Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Camaro -- non split bumper

tjones87

First off, this will be a long WIP, as I am still scrounging up parts and figuring out what I need to do. So bare with me lol

I have been gathering parts for this build and have started doing some body modifications needed. I will be replicating my 1:1 71 Camaro. Every other Camaro this body style you see have the split bumper (only issue without them is the original 70 SS 396, which are outrageously priced if/when you find them) and I am tired of seeing them, even on 1:1 Camaros lol...

I have started the front end conversion and it has turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself lol. Not the best body work, but am working with what I have at the moment. I removed and filled the original park lamps in and will be moving them down to the lower valance.. I also had to shorten the nose around the grille by 2mm. It still needs some final shaping but gets the concept across.

DSCN4437.jpg

DSCN4438.jpg

Had to fill in the spot for the kits license plate, as it will now be the location of the turn signal. I also had to scratch up an auto brake pedal -- to go with the turbo 400 transmission going in. You can see the roughed in body work on the front end below.

DSCN4746_zpsdd6f21e0.jpg

Will update as it happens...thansk for checking out...and always all comments, opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Got some more putty applied and sanded down. Also, got some primer down to see how good my body work was. Seems to be pretty good, needs a little more sanding around the nose, but should be ready fro final primer this weekend.

DSCN4752_zps149e54db.jpg

DSCN4753_zps08afc571.jpg

DSCN4749_zps9af2e451.jpg

DSCN4755_zps05571b0e.jpg

DSCN4754_zpsa78790e2.jpg

also got the subframe assembled and painted..need to go get some satin black for the rest...will have more pics up asap...This kit is pretty smooth in assembly so far...but this orange plastic is a pain to cover....

Edited by tjones87

yep...wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be....I haven't really done anything major custom in 1/25 scale, more of a 1:1 person. One good thing about having auto-body experience and schooling....cant wait to get this one in color...I got the wheels ordered this morning for the build, and also got some more engine parts from Sean ordered.

The only thing that is going to halt progress will be the front bumper/grille assembly :( but I will figure something out

I have been trying to make my own front bumper..but haven't been able to pull it off yet....I found one online, but going to pay the same amount as I paid for this kit lol...but may end up having to go that way. Well, haven't been to bed yet..so I am off for a few well needed Z's

:D Hi I am doing the same thing I like the fully bumber.I got an older amt kit and did what you did your right it was much easer then I thought it would be I got the full bumper and grill and turn singles from modelhouse they are a AMT repop and Don has them as all one pice of every thing apart I took the one pice so all that you have to glue is the back of the grill good luck.

:D Hi I am doing the same thing I like the fully bumber.I got an older amt kit and did what you did your right it was much easer then I thought it would be I got the full bumper and grill and turn singles from modelhouse they are a AMT repop and Don has them as all one pice of every thing apart I took the one pice so all that you have to glue is the back of the grill good luck.

Yeah I was planning on getting the bumper from modelhaus, but having problems with their payment options...and really don't want to have to wait as long as they said it would be lol...I have a bumper I have been shaping over the last few weeks...it is nowhere near perfect, but i think I may just use it, like I said before, its not a contest/show car..so i am not too worried about 100% correctness.

Interesting build. Why not post pics of your 1:1 too?

I will get some pics up of my 1:1...it is in about the same condition this model is so far lol....haven't had the money to do what needs to be done on it (sheet-metal replacement) plus all i have to work in is a 2 car carport..and gets a little cold with the wind lol.

cant wait to see your choice of wheels bro...

They will be an old school wheel, as I am going for the 70s hot rod look....I just bought the exact wheels for my 1:1 car...so worked out perfectly lol...will get some pics of them when I get them in..as well as the engine once its all mocked up

Here is a link to all the pics I have taken so far of my Camaro...WARNING -- Graphic, unbuilt, stripped down and rusty scenes inside....lol

http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/buysaletrade87/1971%20Camaro/

I have thought about getting another kit and making it look like the car does now...then I would have a before and after model :P

The only place i've seen that makes the conversion to the standard nose for use on AMT's new 70 Camaro is Reliable Resin, Scale Auto Enthusiast October 2009 did a article,but with RR track record you may be better off with doing it yourself.

The only place i've seen that makes the conversion to the standard nose for use on AMT's new 70 Camaro is Reliable Resin, Scale Auto Enthusiast October 2009 did a article,but with RR track record you may be better off with doing it yourself.

Yeah I have emailed RR 3 times and only got one response saying "Yes we have the conversion and other pieces" and basically that was all...So I have decided not to worry about them lol....I think I can pull this off, even if its slightly off, it will still get the point across...I was looking at buying the original SS 396 issue and building it, but cant justify spending $65+ on a partial built or built kit. I would have to say the original 70 issue is my holy grail of kits....if I ever got an unbuilt one, it would probably go in my safe deposit box lol

yep thats exactly how I feel....the ones for the model are made ofter the old fenton slots...but the actual ones for my 1:1 arr true E.T.s 14x6.5 fronts & 15x8.5 rears...going to have the perfect stance...now just to find tires to match the actual ones lol

Tim your camaro has had a very hard life .Why do people let great cars get to that stage its a crime!!! .You have your work cut out for you on that one best of luck getting her back on the road .As for your model its looking good shame about the bumper snapping !

I built the 70 1/2 camaro years ago its now in the spares box .Im not sure if you can use any parts from it I will dig it out and have a look for you but I think it was a split bumper on that year ?

The Camaro isn't in as bad as the pics make it out to be. Typical rust, like all these cars have. It will be just over $350 in sheetmetal. I can do all the cutting, welding, body work and painting so no worries there. I am also going to be building the engine, but not until all body work is done lol. It will take some time, but shouldn't be too hard to do, I have seen alot worse cars.

As far as the model goes, its going slow lol. The 70 1/2 camaro kits are all split bumpers. I am sure I could use the one you have for something....I have actually thought about getting another kit and making a version of my car in its current state....might could use yours for that.