Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/Ertl 1972 Chevy Pick-up,replica of my mothers first truck.

I finished this back in june for my mothers birthday but haven't gotten around to take good pics of it untill now. I had to go to O'Rileys to get the corect paint color,the rest was all simple model stuff. Built this as a curbside because I was missing engine parts and if youve seen the engine bay you know why.Also if anyone need this color I still have a pint of it left,not like I have another car I can use it on.

DSC_1850-vi.jpgDSC_1851-vi.jpgDSC_1854-vi.jpgDSC_1852-vi.jpg

Edited by Austin T

That does look good! Nice work! I love those trucks, I've been trying to catch one on ebay for a good price - no luck yet. But it sounds like they are lacking in detail - like with the engine? That would be disappointing.

Again, tho - nice work!

Daf

That does look good! Nice work! I love those trucks, I've been trying to catch one on ebay for a good price - no luck yet. But it sounds like they are lacking in detail - like with the engine? That would be disappointing.

Again, tho - nice work!

Daf

The engine is lacking in detail along with the engine bay,the interior is 3 peices and everything is molded into the chassis.The only redeming factor about this kit is the subject matter and the really crisp body.You will have to correct somethings first,like the hood gap,right headlight/grille area on the body, and the fit of the tail gate.I didn't bother to correct those because I was lacking on time. I kinda like it that the kit is going up in value,who knows 20 years from now it may be triple didgets,My grandfather has six of them in a drawer in the wrapper.(This is his favorite style of Chevy trucks,he has had over 30 different ones since he got his first.)

This is exactly the kit I was looking for, as this was my first pick-up, except mine was Chevy Orange, my brother had painted when it was his truck. Do you know if this kit is still available?

-Steven

It's not currently in production but you can find one on ebay or maybe at a model show.My Uncles was Hugger Orange,maybe that ones up next.

Nice looking Chevy truck Austin! That's my favorite color combo on these year Chevy trucks! Let me know what you would want for that paint and we'll try to make a deal.

• 1 month later...

Great looking build from a not-so-great kit. Its been one of my favorites for years but I always have the same problem, the box is terribly warped once assembled.

I have my 72 on the bench now as a matter of fact. Im building it as a base model sans trim with white bumpers and grille. I bashed it with a revell 64 for a full detail chassis, engine, and interior. I also replaced the wheels with some steel rim/poverty caps from a 70's GM van. Once painted, Ill post a few pics...

• 1 month later...