Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see some scratchbuilt things?

mopar68

A Couple Of More Scratchbuilt Items:

An interior wall for my '77 Chevy Van that I scratchbuilt from Sheet Styrene. I had to do that, because otherwise the empty area on the inside of the body could be seen through windshield.

DSCN2151.jpg

For my '71 Barracuda (Jo-Han Kit) I scratchbuilt those two Fuel Pressure Regulators on the front inner fenders. They were built from different kinds of styrene tubings.

11b78641-e619-4c3f-bc00-3435313d2171.jpg

And then door panels for my '61 Oldsmobile Wagon Custom project. They are scratchbuilt from Sheet Styrene and door handles are metal wire. Still a little Bondo work to do and window cranks are still missing, but otherwise they are done.

DSCN9106.jpg

Here's a dune buggy I'm working on . I modified the front suspension and added working steering .

I also made an upgraded pedal assembly with twin master cylinders for the disc brakes .

Untitled4_zpsc6e7996d.jpg

And this is a master cylinder I made for another project because I couldn't find one in my parts boxes !

20_zpsd8c25b33.jpg

Here's a little something to bring this thread back down to earth. A scratch built winch.

IMG_2649_zps43474165.jpg

I also scratch built the piano hinges for the hood

IMG_1500_zps9c61b052.jpg

IMG_2637_zps34c0fa28.jpg

Okay , you got my attention with those hinge plates .

How did you cut so many notches so evenly without distorting the brass ?

Okay , you got my attention with those hinge plates .

How did you cut so many notches so evenly without distorting the brass ?

yeah??? !!!

I sandwiched six strips of brass between two 1/8" pieces of aluminum, clamped it all in a vise then spent an hour on a bridgeport mill going back and forth with a 1/16" endmill. Note: the fingers were made about .003" narrower than the slots for clearence. It helps if you work in a machine shop ;)

Edited by Shardik

I sandwiched six strips of brass between two 1/8" pieces of aluminum, clamped it all in a vise then spent an hour on a bridgeport mill going back and forth with a 1/16" endmill. Note: the fingers were made about .003" narrower than the slots for clearence. It helps if you work in a machine shop ;)

Yes, that would really help. :D

Nicely done.

I can't compete with a lot of this work, its just awesome, but I do like to scratch up some ideas.

The chassis & running gear are all scratch under a kit Alison & '37 shed

DSCF1153.jpg

DSCF1147.jpg

Again the chassis & running gear are one off with a little help from a T Bucket & a Nascar donk

DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1166.jpg

This is more of a kit bash but there was so much cutting & shutting that it felt like a scratch build

DSCF2701_zpsb61841ec.jpg

DSCF2823_zps22a006e5.jpg

Great idea for a thread thanks - I am getting a lot out of it

Brian

Your concrete floor is too perfect. There should be random hairline cracks in the middle of those panels... LOL

crazyrichard deserves a defense, especially for making that English Wheel! So here goes ... :)

First, to qualify myself, I'm a structural engineer and I've designed a few thousand concrete floors of all types, especially industrial. There is one thing about concrete, it is designed to crack ... there's not necessarily anything wrong if it does. Concrete slabs on grade are rarely intended to support machinery ... it's the machinists that think a concrete floor can support anything! (sorry richard, :) )

Concrete cracks as a result of shrinkage as the water evaporates. The groves cut into a grid, as seen in richard's floor, are called control joints and are done when the concrete is still soft. The idea is for the shrinkage cracks to develop at these thinner locations and not be so visible.

A concrete floor is only as strong as the soil it sits on. There are rigid tests to insure the soil is properly prepared. The lack of this preparation is the reason for most of the "random" cracks you see in concrete slabs as the soil settles over time and the slab sags and cracks over this soft soil.

So the lack of cracks in richard's machine shop floor signifies he had it constructed properly and may even had the slab thickened in the area of his equipment for proper support! I doubt I'll be called to investigate this floor for cracking. ! :)