Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Another first for me, I cast some turbos from a Monogram Indycar kit. Next up is fitting them to the headers and intakes.

Too late to warn you, but once you start casting your own parts- the floodgates are wide open! It gets a bit addictive, and you'll find yourself casting multiples of stuff you don't even need. Well, that happened to me anyway!

After a trip to the tubing bender we have the turbos mocked up. I had to rework the driver side turbo to make the inlet and exhaust mirror the other one.

First bends

P1291361_zps1a026715.jpg

Fitting the exhaust to the turbo.

P1291360_zps7f3e3f1c.jpg

The intake plumbing is fit.

P1301365_zpsde17e90d.jpg

P1301366_zps70b36512.jpg

Now I need to find some nice looking scoops or airfilters.

Okay, ya had me hooked until the outboard turbos. Since you typically catch your build issues and resolve them, I'm just going to say that I look forward to seeing what you do to make them look like works of art instead of afterthoughts. :P

Depending on how this is received, it may be my only suggestion. Knowing why turbos are mounted horizontally (along their shaft axis), may I suggest running them in the center of your two \6 engines at a proper mounting angle? I think this is a killer build so far, and like the direction it is headed.

Depending on how this is received, it may be my only suggestion. Knowing why turbos are mounted horizontally (along their shaft axis), may I suggest running them in the center of your two \6 engines at a proper mounting angle? I think this is a killer build so far, and like the direction it is headed.

While I appreciate your input, this build has been unrealistic from the get go. It has an automatic solid transaxle I made up, that I'm sure would never work in real life. The rear suspension would never work properly, the front suspension wouldn't work at all and I've got one engine slanted the wrong way with the head on backwards. So a turbo mounted wrong is not too big of a deal, at least to me. Plus the amount of work to make all of the plumbing line up and fit was way too much time and effort to abandon at this point.

If you follow any of my builds, none of them are very realistic.

I finally got back to work on this project. To detail the engines a bit, the molded in mounts, starters, and oil filters were ground out and filled. Then new pieces were made along with new distributors.

I also have the frame, cage, engine blocks, and front engine mount in color. I's a nail polish called "Buffy the Violet Slayer". It looks like purple anodize.

I hope to clear these parts tomorrow.

P2071380_zps45dd9c1d.jpg

P2071379_zps1a03b475.jpg

P2071381_zps6813b249.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I picked a color for the body. It's another nail polish called "Grey's Anatomy". It's a very transparent grey to red pearl. I spayed a test piece over the grey primer and got a grey to lavender. It looks great next to the purple frame. In low light it just looks battleship grey, add a little light and you get a grey pearl, hit it with bright light and it's lavender pearl.

P2091384_zps574cf80a.jpg

P2091383_zps108f460e.jpg

P2091386_zps6e94817e.jpg

P2091387_zpsf53b321b.jpg

P2091388_zps185cd7bf.jpg

P2091390_zpscd49d4bf.jpg

More progress. The engines are painted and ready for assembly.

P2101392_zpsa6acfcd2.jpg

I made a bunch of pulleys from watch gears and tubing. I still need to file off the teeth from the gears and paint them.

P2101393_zps03028858.jpg

The rear end is starting to take shape. I still need to make the airbags and shocks, then plumb the brakes and trans cooler.

P2111395_zps8c862208.jpg

P2111396_zpse6c29cff.jpg

P2111397_zpsa6674c18.jpg