Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Chevy van and race trailer

Like Jordan said it resembles the Chevy Van from 71-77 and if I remember correctly, the instructions do not reference a specific year. The only knock is that this van has mild flares molded in the wheel openings so if you want a "stock" van, you must shave them down. The rear end also sits a little high and needs to be lowered to look correct for the stock look. This van is perfect for a work van as it has no windows.

It should be a '71-'77 model like has already been said and the ride height seems about right but the front end could be raised back up for stock height. The wheels aren't right though since the truck and van rally wheels are the same style as what that GMC reissue uses (only with 5 lugs and in 15x7 instead of the 6lug, 15x8's like those should be.)

Thanks guys.

I am going to build it pretty much as it is with some mild modifications. I'll take the advice and replace the wheels with something like a Cragar mag. My intention is to build this kit as a Jungle Jim hauler. I know JJ used a ranp truck in his day but I thought this would look cool done up in the same colors as the JJ Vega. I would also take some of the decals from a donor kit to do the van up. I was concerned that the van maybe post 1977 which wouldn't work at all as JJ died in 1977.

I have had this kit kicking around for years waiting for the right project.

Now to find a replica of Jungle Pam. Ohhhhh yaaa!

Rob

Thanks guys.

I am going to build it pretty much as it is with some mild modifications. I'll take the advice and replace the wheels with something like a Cragar mag. My intention is to build this kit as a Jungle Jim hauler. I know JJ used a ranp truck in his day but I thought this would look cool done up in the same colors as the JJ Vega. I would also take some of the decals from a donor kit to do the van up. I was concerned that the van maybe post 1977 which wouldn't work at all as JJ died in 1977.

I have had this kit kicking around for years waiting for the right project.

Now to find a replica of Jungle Pam. Ohhhhh yaaa!

Rob

Both figures included in this kit.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5890fc169b

Edited by grimreaper

• 2 weeks later...

For someone wanting to build a "Correct " Chevrolet van , make note as to a couple of subtle running changes . First, the dash wouldn't be correct on the Revell kit until 1973. That was so the Air conditioner duct work could be accomodated within the dash. For the darn FEW Chevrolets thjat came down the pike , the A/ C was actually mounted between the seats and on the floor of all palces. Meanwhile , exterior trim was the same for all Chevrolets and G M C's until 1978.

Going back to the Dash board for a moment , use the dash from A M T's A-team kit if you're building a 1973-77 Chevrolet - G M C . For doing a 78-on dash, uh you wold have to fabricate a console of sorts as the motor box cover had this plastic affair built on top . Tail lights also changed in 1978 also . Meanwhile a grille change came about about 1980.

The molded in Fender flares can be sanded off. Being as this van represents a No Window option or "Base model" one can cut the optional windows in themselves as needed .

Ed Shaver

i didn't get caught up worrying about what exact year the van was or how accurately it replicated any particular year, it was a fun build that was also something simple. i built it to have something to haul around whatever i feel like tossing up on the trailer, currently it's in the display case with a Dart stock car

section8165.jpg

section8020.jpg

Your van reminds of an old nieghbour of mine. He had one darn near exact to that.

Nice job!

I haven't started on the chevy van or trailer yet. Been working on the JJ Vega. I am really surprised at the flash on this kit. The front clip fits like ###### and needs lots of sanding.

I thought this was a new kit, not a re-pop.

Thanks Ed for the tips on the van.

Edited by Rob McKee