Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 49 Merc Engine Question?

Not to try and change the subject of the thread but could anyone tell me what type of caddy motor they put in the revell 49 merc kit? Any help would be appreciated

I don't have the kit, but my guess is it's one of the first-design series of OHV Cad V8s from '49-'62. They were a popular swap, and they all look pretty much alike ('49-51, 331ci; '56-58 365ci; and '59-'62 390ci). I THINK the 331 had an extended bellhousing to allow a manual gearbox to be used, so that might be a clue.

The excellent Revell parts pack Caddy engine is incorrectly labeled as a 354 (a Chrysler Hemi displacement) but actually represents the 331-390, so comparing it to the engine in the '49 Merc kit would be abother clue.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I don't have the kit, but my guess is it's one of the first-design series of OHV Cad V8s from '49-'62. They were a popular swap, and they all look pretty much alike ('49-51, 335ci; '56-58 365ci; and '59-'62 390ci). I THINK the 331 had an extended bellhousing to allow a manual gearbox to be used, so that might be a clue.

The excellent Revell parts pack Caddy engine is incorrectly labeled as a 354 (a Chrysler Hemi displacement) but actually represents the 331-390, so comparing it to the engine in the '49 Merc kit would be abother clue.

Soooo is it safe to say its most likely the caddy 335ci....lol? Sorry man I get a little lost with the motor info, I'm still trying to teach myself but the numbers get more mixed up in my head then eggs get scrabbled...haha. Thanks for the help Will.

It really depends on what the model's designers had in mind, but it should be safe to call it either a 331, a 365, or a 390 as they all look alike basically. It would depend on the exact period you want your model to reflect.

I wonder why Revell didn't use the old parts-pack tooling, if it is indeed supposed to be one of these engines, because the parts-pack is excellent, and the pix of the Merc version I've seen don't look all that sharp to me.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Hi Carl. Since you're using a Caddy mill in a Merc, it's safe to say it's a custom? With the purple body color, & you mentioned gold, the logical choice would be to go with gold as yellow is purples complimentary on the color wheel. l think a yellow block with gold valve covers, air cleaner & other accents (or vice versa) with purple wires & fine details would be naturally very pleasing to the eye. Just my opinion. Bart.

Hi Carl. Since you're using a Caddy mill in a Merc, it's safe to say it's a custom? With the purple body color, & you mentioned gold, the logical choice would be to go with gold as yellow is purples complimentary on the color wheel. l think a yellow block with gold valve covers, air cleaner & other accents (or vice versa) with purple wires & fine details would be naturally very pleasing to the eye. Just my opinion. Bart.

Thanks Bart l am trying to decide between gold or yellow....

lf you have chrome valve covers, air cleaner, & othetr accessories, one of my old tricks is using a yellow Sharpie to"anodize" the chrome into gold. Looks oh so sharp sitting on a yellow engine! Purple plug wires, dist. cap, coil etc. would really set it off as well as tie it in to the body color!

Edited by Bartster