Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Karmann Ghia

oldscool

Thanks everyone. For anyone wanting to build this kit, it is typical Tamiya. Flawless quality. No flash and perfect fit. some of the best scale tires ever (check the tread in the first pic). I especially liked the dry transfer metal scripts and didnt care for the one piece window unit which requires cutting if you want open windows. i painted the wheels with Testors metallizer as my buddys car had the chrome accessory covers that went over the entire wheel and fit behind the stock dog dishes. Body was clear coated with testors enamel glosscote and this Valspar color didnt take nearly as long to dry as the bumblebee yellow that I put on the Cuda convt. As for being fast davezinn, it topped out at 80 mph and felt like it was going to leave the ground at that speed. Next time I will clean the bird poop off the table before I take pics ;)

Edited by oldscool

Beautiful model! I've always liked what a friend of mine used to call "Punchbuggy sprots cars". Lol! Years ago, when I was a signpainter, I lettered a Karman Ghia that was built to race on dirt tracks in the 4 cylinder class......

volkswagen.jpg

There were two of these, this one and a red #27. These things dominated the 4 cylinder class so much that they asked them to move up to the V-8 Hobby division. The first week against the hobby class V-8s, they finished 1-2! Lol!

But enough rambling.....this is a beautiful model. Perfect color, perfect stance!

yeah super nice job on that ghia! the paint even looks factory. ive never actually seen one done either.

ive wanted to do one and substitute in a quad cam porsche 356 motor from the fujimi enthusiasts kits. since its a model you can dream big!