Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Weirdest thing was the belt made no noise until the idler had melted this much, and wiped the belt out with it. <_< Totally clueless as to what had happened until my ammeter dropped to zero and the steering got tight...

A few years back I took my Geo Tracker in for exhaust. It needed a front pipe so the tech needed to loosen up my alternator to get down onto the manifold. A couple of days later I noticed my power steering was kinda fading in and out, so I thought the belt might need tightening. That's when I found the alternator was just sitting there suspended by it's pully. It wasn't tightened to the engine at all! Don't know how it drove that way for a few days!

Gotta love the day shift vs. night shift wars. Night shift has to do EVERYBODY'S work and then gets jammed up when everything isn't perfect for day turn. Changing jobs isn't going to help unless it's to someplace that closes at 5pm. Because this battle royale is universal.

The last place I worked that had a real split shift system, the day shift drivers felt they were special because they saw the sunlight. Forever late to jobs, late FROM jobs making night shift scramble for equipment, when they did show up trucks were out of fuel, low on fluids, had flats/mechanical issues, out of DEF, full of trash, etc. If we did shift change on site they'd howl like babies if night shift wasn't there precisely at 6pm, but they'd show up to relieve us at 8am-ish cause they'd stop and eat breakfast ON THE CLOCK.

It led to the point of near fist fights before corporate fired the local management and pulled the day shift aside sand pointed out the reason they were on days wasn't because they were special, but because they were all newly minted CDL holders and they managed to run over/onto/into enough things when they could see where they were going...they were terrified to let them operate in the dark.

My idiot neighbor, wanting me to weld a "cadillac" converter to the rusty stub of broken exhaust pipe under his latest POS, and telling me about how the car runs better with a cat because it has MORE back-pressure. All the while he's also telling me that Mercedes has offered him a fantastic-paying job as a tech, as soon as he gets all his ASE certs. Uh huh.Then he tells me he's doing plumbing on rehab houses, but can't figure out how to hook up the gas line to his stove. In the course of the conversation, I said something about NPT fittings (you know, national pipe thread ??), and he looked at me like I was speaking in tongues.

I really try to be nice and help him when I can (like the time he was working on a buddy's Toyota and got it stuck in 2 gears because he put all the linkage together wrong) but he's 21, inherited the house, has zero skills and knows nothing about ANYTHING, makes up tall stories constantly, and already has 2 kids, one more on the way, and feeds them with food stamps. What am I missing here?

My idiot neighbor, wanting me to weld a "cadillac" converter to the rusty stub of broken exhaust pipe under his latest POS, and telling me about how the car runs better with a cat because it has MORE back-pressure. All the while he's also telling me that Mercedes has offered him a fantastic-paying job as a tech, as soon as he gets all his ASE certs. Uh huh.Then he tells me he's doing plumbing on rehab houses, but can't figure out how to hook up the gas line to his stove. In the course of the conversation, I said something about NPT fittings (you know, national pipe thread ??), and he looked at me like I was speaking in tongues.

I really try to be nice and help him when I can (like the time he was working on a buddy's Toyota and got it stuck in 2 gears because he put all the linkage together wrong) but he's 21, inherited the house, has zero skills and knows nothing about ANYTHING, makes up tall stories constantly, and already has 2 kids, one more on the way, and feeds them with food stamps. What am I missing here?

Bill, it just may be his age. A lot of guys 18 to 25 or so think they know everything and or like to join a conversation even if they know nothing about the topic. I was one of those guys in my younger days. My dad ( god rest his soul ) used to tell me " When you get older you will wonder how your old man got so smart so fast ". He was right. Hopefully now I am as smart as I thought I was back then but probably not. : )

• Like 1

I'm irked that my new TV provider bundles Spike with premium channels. :angry:

And that's why I'm on Dish. The only channel I don't get in AT200, that I really want, is DIY. Although most of the shows are stupid, you can learn some pretty cool things on there. But we get a free preview of it like every couple months so, it's like a part time subscription. :lol:

I work for a company that does cable support (no not Dish) and what irked me today was policy. We HAVE to troubleshoot with customers before sending a tech or replacing equipment. A very elderly woman broke her antique dishes trying to reset a modem after I told her she needed to. That's just wrong.

Edited by Skydime

Had a storm come through Collins yesterday, and went down to check out the damage. I could tell right away that it was microburst damage, and not tornadic. Tried explaining that to some people in Collins I know that it was NOT a tornado, and all they could do was say was "It was a tornado!!!" Talked to a Missouri Highway Patrol officer, who agreed with me that it was a microburst, still those same people say "Tornado, tornado, tornado." Got a callback from the National Weather Service, telling me there were no signs of tornadic vorticies at all during the time the damage was done, still those people screamed "Tornado, tornado, tornado...

Had a storm come through Collins yesterday, and went down to check out the damage. I could tell right away that it was microburst damage, and not tornadic. Tried explaining that to some people in Collins I know that it was NOT a tornado, and all they could do was say was "It was a tornado!!!" Talked to a Missouri Highway Patrol officer, who agreed with me that it was a microburst, still those same people say "Tornado, tornado, tornado." Got a callback from the National Weather Service, telling me there were no signs of tornadic vorticies at all during the time the damage was done, still those people screamed "Tornado, tornado, tornado...

That happened here in West Chicago back in '07. A storm blew in and just as Dad looked out the window before shutting dow the computer incase a storm hit, then suddenly all of the braches on the trees in the back yard bent down from a sudden downburst of wnd and the power and land line went out, followed by rainy calm....... Mom, Dad and I spent the next couple days cleaning up the yard and waiting for the phone and power to get turned back on (neighbor's tree had repeated been a problem until last November when ComEd came out and moved the line). My sister had moved outfor a while and wad ok,but suddenly got a panicked call from a cousin of ours (and who's Mom is our Mom's older sister) called her because they had been trying to call us to make sure we were ok but couldn't get through and didn't have Dad's or my cell numbers either. They can get WGN News in Iowa apparently the Police Chief got had a press conference where he said the town got hit by a tornado. Needless to say, Mom's family back in Iowa was a bit worried until they tried to call........and since our phone was out and they couldn't get ahold of us, that turned to panic!!!

Oh, almost forgot, I was looking to do a little putty work on a Monogram 1/24 '56 Chevy I've been tinkering with and went to grab a tube of Squadron White Putty........and it was solid, so I found a nearly used up tube, also solid, dug up some Testors Putty............guess what, it too was even more solid than the Squadron tubes! Luckily I still have one much fresher tube left, although that took some digging to find.........not to mention I forgot I had it :P

Many years ago I was working in Princeton, NJ and one day on my way to work, the hour trip was non-eventful until I got within a few blocks of work. It was stop and go, and I could see trees down. It turns out that there was a mini tornado (or other disturbance) that hit a very select area, maybe a few square blocks. At work, all the willows around the lake were toast, uprooted and laying on the ground. A steel door that was open on one of the building mechanical penthouses blew off and was found a few blocks away.

By trade, I am a municipal tax assessor. Listing all of the things that "irk" me in the course of a day, starting with greedy lawyers, stupid politicians (and greedy lawyers who become stupid politicians), ignorant property owners, etc. would hijack the thread. Head to head, there is not one human being reading this that can top me, and I know it. If you think you can, show me what you've got. I build model cars because it gives me an escape from the 1:1 world. Go figure.

By trade, I am a municipal tax assessor. Listing all of the things that "irk" me in the course of a day, starting with greedy lawyers, stupid politicians (and greedy lawyers who become stupid politicians), ignorant property owners, etc. would hijack the thread. Head to head, there is not one human being reading this that can top me, and I know it. If you think you can, show me what you've got. I build model cars because it gives me an escape from the 1:1 world. Go figure.

I've been a cop for nearly 34 years, trust me I feel your pain.

G

Dealers playing games in car ads! I just read through the Auto Shopper / Philadelphia edition while I was eating dinner and it just drives me nuts. Dealers who don't list the mileage in ads, dealers who don't list the price in ads, dealers who just show a monthly payment (on the ad with no price and no mileage), and dealers who list a really low price for a car with a very small print (nearly unreadable and purposely smudged) at the bottom that says "with a $5000 down payment or trade in". All those ads are just devised to rip people off, those who aren't as well read or informed as many of us. Dishonest dealers just tick me off!