Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona 'Early Version'

The Creative Explorer

Hey Folks,

I still have the Pontiac GTO on the shelf together with the 1/12th Ferrari from the contest, for the Ferrari I just have no motivation, so I let it go for now. Packed it up and it disappeared for now in my storage. The GTO will be finished soon, but I am rather stuck at the decal-design.

So I was planning on another US-car, but I needed my dose of Fujimi Enthusiast. I decided to go for the 365 GTB/4 in a early version ( not the plexi-glas one ). The car will be build mostly OOB, with a few PE and detail additions.

The choice I wanted to make was basically between the Dino and the 365, and since my Girl liked the sexy design of the 365, I decided to go for the 365. ( it is also one of my most-favourite Ferrari's ).

Unfortunatelly, a lot of time is something I don't have anymore and so I can not spend a whole lot of time to my projects and surfing on the net is one of the least things I can do. So I need to apologize up front for the small and slow updates.

The first pictures;

I have been working so far on the engine and the body. The body needs some cleaning up before being able to give it's paintjob. I probably don't have to mention that the car will be painted red.

I was able to paint the engine in aluminium today and I am dealing with the colourchoice of the top. Black is the correct colour, but red is very appealing. What to do :roll:

365gtb001.jpg

365gtb002.jpg

365gtb003.jpg

365gtb004.jpg

365gtb006.jpg

365gtb007.jpg

365gtb008.jpg

365gtb009.jpg

365gtb010.jpg

365gtb011.jpg

Erik, this is one of my favorite Ferrari's too!!

It's also significant as it was the last front engine Ferrari that they would make for a loooong time!

I built the Fujimi Enthusiast Daytona Spider many years ago, and one word of caution if you plan to use the wire wheels. You may have to shave down the hubs quite a bit as the wheels and tires will stick way out otherwise.

The other set of wheels I don't think had a problem with this as they were a deeper offset inside IIRC. :P

Other than that, the kit was pretty easy to build even considering the level I was at when I built mine some nearly 20 years ago.

Keep us posted if you can.............these can build up into knockout models! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Everybody thanks for their comments, very much appreciated!

Yes, these Fujimi's are 'da bomb'! I have basically every kit from that serie, including the 1/16 Enthusiasts. So you can say I am in complete awe of the Enthusiast-series. There are simply no other kits this detailed!

Obsessive; Thanks! I keep that in mind as I am planning to use the Borrani's, the only choice if you ask me :P

Unfortunatelly I have some more time to work on the car now ;-( my boss didn't think he needed my services anymore and as of last friday I am unemployeed.

Well;

Picture time!

365gtb012.jpg

365gtb013.jpg

365gtb014.jpg

365gtb015.jpg

365gtb016.jpg

365gtb017.jpg

365gtb018.jpg

365gtb019.jpg

365gtb020.jpg

365gtb022.jpg

Lookin' good so far Erik! ;)

Seeing all that putty on the hood reminded me of the one bugaboo I had when I had mine all painted up-------a lot of the underhood detail shows up on the topside unfortunately.

I thought they may have cleaned up the molds a bit by now, but apparently not! :lol:

Engine details are lookin' great...............the plug wires are perfect!

Sorry to hear about your job situation...........:lol: We were just told on my job Friday that mandatory furloughs are pretty much expected through the end of the year, with complete shutdowns during the week of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The furloughs involve taking at least 1 week off a month through year's end............I expected it as things are slowing down all over, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it! :rolleyes:

Looks good, I final picked up one myself.

I am still trying to figure out the tool kit B)

Got a coupe and a GTO coming from HLJ, too. Getting all bailed up on Ferraris.

I agree on the Borrani's, although I been spoiled with the Revell/Protar wheels (the best plastic wire wheels I ever seen) - the Fujimi ones are just not as nice, so I will probably have to get some AM ones.

That sucks, I feel for you, as I know what you are going through, I just got back to work after 11 months of unemployment and took a big pay cut and at a job with no real furture.

The good news is hopefully I will be going to work for a Ferrari broker/resto around the end of the year if the economy hasn't killed his business, then life will be golden again. I have met with him several times, but isn't ready to pull the trigger yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Guys! The job situation is not improved, even worse; I am down to the last reserves and it could take up to two-three more weeks before my unemployement-insurance will kick in. And I expect quite some bills ;)

But what else can you do? I am trying hard to find me a job and get going once again. I want/need money to visit my sweetheart in Portland in March/April. So I do have some kind of motivation ;)

Bill; it isn't really the molds, there is just a lot of detail and since the plastic is thin, after cooling down the molds there is just a little too less plastic. So, seen the details, I will forgive them :lol:

Cal; I basically have every kind of Fujimi Enthusiast kit, I basically refuse to get the newer ones, I am in love with those old boxes and very nice boxart. :P

A little update;

At the beginning of last week, I started to sand down the paintjob once again. Just because of the greasyness problem. This time, everything had to be right, as my 16oz rattle can was down to its last fumes. Fortunately I had just enough to cover to thin layers and cover the body equally.

Yesterday I started to polish the body until grid 12000 and will clear coat it somewhere this week. I believe that when you polish the color-coat too, the shine of the model will be deeper.

I just hope that I don't get a reaction like I did with the GTO :P

More pictures of the interior will follow soon, as it is in its final stadium.

365gtb051.jpg

365gtb052.jpg

365gtb053.jpg

365gtb054.jpg

365gtb055.jpg

365gtb056.jpg

A little update, last friday I was able to clear the body, but unfortunately the paint did craze a little. But so far, I think I can polish it smooth. I need to wait until the clear is hard enough for polishing, so I will keep you updated on that one.

The interior and Engine bay are virtually done, I need to look into it and see what I am missing, but it looks to be ok. I've used some new techniques which worked out for a first time and will evolve that in my future projects.

here are some pictures;

365gtb057.jpg

365gtb058.jpg

365gtb059.jpg

365gtb060.jpg

365gtb061.jpg

365gtb062.jpg

365gtb063.jpg

365gtb064.jpg

365gtb065.jpg

365gtb066.jpg

Thanks guys, I feel priviliged to be on this board, by reading through a lot of topics and the vast amount of talent over here, I learn more and more and being able to use techniques in my own projects. Without you guys, I couldn't have done this. So thanks!

Raul; I really hope so, I will try to polish the car today, so basically I should be able to tell whether it worked out or not. I think I can be able to make it work, but I am still an amateur, so don't get the hopes to high!

Nick; This car is more my own project; if you see a project of mine is 'C-specced', than my girl has the hand in the project and I am letting her decide some major decissions and I will be 'submissive'.....hahaha

And meeting....I would hope so, but I live across the ocean and she lives on the west-coast, so it might be a little hard?

If you do use MSN, how about we meet on msn-messenger :lol: