Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's my first attempt at painting True Fire

Brian Nehring

I finally opened up the new Nova I bought a couple of months ago. I thought it would be a perfect subject to practice some true fire on. The black base is House of Kolor and the flame colors are from the Sherwin Williams Planet Color line. This is my first attempt at painting a model in this style of flames. I stil have some tweaking to do on my technique but just like I taught myself to paint traditional hot rod style flames, it just takes practice. I still have to clear it, will probably do that later on tonight.

Brian

truefirenova01.jpg

truefirenova02.jpg

truefirenova03.jpg

truefirenova04.jpg

truefirenova05.jpg

Edited by Brian Nehring

WOW!!!! I love it, Question, did you shoot those flames on top of that orange peeled paint? Not critizicing here, only that it will be easier to wetsand and polish your clearcoat at the end without any orange peel on your basecoat, that is if you are clearcoating this thing. Other than that, I think the flames look magnificent, I will have to try them one day. How did you go about doing them??? :P Great idea too!!!

Looks great!

practice will only improve.

I've tried this myself, but my problem is that I'm so steeped in traditional flame 'licks', I can't keep them out of my attempts. This Tru Fire technique has to be planned randomness. Mike Lavalle, pioneer of this style, has it down pat.

BTW, those are great wheels on right side of that Nova!

Edited by Geezerman

Just wanted to say thanks to you all, after I got done shooting the flames I'd looked at it for so long I couldn't tell if they were convincing enough. They are still not quite the way I want them so you can bet I'll be shooting another model real soon and with more flames covering the body. Thanks again for all the compliments, I really appreciate it.

Brian Nehring

They look REALLLYYY good.

(espitially since it's your first try!!!!!) wow!

Just like in 1:1, work from dark to light. You can also add depth with a layer of purple or blue pearl on the early layers, and then some silver or gold over the yellows and whites later on... if you like. As with all flames, it's a personal taste thing...

They look great.

Dave-

B) Brian, I know I may be askin ALOT from you, But do you think you could show us HOW you did it? Theres a coulpa guys who can paint those kinda flames, but I sure cant, and I LOVE flames! Maybe, you could even write an article for the Mag on how it's done. I for one would really like to know how it's done, caz I haven't the slightest idea on where to start. And I've NEVER seen an article on how it's done, or at least I don't remember seein one.( but then again, I ain't as sharp as I usedta be) :P