Model Cars Magazine Forum

2015 Ford Mustang Snap Kit as a giveaway at NAIAS

Revell mentioned in a comment to my post on their Facebook page that they will be selling the snap kit in late august/early September. Seems like a long time to make a box for the kit.

Maybe the retail kit will have more detail like other Revell Snap Tite kits...features like a detailed (but still one piece) chassis, mirrors, separate headlight lenses--less toy like. From what I've seen, this snap kit is far below the detail level of a typical Revell snap tite kit.

Edited by Rob Hall

Revell mentioned in comment to my post on thier facebook page that they will be selling the snap kit in late august/early September. Seems like a long time to make a box for the kit.

agreed, someone is already casting the thing so hell get a good head start selling before revell does.

Revell mentioned in comment to my post on thier facebook page that they will be selling the snap kit in late august/early September. Seems like a long time to make a box for the kit.

Revell will add a detailed promo-style chassis, and a few other bits like side-view mirrors which were previously mentioned, so it's more than simply printing a box. They may also have some type of agreement with Ford which does not allow Revell to produce and market a model kit of the car until the major U.S. auto shows have finished for the season.

• 4 months later...

The only difference with the retail version is the grilles and taillight panels aren't already pressed in. Everything else appears to be the same as the Auto Show giveaways.

Super simple, perfect first kit especially for younger kids. Box says 6+ I'd say you could go even younger than that. It can be built 100% by the kids without adult help, no tools necessary.

I did a quick little video this morning about it. - http://youtu.be/kj0bp2nIsCk

We did a Make n Take event over the weekend with these, they were a big hit! Here's mine, of course I lowered it a little. Doesn't roll so smooth now, but it does look better...

DSC_5185-vi.jpg

DSC_5186-vi.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've been playing around with one the last week or so, and I have to say, even though I wasn't expecting much, I'm pretty happy with how the body looks. Clean up the mold lines and do some detail painting and it looks pretty good.

Only thing I'm really not too hot about is the glass unit. The blacked out edges come pre-painted, but the "glass" itself is a little hazy. But for a "kids toy" type of offering it cleans up pretty well.

(Note that this one isn't 100% complete yet).

003_zps34d2db97.jpg