Model Cars Magazine Forum

A little clarification, please

1. Who locked the topic on "You have to speek the language?"

2. Why?

It was nothing rowdy, just a good conversation among members. The use and misuse of language on this forum is a repeated subject that we talk about frequently, and illumination helps make for better conversations and less responses from spelling and grammar Nazis like me.

An explanation of why this thread was locked is in order, for future reference.

Edited by sjordan2

Try PMing Harry and/or the O.P., Skip.

I looked at that topic again, and anytime someone tries to insert a political/educational system comment, the topic is headed in a bad direction. There are a few topics such as religion, politics, Wal*Mart, unions, (and soon rat rods :blink:) which never seem result in anything positive and only end in arguments...and eventually, a lock for the topic.

Why was this thread locked, then unlocked? :huh: It was locked just a few minutes ago.

I think it was just a small mistake based on the content of another thread being confused with this one, or part of the thread I was asking about that I didn't see (some discussion about the quality of education and no child left behind - didn't see that). But I don't know why that would have caused this particular thread to be shut down. And I'd still like to know who shut down the other thread in question - wasn't the moderators.

That said, I do have a problem with the times when threads are locked with no explanation. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. But nothing can be learned without knowing reasons.

Edited by sjordan2

Skip, it's not always a moderator. Remember, every member can lock their own topics.

Right. I've learned after posting this thread that the other thread wasn't shut down by moderators, and I mentioned that above. I f the OP did it, I'd still like to know why.

And I think that anyone who locks a topic should explain why.

Edited by sjordan2

Skip, did you lock and unlock your own thread? :lol:

I've done that before, actually, just to get a point out there without creating conversation that could get out of hand. For example, if given the information, I've offered to create a post-and-lock topic with contact information for the people who are selling John Teresi's Garlits images without his consent. I'd love to see our members descend with e-mail on the people who are ripping him off.

Edited by sjordan2

Right. I've learned after posting this thread that the other thread wasn't shut down by moderators, and I mentioned that above. I f the OP did it, I'd still like to know why.

Three PMs would've gotten a direct answer, so why ask every member of the forum when only three people have theability to lock it and and only those same three people have the ability to answer your question?

And I think that anyone who locks a topic should explain why.

Duly noted. Moving on.