Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project: "Inferno" 49 Merc - *Update p17* 3/13/15

JasonFL

I actually cut the piece out that you replaced, omitted the coils (mine's just a shelf model), and clamped it together with clothes pins while the glue dried. The lake pipes barely clear a piece of paper in the front. Now I have true Ford negative camber. :P

In the back, I carefully prenotched a slight bit out of the frame and then used a similar pinch and glue method to simulate dearched leaf springs. Fair warning, these frames aren't much so, if you aren't 100 percent comfortable, don't even try it on the frame you are gonna use. A spare would be handy for practice.

If I as going to show mine off, I would have found a way to add some airbags under it. Axle to frame would be one heck of a bad ride in real life. :blink:

Haha...hey man, that's one way to do it. Nothing like all that negative camber while being laid out. I actually have already made my notches and cut out one side of the frame, no turning back now...haha.

How bout making a flip down rear plate mounted under the rear of the car? You don't have to make it functional just put it under the back of the car. If you display the car on a mirror it will be a cool little detail people will notice & say "Wow, check that out" or something along those lines LOL

Yea I thought at it but the whole car is going to be slammed, even if it didn't flip down you'd never see it. Might just say screw the plate and make it a clean build. Thanks for the suggestion Joe.

Good to see you making such excellent progress. I'd love to see the body on those wheels, see how low it is now riding.

Thanks Doc. I'm actually moving right along with this one. The camera was acting up last night but I'm going to try and get some shots for ya tomorrow. I still can't seem to get this thing as low as it should be.

I worked on the rear notches and started getting them in place.

First I did a template. I was going to cut it out with built in gussets on top to help hold it to the frame. Plans changed a little and I gave it a clean look making the front rail of the notch a little thicker then the back to match how the frame goes from thick to thin.

Thanks to a good friend on here for donating some plastic sheets, I was able to scratch build the notches.

DSCN6267.jpg

I had to cut out 2 notches and glue them together in order to get the right thickness

DSCN6271.jpg

DSCN6276.jpg

DSCN6277.jpg

This is just about how high the notch will be when connected to the frame. The rear end will sit right where the frame is now.

DSCN6274.jpg

DSCN6273.jpg

I cut the leaf springs off the rear and glued them to the frame so when I cut the frame for the notch it keeps the back of the frame in place and aligned. This way it helps me keep where the center is for the rear end.

DSCN6251.jpg

This is were I'm at now. I marked off the frame and cut it out. Now just have to glue it in place.

DSCN6275.jpg

DSCN6279.jpg

ooohhh, Jason! Looking good! Nice work on the spindles!

Thanks Bart. Makes a little more sense now that you see what I was trying to explain to you...haha.

You corrected the camber problem exactly the way it should have been done ! Simple and effective . Good job !

Thanks Bob. That's exactly what I was going for.

Good to see you making such excellent progress. I'd love to see the body on those wheels, see how low it is now riding.

After taking these last photos I couldn't get the camera to shoot right so I took some quick ones with my wife's phone. I'm hoping to get it a tad bit lower, I may even body drop it to sit the body on the ground. We'll see.

3cf60972aac970c3fe49092d03d410cb.jpg

bb35665c88e0eeb4bba22bf5175768aa.jpg

Did some work on the front suspension. I heated the lower control arms with some hot water and carefully bent them up. Had to remove some of the backing plate on the spindle to really get it up there.

DSCN6228.jpg

DSCN6234.jpg

I ended up having to remove more so I just removed the whole thing

DSCN6231.jpg

DSCN6240.jpg

But as you can see with the lower control arms being so high I'm getting a lot of camber. Doesn't show much with the wheel, that was just kinda sitting on there.

DSCN6241.jpg

here u say u heated the lower arms with hot water... did u put the arms in the water or did u hold them over the water while it was boiling ??? i am trying to do this with my 49 merc but i dont want to mess it up lol.

thanks stu :)

here u say u heated the lower arms with hot water... did u put the arms in the water or did u hold them over the water while it was boiling ??? i am trying to do this with my 49 merc but i dont want to mess it up lol.

thanks stu :)

Hey stu, I've seen your merc, that paint work looks like glass. I just turned the hot water on, waited till it was at its hottest then held the end I was going to bend under the water for a few mins. Then I bent it CAREFULLY making sure to have a firm grip on the middle. Just take your time, keep it warm, and don't forget to keep checking it so you don't bend it to far. Good luck.

Hey stu, I've seen your merc, that paint work looks like glass. I just turned the hot water on, waited till it was at its hottest then held the end I was going to bend under the water for a few mins. Then I bent it CAREFULLY making sure to have a firm grip on the middle. Just take your time, keep it warm, and don't forget to keep checking it so you don't bend it to far. Good luck.

Thanks buddy will defo give it a go later on... thanks for the comment to :)

Wow, so much talented work on this forum it's unbelievable. Loving this one so far Jason.

For a number plate, I'd go with something like this.

Flipped up-hidden

raw-20.jpg

Flipped down- ready to cruise :D

raw-53.jpg

That way it won't break up your Merc's smooth lines at all. Look forward to seeing more on this.

do the body drop so it can lay flat out on sidepipes

The body drop would lay the body on the ground. It would already lay side pipes if I was gonna run them. Can't do it anyways because of some clearence issues.

nice Merc Jason!

Thanks Bill.

Wow, so much talented work on this forum it's unbelievable. Loving this one so far Jason.

For a number plate, I'd go with something like this.

Flipped up-hidden

raw-20.jpg

Flipped down- ready to cruise :D

raw-53.jpg

Thanks Zac for the photos. Still not sure yet what I'll do yet. Like to see a photo of that car tho, looks clean as hell.

That way it won't break up your Merc's smooth lines at all. Look forward to seeing more on this.

Thanks Zac. Nice photos, would love to see the whole thing. As for the plate, I'm still undecided.

Edited by JasonFL