Model Cars Magazine Forum

I KNOW STYRENE IS CHEAP BUT

i am sitting here with not much to do but wait for parts and pluck on guitar , but my mind is always thinking and i know styrene is cheap and all but i look at the parts trees and think what a waste of plastic and thought hey if i took a bunch of the long rounds from the tree and chuck it up in a drill and run a piece of sandpaper you would have nice round stock to use , so i tried it and sure enough , nice round free stock but i am sure you guys have done this already 007-6_zps2f5f8d8a.jpg

Edited by CrazyGirl

I always save the long straight sections of sprue and any decent clear sections.

Good for scratch building and making stretched sprue.

Also save the plastic center section from Q-tips. Just cut the cotton ends off. You can stretch this also like you can sprue and make hollow tubing of various thickness.

And I always just throw all those sprues away... I had once thought the same, in that "look how much wasted plastic there is." I wondered if there were any feasible method of returning the sprues to the manufacturers for them to re-use all that plastic to make more kits... might help to keep kit costs down a little. However the logistics of getting all that plastic back to the mfgrs. from all the varied kit buyers would probably be nearly impossible to do. Good idea though...

Cant take credit for the idea.Found it somewhere on the net years ago.

I used some sprue tree's to make an engine stand,which I use to hold the engine when assembling and adding plug wires etc.

[img=http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69/freakshow666_2008/Model%20Cars/braceposition2t.jpg]

[img=http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69/freakshow666_2008/Model%20Cars/bracepositions.jpg]

[img=http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69/freakshow666_2008/Model%20Cars/completedenginestand.jpg]

Luke that's a great idea.

• 1 month later...

The sprue's I will never throw away are the one's that head and tail lights come on. They get stored in a separate tote. That transparent (colored) plastic can come in real handy when you loose that one tail light lens to the carpet monster or scratch building some tail lights.

Chuck it up and spin out a new lens. After you get it to shape, touch it with some 00 steel wool while spinning to bring it to a glass finish.

Guest G Holding

Oh, mix it in some liquid glue(cut it up first) and let it set. it'll become liquid again, really thick and rnny, and you can actually use it as filler! i've done it quite a few times and it works great!

That is my body trick also.....Great filler when chopping or sectioning, gives the area more strength, although it sure is ugly when putting it on ! :P;)

• 7 months later...

My brother scratch built an entire motorcycle model using the leftover sprue trees from various kits.

I'm stretching the rear body of a kit of a fire truck. The trees are very useful in bracing and connecting panels from the inside, where it won't be seen.

The trees come in handy when making all sorts of small parts,

I haven't built that many models, but I have an entire box full of trees.