Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is anyone here going to get the new 1/32 B-17G?

LDO

I think I will. It's expensive, but that's a whole lot of model plane. Plenty of room for superdetailing. If I do get it, it will have to be diplayed hanging from a ceiling. The wingspan is over e feet. Sounds like an awesome model.

I've heard that the same company will also make a 1/32 Lancaster. Four Merlins and a grand slam or dambuster bomb...nice.

I think I will. It's expensive, but that's a whole lot of model plane. Plenty of room for superdetailing. If I do get it, it will have to be diplayed hanging from a ceiling. The wingspan is over e feet. Sounds like an awesome model.

I've heard that the same company will also make a 1/32 Lancaster. Four Merlins and a grand slam or dambuster bomb...nice.

Is that big? :lol:

I see on the box cover it says "over 800,000 rivets." I guess that'll keep a rivet counter busy for a while :lol:

I don't know, I'd estimate e feet might be between 3 and 4 feet! :lol::lol:

Why, the rivets have already been counted!! :lol::lol:

• 1 month later...

To this day, an example of what a hero is to me goes something like this: A guy who puts in 20 missions as a ball-turret gunner on a B-17 over Occupied Europe, where every time he gets into that plane, dozens of people try to kill him. Mission 21 brings down his plane over, say, Schweinfurt. The guy spends a year and a half as a POW, which is not nearly as much fun as it was portrayed in "Hogan's Heroes". After the war, he just settles down to raise a family, run a business, and never really talks about what he did in the war, except maybe to mention that he was in the Air Corps. Yeah, I just might get one of those B-17s.

I would absolutely love to have one of those kits, and would be thrilled to build it.

But at $287 for the kit, I probably never will.

My only hope would be to catch one on ebay cheap, but that will probably take years to find, if ever.

FWIW, the reviews and pictures on this kit make it look like a stunning build.

This kit isn't even out yet and there's already a bunch of resin and photo etch upgrade kits for it!!! Can't wait to see one built with all the extra goodies! That would really be somethin!!!

I saw two of them at the LHS yesterday. Both priced out at over $300.00. It is beautiful though

This kit isn't even out yet and there's already a bunch of resin and photo etch upgrade kits for it!!! Can't wait to see one built with all the extra goodies! That would really be somethin!!!

Got that, 'n should have my 17 tomorrah, God willin'.

Brief overview on the Corsair: Tamiya's dialing back on the pin/polycap and magnetic cowl trickery, but if anything, they're cramming even more engraving into the plastic. Control surfaces are fixed positional instead of functional now, but holy buckets, the detail in the engine and the cockpit - we may have new standards for plastic, here.

Parts breakdown seems to be some 15% or so over the Trumpeter Bubble-top, and the body surface subtlety just blows the Trumpy away. Tamiya's P-51 may still represent their overall apogee, but what the Corsair trades away in worky-worky, it more than grabs back in detail. It need make NO apologies.

Here we go: while the Tamiya Corsair was big news, this here's some really B I G news:

IMGP2148-vi.jpg

All 39", 577 pieces, and 800,000 engraved rivets of it (and I wouldn't be surprised if the literal rivet-counter reference were meant to be a little funny).

What's kool is that the fuselage halves and locking wings are presented in such a way that the kit practically shouts "MOCK ME UP":

IMGP2152-vi.jpg

Wiild stuff, full catwalks and cockpit and gun bays, and as you see, the separate upper fuselage sections not only make for easier modification between versions, but also for a removable section to show off interior detail. There's also a small screw-in wall anchor that grabs into the plane by its bomb bay so you can hang it that way if you have absolutely nowhere else for it. Surface detailing is actually quite fine and handled with a fair amount of finesse.

No way should you cheat your groceries or your mortgage, but if you're able to work out the 300 or so dollars and this is your kind of thing, odds are decent you won't be sorry. Doesn't so much steal Tamiya's thunder as roll in a mighty cacophony of its own...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Thanks for the pics, Chuck. I've seen pictures elsewhere and I'm very impressed with it. I fully intend to get one at some point in time. I've been a -17 fan since I was a kid back in the mid-60s when 12 O'clock High was a television series. I got hooked then and have never looked back. My wife actually gave me a super-cool Christmas gift a few years ago - an armored plate glass window that faced aft in the stinger-equipped Fort tail gun position. It's one of my most treasured pieces. They were majestic airplanes...