Model Cars Magazine Forum

'81 Plymouth Reliant 9/1/17 Fotki fix

Foxer

Foxman, it looks like if you just set the grille more vertical between the headlights might be enough to do it. So wats a little filein an cuttin? You can do it bro!

That's what I'll do, George. There's room to adjust it some with a bit of grinding, prying and pulling. :lol: I'll just do what I can without spiting the headlights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had that T/C Lebaron wagon for a while; been thinking about swapping the Diplomat fascia onto it and smoothing the sides to make a phantom law enforcement car out of it. Far as I know, there were no diplomat wagons made. Now I'm thinking that little reliant might make a good start on a mid eighties Lebaron convertible like mine (think 'planes,trains and automobiles' without the woodgrain) :)

mike

Take a look in the 'bay. I see all of those and the Chrysler wagons there.

That's where I found the one building in this thread --- ebay

This got stalled until my daughter decides to dig out her photos of the car .. :(

Edited by Foxer

I've had that T/C Lebaron wagon for a while; been thinking about swapping the Diplomat fascia onto it and smoothing the sides to make a phantom law enforcement car out of it. Far as I know, there were no diplomat wagons made. Now I'm thinking that little reliant might make a good start on a mid eighties Lebaron convertible like mine (think 'planes,trains and automobiles' without the woodgrain) :)

mike

Yes, Diplomat wagons were available from '77 thru '81. Here's a pic of a 1980 model.

80%2520dodge%2520diplomat%2520wag%2520wh

Take a look in the 'bay. I see all of those and the Chrysler wagons there.

LOL, I was afraid someone would say that.

I found my Town And Country wagon out of all the places, the small IL town I went to college at when I came for an alum meeting. Guess I will have to bite the bullet to add one of these '80s ecno cars I remember seeing all over as a kid.

Found my T&C wagon at WalMart of all places!!

Not seen any in a long time though. And never seen the Diplomat anywhere but that evil Bay place!!

It's interesting that these saw limited distribution and disappeared. There are a lot of diecast that seem to have one run to Walmart and it's over. There was a 1970 Ford van I have that I only saw there once. If I had known that I would have bought the shelf full!

It's cool that they decided to do the obscure 80s cars. I want both the Horizon and Omni 4 doors, the T&C wagon and the Diplomat sedans. And of course the Reliants... someone said they also did a Reliant wagon but I've never seen even a picture of one.

I have kept my eye open at flea market and model shows, but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and place a sizable diecast order to one of those eBay store vendors.

Edited by Tom Geiger

It's interesting that these saw limited distribution and disappeared. There are a lot of diecast that seem to have one run to Walmart and it's over. There was a 1970 Ford van I have that I only saw there once. If I had known that I would have bought the shelf full!

It's cool that they decided to do the obscure 80s cars. I want both the Horizon and Omni 4 doors, the T&C wagon and the Diplomat sedans. And of course the Reliants... someone said they also did a Reliant wagon but I've never seen even a picture of one.

I have kept my eye open at flea market and model shows, but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and place a sizable diecast order to one of those eBay store vendors.

Great observations Tom. Yes, sad but true , Wal- Worl had several very desirable and interesting die Cast models that were "Limited Runs . I was fortunate in that as soon as I could , I did get the Ford Van and a Dodge Diplomat . For some unknown reason, they sent a slew of Chevrolet vans and I think my close by store got two Fords. I wasn't real crazy about the "Graphics" of either the Ford or the Chevrolet . I wound up disassembling the Ford and painting it in a Factory Mustard Yellow color . OF COURSE , I ADDED one of my snack trays ! I never touched the Chevrolet . I have several of them waiting for me to transform them with examples of products I used to manufacture back in the day ...............

I got one each of both the Ford & Chevy. If I had had $$ i would have gotten more.

The Ford is apart & sanded with 400-600 sand paper to help remove the graphics.

Chevy is still in the box

I have 1/64-187 scale of them too. Or is one a Dodge??

I need to look again!!

OK----

1/87 scale, and are a 74 Ford Econoline & 75 Dodge!!

Wish they had done the Dodge in th e1/24-1/25 scale!!

Why have these not shown up at Toys-R-Us or other retailers yet??

Or did they, and I just missed them by not going there!!

Yes, Diplomat wagons were available from '77 thru '81. Here's a pic of a 1980 model.

80%2520dodge%2520diplomat%2520wag%2520wh

Basically a duded up volare/aspen wagon. Never seen one and I can count the number of 1:1 t/c wagons I've seen on one hand. Wal had a short run of little 1/64 dioramas that had the t/c and other cars as well but the real attraction when the assorted diorama cases were put on the shelf was the one or two mel's diner/milner deuce dioramas in each case. Still have two here

mike

• 8 months later...

Gee, I missed this before. I love K-Cars.

I have many very fond memories of my dad's '83 Aries wagon- Charcoal Grey with the crimson velour buckets/console, 5-speed, and the P195/70R-14 whitewalls with the wire wheel covers. Great little car that lasted nine years and over 200,000 miles until a girl rushing to Good Friday services in 1992 didn't pay attention to pulling out of her driveway and broad-sided us.

I'd love a K now, simple, easy cars to work on and really quite reliable overall The only problem they have, at least around here, is rust.

I hope you get back to this, Mike.

Charlie Larkin

Hi Charlie!

Well, I did get some photos and I should just put this together since you mention it! ehehhe

There might be some decal work to do from the photos my daughter gave me. I can't make it look completely as it did when she sold it ... she gave all her friends sharpies and every square inch .. inside and out ... was written on! Why there are no photos of it in that shape I don't know. I'll give her an ultra fine point Sharpie with it and get the bumper stickers with decals and the hand painted "Italian Flag" by hand. Since I just did decals for another build it shouldn't take much to put this one to rest.

Cool, Mike.

Will we see you tomorrow at MassCar or NNL? I was toying with going tonight for the dinner and trivia contest, but money ran unexpectedly tight and my leg isn't behaving well today, but I'll be there tomorrow, even if it's mostly sitting.

Charlie Larkin

Unfortunately, MassCar didn't make the schedule this year. :( It's 20 degrees and snowing like crazy right now ... it's supposed to be SPRING for MassCar!!!

If I do in fact end up doing my post-grad assistantship/fellowship/MBA at Isenberg next year, Mike, we're going! If you don't mind meeting me somewhere around Amherst or Greenfield (I might be bunking in with some friends of mine,) I don't mind driving.

I also need to get out your way. I might go to Wings 'n Wheels in Chicopee on the 30th- car and other stuff pending.

Charlie Larkin

• 1 year later...

oK ... this one is coming back to life as I have all the photos I could gather of my daughter's K car and it's been sitting on the shelf in front of me all this time. This dashboard shot shows the start of all the stickers and writing it had at the end ..

reliant%20scan%20sml%200003_zpsytfvjezq.

oh .. the car was named Betty

My printer was acting up when I stopped last time and it's in good shape now to print the decals I made ..

Betty%2096%20sml%200001_zpsc0xzzm1i.jpg

Edited by Foxer