Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Stock/Mod Door hinging HELP!!!

DrewC

OK all you pros out there, I have my doors cut out, front clip off, chassis is glued and ready for paint BUT, I need to know what you all do for hinges on a PRO STOCK/MOD? I am beating my brains out I think, trying to reinvent the wheel!

Someone... Please help!

DrewC

OK all you pros out there, I have my doors cut out, front clip off, chassis is glued and ready for paint BUT, I need to know what you all do for hinges on a PRO STOCK/MOD? I am beating my brains out I think, trying to reinvent the wheel!

Someone... Please help!

DrewC

Drew. If want to tackle it heres what I did on my pro mod olds a few years ago.

I took 1/16 brass rod bent it to 90 degs. lined them up in the frame rails and glued small pieces of 1/16 aluminum tubing to the inside of the doors an theres a set of functional doors that also lift off the hinges. just make sure everything is straight up and down as well as parallel and they'll swing free with no droop...

models004.jpg

There are different techniques but here is what I do to create an opening door that is easily removed at the same time.

The pins can be found at a model railroad shop.

MVC027F-vi.jpg

MVC028F-vi.jpg

I really like the look of the brass pins your using. do you have the packaging so I know what I'm looking for. I'm headed hobby shopping this Saturday and would like to know what I'm looking for....

Hey that's a good idea.

On the real cars there isn't much to it. Just a couple bars that hold a upright pin that the door slide onto for quick removal.

I'd just bend up some brass rod to mount to the car chassis and a couple reciever tubes on the doors similar to what has been shown here.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually the way that Wayne built those in the pic he supplied is pretty much how it's done on the 1:1 P/M's the only thing different from his technique and most of the 1:1's I've worked on is that they use small tubes welded directly to the roll cage that the small pieces attached to the door slide into. Also on some of the 1:1's they add a tie wrap to the bottom of the pieces that attach to the dorr after they are run through the tubes as an extra measure to keep them from leaving the car at mid track or during some especially rough tire shake. Great work Wayne!!

Chris