Model Cars Magazine Forum

'74 El Camino - Finished ! 8-26-14

On 6/18/2014 at 10:18 PM, 1 bad55 stan said:

I just read this topic.Bob you have great skills and is shows with all this amazing fab work.Most excellent!

Thank you much Stan ! It's really more trial and error to get things right than skill .

Update : I did a little painting last night and tried something different on the floorboards , not sure yet if I like it .

I did some fitting and found the frame needed a little grinding to clear the headers .

I also added some small tabs for the brake lines .

Everything fits now !

And I sprayed the tires with white primer followed by TS - 6 Matte Black , after drying overnight I used a very fine file on the raised lettering . This takes a very light touch , luckily there are letters on both sides of the tires so I had two chances to get it right !

I did a little touch-up on one of the tires but it isn't noticeable .

Edited by TooOld

The past few days I've spent running the brake lines and fuel line .

Lots of tiny pieces to make . . . it's very tedious work and takes a lot of time , especially with my eyes !

I'm still collecting misc. pieces but I'm about ready to start on the engine and should have some photos next week .

Here's the chassis so far .

Edited by TooOld

That is some awesome work! I envy you guys that do these kind of conversions. I do good enough to maybe finish 2 or 3 "box stock" builds a year. This thing is going to be really neat when finished.

Thanks Mike !

This is my second build this year ( not counting the Car-Toon Bandit One ) and it's still a long ways from being finished . I might not get three done this year !