Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toledo 2012 NNL?

ok, found the info "elsewhere", but thought I would cut and re-paste it here.

Sat, 10/06/2012 - Sat, 10/06/2012

Categories

Show

Sylvania Exhibition Center

7060 Sylvania Ave.

Sylvania, OH 43560

United States

Times

1-7 pm

Admission Fees

$10.00

Description

NNL Nationals # 33, Theme 100 Years of Chevrolet

A special package deal will be available this to all who pay for NNL admission. On Saturday ONLY everyone who pays the $10 NNL admission will be able to visit the toy show for only $4. THIS OFFER IS TO VISIT THE TOY SHOW ONLY SATURDAY OCTOBER 6 FROM 1-4pm. The toy show will be open to the public for regular admission on Sunday October 7. There is a separate admission to the toy show Saturday & Sunday.

Additional Information

Vendor Mart - Shopping

Wheelchair Accessible

Children Welcome

Adjoining Parking

Contact Information

SASE to Glenn Marek, 512 Abbyshire Dr., Berea, OH 44017

E-mail:

Rick- papafo66@yahoo.com

Glenn- ospglenn@aol.com

John- jasmaddog@earthlink.net

Edited by tvandmoviecars

the nnl is saturday evening, 1pm to 7. the toy show is sunday. how many of you will go both days? looks like there will be floor rights for saturday, but how many vendors will be there? i thought the whole point of it going to a one day show was to minimize expenses for everybody, but this will require us vendors to still be there both days. most other nnl's are one day/one admission shows, just wondering how this will effect attendance

I haven't been there since 2007,but isn't the toy show show part both days? It use to be that load in was Saturday and then John opened it up for the public from 12PM -3 or 4 . Then everyone would go to the model display. Sunday was the toy show. I do remember the toy show only being opened for vendors on Saturday maybe around 2000-2001.

OK here is the scoop. John Carlisle decided after MUCH thought to move his toy show back to a one day show on Sunday. He will have vendor set up & floor rights on Saturday. After a lot of discussion we decided to move the NNL to Sunday also. We did not necessarily like to , but at the time it seemed the best option. After a couple months of hearing from many long time NNL supporters that Saturday would be a much better thing & after a whole LOT more discussion we moved the NNL back to Saturday from 1-7 pm. To make the whole thing a bit easier for everyone John C came up with the idea of some kind of joint admission. So here is what is going to happen this year & if it works into the future. Every PAID $10 admission to the NNL will receive a coupon good for a $4 admission to the toy show Saturday only from 1-4 pm. On Sunday the regular admission applies. No one knows how this will work out, all of us from the Cleveland Automotive Modelers & John Carlisle hope it is successful.

I was at Toledo last year for the NNL & Swap Meet and was surprised to see the lack of vendors. Due to modern technology vendors can sell their stuff on EVIL-bay and avoid the expense of fuel, motels, food, and tables. Back in 2000 & 2001 at the swap meet I thought that it was "Christmas" as their were kits, parts, decals, etc. everywhere. It was awesome.

I was at Toledo last year for the NNL & Swap Meet and was surprised to see the lack of vendors.

It is the Ohio Department of Revenue that is killing the swap meet. They are pretty draconian. I won't set up there ever again. Illinois doesn't really go after swap meets and the shows in Illinois are full of vendors! Ebay does have an effect but they are still lots of people who like going to the shows.

It is the Ohio Department of Revenue that is killing the swap meet. They are pretty draconian. I won't set up there ever again. Illinois doesn't really go after swap meets and the shows in Illinois are full of vendors! Ebay does have an effect but they are still lots of people who like going to the shows.

X2 on that Andy! Been there and what an example of big government stupidity.

IIRC, NNL East 2002 the New Jersey 'Tax Police' physically came into the vending area and went table to table checking licenses and fined those without proper registration. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by PatRedmond

I was at Toledo last year for the NNL & Swap Meet and was surprised to see the lack of vendors. Due to modern technology vendors can sell their stuff on EVIL-bay and avoid the expense of fuel, motels, food, and tables. Back in 2000 & 2001 at the swap meet I thought that it was "Christmas" as their were kits, parts, decals, etc. everywhere. It was awesome.

Yeah, I went several times to the Toledo show between 1990 and 1996...the selection of aftermarket parts, kit parts, old kits, old diecast etc in the vendor area was incredible....

I think there are many resons for the downsizing of the toy show. The tax nazis & ebay are only two. I believe the aging of the people who are interested in this sort of thing, & little new blood coming into the hobby. I was 21 or 22 when I first went to the Toledo show I'm now 55. Another thing is I am buying very little new stuff, at my age I've come to realize that I'll NEVER build what I have now. In the last couple years I have reduced my stash by a couple hundred kits. I know that is a gloomy veiw of it all but I don't see anything changing to improve the outlook.

I think I last went in '02 or '03. ModelCarList was making a good showing in those days (Mike, still have your MCL tshirts? :D).

I've been getting the itch for a good show lately, so I'm a little concerned to hear things may not be how I remember them. Things do change, though, don't they.

John, I would imagine the NNL is still healthy. Is that the case? Could you give any idea of what to expect on the vendors side for Saturday?

Yes the NNL is still doing well, last year we had about 230 people & if memory serves 600 -700 models. As far as vendors who knows, John Carlisle runs the toy show part. The NNL rents our space from him. I thought that last year there was a good number of vendors, aftermarket & new & old kits. Not anything like the glory days of the '90s though, but in my mind worth the trip.