kept the 53 Ford Panel I still dive on occasion today when I was Forced to return here from a "REAL " city like Dallas Texas. Streets in the city weren't designed for anything longer than MAYBYE 20 feet long anyway .............

My house was built in 1903. There is a single car garage at the rear probably built around the 1920's and it's only 17' long! Just long enough to get my 1986 Mustang GT inside and close the barn style doors..... but not long enough to walk around the car! The car is being restored so you can imagine how difficult it is to get anything done. Fortunately it's 14' wide, so that helps a bit!

Tony

Neat garage. That would be cool to build!

I've had my share of short garages. My last house was on a corner and the original owner added the attached two car garage. They needed to maintain the set back off the property line, so the garage was a bit less than 20' deep.

My first house had a detached single car garage. A neighbor who was an original owner from 1950 told me that one day he saw the original owner of my house had his 1950 Ford parked up on the hill. He wondered why then saw he had placed stakes around it. That's how he sized the garage. Very narrow and also short. When I had my 1960 Buick, I'd back it in until I touched the back wall. Then I still had to pull the garage door out slightly to get it to close over the front bumper tip!

In case anyone is interested and wants to make a visit to the Library of Virginia , one can get copies of building plans of actual houses in Richmond . Any building that cost more than 10,000.00 in 1940 also has the ability to go in and see actual building plans on file . I've done it for some wealthy clients who wanted doll houses made of their homes .