Model Cars Magazine Forum

Handy containers

ffreak

These little containers come with your side items from KFC and are just right to store small parts and supplies in. They are stackable and the lids seal tight. They could also be used for soaking your decals in. I'm sure you guys can find other uses for them also. :rolleyes: Oh yeah, did I mention they're free !!!! lol...... 0012-vi.jpg0022-vi.jpg0032-vi.jpg

I saw a KFC commercial and it showed Perdue Chicken being delivered to the colonel. How do you get the containers for free?

The baby food containers are terrific, but who has babies? I scored a few last year from a neighbor but the baby grew up. I'm not going to go out and buy baby food just for the containers. A friend showed me very similar, but slightly smaller containers that he purchased from Dollar General, Sav-A-Lot, or some other cheap place.

I saw a KFC commercial and it showed Perdue Chicken being delivered to the colonel. How do you get the containers for free?

The baby food containers are terrific, but who has babies? I scored a few last year from a neighbor but the baby grew up. I'm not going to go out and buy baby food just for the containers. A friend showed me very similar, but slightly smaller containers that he purchased from Dollar General, Sav-A-Lot, or some other cheap place.

They are what your potatoes and slaw and gravy come in. just wash them up and they're good as new. Sure beat those little styrofoam cups it used to come in !!!

• 1 year later...

Just as Rick mentioned previously, the modern version of baby food "jars" are now resealable plastic containers. See attached photo.

I was blessed with a new grandson 21 months ago, and when I eventually saw this new baby food container, I asked my daughter to start saving them for me.

So, if you have a baby amongst your family or friends, take advantage of these "free" containers.

One last tip - for those of you who collect Matchbox or Hot Wheels, these containers are handy for storing them as well...

post-10758-0-03627400-1367082268_thumb.j

DSC00096-vi.jpg

Here's another tip. My wife is a Swiffer fiend. She's always mopping around the house with these buggers. Note the perfect blue box with a clear lid that they come in! The box in the photo perfectly holds a model project. There is also a more shallow box that is perfect for parts. The best part is that you can look in the clear lid and see the contents.

DSC00092-vi.jpg

Here's one holding my '61 Ranchero resto project. (model is long done!)

IMG_3013-vi.jpg

and here's the two different size boxes being used for parts...

IMG_2639-vi.jpg

And here's my work bench with the unfinished projects all neatly in these boxes on the shelves.

Check out the nearest dollar store. They have all kinds of resealable containers and bins for dirt-cheap prices. And you don't have to first buy KFC to get them! :lol:

IMG_3012-vi.jpg

True! I got these at my local Giant supermarket. They were $3.99 and I made a mental note to get some. The next time they were on sale for $2.99 with your Giant card so I backed the cart up to the shelf and bought all they had. These are 16 quart, 6-3/4"x 12" x 7" (larger than 4 kit boxes) and stack nicely. I use them as my junk yard boxes for different kits and large hoards like tires. The boxes in the photo are marked "Dodge Vans", "1920-34 Ford" and the last box is "1950 Ford pickups". I dumped 5 unsealed kits into that one. Cheap and organized.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Nice tip, I like the shallow Sweeper boxes as well, thanks for that tip also. I currently use the baby food ones saved by my daughter-in-law and me. They will run out some day. I think the Hot Wheels container idea may take them over, that was a good tip too. Now I will just have to go after some KFC. :lol: Thanks guys.

If you have a "gourmet dog", those lil plastic containers their food comes in work well for all kinds of stuff. I also use Hillshire Farms deli meat containers for storage and stripping smaller parts. I also like to organize my spare parts in ziploc bags then store them in a shoebox sized tote.

John

I mix a lot of paints for brushing on. My handiest containers are for keeping the mixed paints. I use the bottle caps from 20 oz. Coke/Pepsi bottles to mix in. I found that the light blue bottle caps from Evian water would snap onto the pop bottle caps and seal tightly. My mixed paints will store for weeks to months. Only issue I've found is that the more recent Evian caps may not have as long a leader at the bottom below the threads, and may not snap on now.

The sandwich meats little plastic boxes with the snap on lids are great also for storing parts, paints, glues. The wife uses them for leftovers, but I snag a few for my parts when she ain't looking !!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

powdered drink mixes that come in plastic containers w/lids,metal cans from tuna,ravioli,and so on so forth(a good can opener will not leave an edge that will cut or just use electrical/masking tape),that's my 2 cents...