Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Chevelle SS Pro Mod WIP (Updated 3.26.14)

hOLMS

Thanks for looking and all the comments...really gives me motivation. I've begun smoothing over the front end somewhat. I think so far, the front-end treatment has really added to the overall feel of the final shape. I've only blended a curve from mid front wheel to top of headlights, but that seems to give the effect all the way to bottom of where the windshield will be, which is great. That's almost what I was looking for. So now it's time to move to the area under the headlights and I'm still thinking about that, probably will stay pretty close to what I have now....but extended out some. Have posted pix b4 and aft. Thanks for looking!!

I do have a question for anyone.....How do you edit the topic name? I have looked and looked, but don't see anything.

......ps, figured out a trick, I'll pass it along. You know how you are not supposed to use a gob of filler at once (will not dry)?? Well, I did use a gob (app. .093 thk). I used a needle and poked lots of holes in the deepest parts to allow air to get in. It worked out quite well, but there is a downside. I now have to putty again to fill the holes, albeit lightly though and was planning on doing that anyway to blend spoiler work. Thanks all....everyone's doin some outstanding art here.

DCP_3909.jpg

b4aft-nose1.jpg

This is really taking on a life of it's own and the results are outstanding!

To change the topic name, go into your first posting on page 1 and choose 'Edit'. Then choose 'Use Full Editor' and you can change the topic name. This only seems to work in the first posting that starts the thread.

Edited by crowe-t

All of your body mods are looking really, really great. The stretch job both in front of and behind the front wheel openings gives it an entirely new feel to it. It's coming along fantastic! Love it. Something too, I just noticed, your wheel change in the last pic really accentuates the body mods to me.

Edited by futurattraction

Thanks Michael for the comments and topic update....

Thanks Scott, you guys are making me feel great about this one. Glad you noticed the wheels, they do add to the feel and will be closer to what I use. Think I may machine me a set, I've started 3D modeling them but unable to finish.

Been able to do some mods, been a slow go though, front end (under the headlights) has posed some challenges. Actually, the air dam I have now is the third this Chevelle has had. For this one, I had to grind away everything I had below the bottom of the bumper line. At least I was able to save the bumper...lol. My goal was to keep the bumper and headlight area stock-appearing because this is one of the strongest defining areas for the 69 Chevelle body. I've re-filled the nose area and started smoothing. I've also started the front fender-well treatment, closed in the opening behind the wheel, added the beginnings of the new fender flares. I hope to make very good progress this week and will post some pixs when I have them. Thanks for looking!!

3953-3954-dbl.jpg

AirDamB4Aft.jpg

040311b4aft.jpg

ST24311B4AFT-2.jpg

All the mods really fit the body well. Keeping the bumper and headlight area stock is a good idea. It looks like a modern Pro Mod but still looks like a '69 Chevelle. Keep up the great work!

Edited by crowe-t

I could not stand it no more!....went ahead with 1st primer coat, albeit a little early, maybe. Body was so busy, needed some fresh life to see where this goes next. Things are still quite rough, most of this coat is "Good as Gone", but I think we are on the right track. For this week, I will (hopefully) get the headlight area massaged (sure does need it) and make the grill. I plan on finishing the front fenderwell flares, figuring out the blend needed down the sides and maybe move on to some hood treatment. Thanks for looking and commenting!!

DCP_3959.jpg

Prime2.jpg

B4AFTPrime.jpg

This is just really looking fantastic, Jeff. I was sort of shocked when I saw you chopping this up when you changed horsepower in the middle of the stream, but the transformation your body has undergone is nothing short of amazing. It really has the lines of a current pro mod car, but you're successfully carrying off the underlying '69 Chevelle theme/appearance. I'm super-impressed!

Edited by futurattraction

Hello All, Still on the front of the Chevelle and really looking forward to working a different part of the body, that will come. I've made some more mods to the front: 1)Added bumper ends 2)made the hood 3)lowered the headlights 4)made the start point for grill and 5)blended transition between top of body to top of headlights. I must say I am truly enjoying this body experiment and the changes it has gone thru. Much more to come as I hope to move to a different part of the car very soon. Thanks for the comments and looking!

b4aft-h-nose2.jpg

b4aft-h-nose1.jpg

b4afthood1.jpg

right1.jpg

b4aft4911.jpg

SG2PM3.jpg

Alright, I think I hate you now B). Man you have that front end looking so natural it almost still looks stock, thats a sign of great work there. Can you tell us/me how you did the headlight area? please. Are you going to get this cast? seems a shame not too, anyways keep up the stellar work, we'll be watching.

I have to agree 100% with Brett, hate you now ;), also would not mind knowing how you did the headlight area, have 2 pro-mods I'm getting ready to put together, going to work on both back & forth, getting all the engine work done for project#1, then I'll start doing the engine for project#2, #2 is going to need bodywork pretty much like your Chevelle (narrowing the front, rounding down the front fenders & such), so I am planning on using some of your techniques on it, so I will be watching you! B)

Thanks for the comments guys. Posting couple more pix.....I've made the hood scoop cutout, smoothed out the front end a little more, raised the stance .5mm (.020") all around and made it back to full primer to see whats next.

I think i'm getting close on the nose, and I say that loosely. I still want to make it closer yet to a real pro-mod nose, the main objective being not to lose the 69 SS character while being accurate to their current molding processes and the actual construction of these bodies (you know....the whole nose being solid fiberglass or carbon fiber, then picking out the detail with stickers). I really want a more narrow, longer, lower and bullit shape...not sure if that's a go yet though. I'm just rambling, I'll get back to work on this and see if I can make it better without screwing it up....lol. Thanks for looking.

DCP_4006.jpg

DCP_4011.jpg

DCP_4010.jpg

DCP_4007.jpg