Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Chrysler Hydro-Vee "Charger" Boat Kit and Other Boat Kits

Here is a Boat kit I built MANY Years ago.

I do not remember the brand. I don't have the instruction sheet or box anymore.

I remember that it had a piece of string/to represent rope, rubber tube for

the exhaust pipes.

I looks like ti falls between 1/25 & 1/32. There Is an engine under the cowl.

The figures from a Revell 59 Ford Almost perfeectly fit the seats. They are sitting there now

Boat-Ls.jpg

Boat-rs.jpg

Anyone recognize it??

It did have a Full Sliding Cabin, but I lost those parts.

I believe I got it in th elate 60's (68-9) to early 70's (70-72)

As we now know, the above is the Palmer/Lindberg '59 Century Coronado. I still haven't picked mine up yet.

Bringing this thread up again makes me sad. Until seeing this thread a few years back, I never knew MPC made a Chrysler speedboat model. Man, I wish there was away to see the Chrysler back on the market again. A very cool kit.

I didn't go back and reread the whole thread. But was scale for this kit ever mentioned? Somewhere recently I read that the Chrysler boat was done in 1/20 scale. Is this correct? It would not stop me from buying it if it came back. But, I do prefer 1/25 scale, of coarse.

Here is a Boat kit I built MANY Years ago.

I do not remember the brand. I don't have the instruction sheet or box anymore.

I remember that it had a piece of string/to represent rope, rubber tube for

the exhaust pipes.

I looks like ti falls between 1/25 & 1/32. There Is an engine under the cowl.

The figures from a Revell 59 Ford Almost perfeectly fit the seats. They are sitting there now

Boat-Ls.jpg

Boat-rs.jpg

Anyone recognize it??

It did have a Full Sliding Cabin, but I lost those parts.

I believe I got it in th elate 60's (68-9) to early 70's (70-72)

Looks like the Palmer/Lindberg 1959 Century Coronado. Which, incidently is back on the shelves now with a chrome windshield.

As in Tom West, or someone else with the same surname at AMT?

Not sure if this Vega Panel Wagon Truck on display at the '71 Chicago Auto Show is pulling a Westcraft boat or not. Looks like it has a front mounted engine unlike the rear engined Westcraft in the '64 ElCo kit:

1971ChevyTrucksWeb22.jpg

West Gallogly, Sr started AMT

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a fleamarket last weekend and a vender had a boat looked like a cabin cruiser, unbuilt still in its box, I cant remember who made it, but I haven't seen any of u post it, he told me he want $25 for it, do u think it would be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_5225.thumb.JPG.1acf6467aef409d311314

Thought I would join in here.  This is an AMT Raysom Craft boat with the 427 SOHC from the later Hullraiser version. It was restored form an old builtup and is panel painted in Testors Transparent green over a gold base.  The hardest part was getting a smooth seam on those ultra cool sponsons!

Cheers

Alan

IMG_5225.JPG

Edited by alan barton
Photobucket extortion

The first boat I ever got was a fairly thrashed hull of the Revell Hemi Hydro from my good mate Geoff Rea. A narrowed this about 3/8 inch and grafted on the hood, quarter panels, tailgate and rear roof from a squashed Revell 57 Nomad. The interior and dash came from an equally squashed AMT 57 Corvette. It was quite surprising how well the totally unrelated pieces fitted together. The trailer is a drastically reworked unit from the Hemi Hydro with cycle fenders from the AMT' 25 T.

Cheers

Alan

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5226.JPG

IMG_5209.JPG

IMG_5210.JPG

Edited by alan barton
Phixing Photostuffed

The trimmed Nomad roof lifts off to reveal a Revell 283 with six cars from the same kit. The tailgate was trimmed of one chrome trim from each side - that made it narrow enough to give a graceful sweep to the sides of the boat.

To wrap it up I used a 57 Chevy grille bar for taillights.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton
Forgot to add the photo!

IMG_5219_zpsnbadejt8.jpg

I'm really struggling with a glacially slow Photobucket tonight but I will keep posting until it finally seizes up - it's taken me over three hours to get these posted, time I should have spent working on a model!

This is one of my favourite boats.  It is the Revell Bass Boat with a Monogram Chevelle blown 454 and the seats and console from the Monogram Bad Actor Chevy Delivery- these were a perfect fit.  The bass boat has a great hull. I cut away the front compartment from the deck and replaced it with a vacformed "hood" that I formed over a carved wooden mould. The ehaders are solder and K&S aluminium tubing.  Glenn john created the laser cut metalflake flame decal for me. The trailer is scratchbuilt from Evergreen with the bass boat trailer fenders.

Cheers

Alan

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5216.JPG

Edited by alan barton
trying to sort out the mess with photos - seem to be making it worse!

This conversion is a natural if you are looking for a contemporary style ski boat.

I'll try and put some more boat photos up tomorrow but after spending four hours to post seven photos, I'm all done!

Cheers

Alan

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5216.JPG

Edited by alan barton
phototossers

Alan.....congrats on those terrific model boats!  

As you know, I've seen the Bel-Air based one, and raved about it before, but the other two are new to me.   Great job on both of those, and thanks for fighting with the slow image transfers to get these images to us.   

Hope all is well, mate.....Cheers!   TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Thanks Tim, thanks everyone!  I do love my boats and have about five more on the bench at the moment.  This one is the Model king re-issue of the Hullraiser.  It is almost box stock but I "de-tuned" it with the 427 wedge from the Raysom Craft - I wanted a ski boat them to this one. Colour is Duplicolour silver with Testors Candy Grape for the scallop and the trailer.

Edited by alan barton
not sure now - boats seem to be multiplying!

The only mod I made to this one was to fit custom taillights to the trailer.  One of the things I really appreciated about getting the Model King re-issue was that the options in it enabled me to rebuild my Raysom Craft with fresh parts.  It's a great kit if you can find it.  On both those kits, watch out for one flaw that I managed to miss on both models - there are two honking great ejector pins on each side of the inside of the hull.  It would be a good idea to remove these before you start assembling and filling the hull and deck.  I must have been asleep at the time!

Cheers

Alan

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5216.JPG

IMG_5222.JPG

IMG_5220.JPG

IMG_5221.JPG

Edited by alan barton
I dont know anymore

I'm guessing this must be the first boat kit ever - I'm sure Tim will correct me if I'm wrong.  This is the AMT 3 in 1 boat, close to box stock.  I used an Airfix 1/32 scale Ford Zodiac seat because I had one, it fitted and it looked good! I intend to have a matching Mooneyes 34 Ford panel delivery to tow it one day.

Cheers

Alan

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5216.JPG

IMG_5222.JPG

IMG_5220.JPG

IMG_5221.JPG

IMG_5213.JPG

Edited by alan barton

• 5 months later...

IMG_5224_zpscwwzwjqq.jpg

My last boat for now is the Westcraft Go Boat from the AMT 64 El Camino. I found this kit at a New Jersey Toy Fair that Tom Geiger took me to in 2013. The guy wanted $150 US which is closer to $200 Aus.  The guy wouldn't budge a cent so after carefully checking that the body wasn’t warped and that the glass, tyres, decals were all good, I had to suck it up and part with my money. That is easily the most I have ever paid for a model kit but it was a holy grail and with the encouragement of my wife I laid down my money.

When I got home I wanted to build the boat to go behind my 29 Woody first.  I started selecting the parts from the box when "Ohhhhhhh NO!"  Someone had carefully cut all the boat parts off the chrome sprue. Being right in the middle of the sprue I hadn't noticed their absence when I inspected it at the toy fair. You can’t begin to imagine my disappointment.

Anyhow, at least I had the instructions to show me what the missing parts looked like!  I cut an AMT Parts Pack Corvair flat six in half to give me a vertical three cylinder.  The headers are three short bits of solder capped with three ferrules from worn out paint brushes. The other missing bits were salvaged from my parts box. Turns out a strange hood scoop that I had for years was actually an engine cover for a Go Boat!  I now have another  hull and that cover to build a second Go Boat but once again I will have to scratchbuild everything else.

I'll never know if the vendor was a crook or if the guy that sold the kit to him was a crook but at least I now have a complete 64 El Camino and eventually, a complete Go Boat!

Yesterday I picked up my Lindberg 59 Coronado boat kit for just over $50 Aus.  It looks pretty cool – has anyone built one of these yet? It goes against the grain but I think I am going to build mine box stock!

Cheers

Alan