Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Stepside "Down Low" - Updated 10/13/2013

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good so far. I have the same one on the bench I started a week ago. Mine sure won't be up to the build you are doing but it is a good starter to get my skills back in shape from being out of the hobby for a few years.

The only problem I have had so far is the front windshield doesn't fit. It is too narrow from top to bottom. Don't know what I am going to have to do to fix this but I'll try something.

Keep this one going.

Richard

Mike... Thanks for,the info on SAS. I will have to check them out sometime. I had a few coworkers from previous companies I worked at tell me about Tempe Sales and Mesa Sales which are other fabric shops that carry all kinds of things.

Randy.... Thank you for the props on the seat.

James.... I haven't made much more progress than what's seen here. I have been busy with my 1/16th scale funny car. But I am itching to getting some more work done on this pick up. I am out in California at the moment visiting family and hope to get some more work on this soon when I get back home. My next steps in this build are to get the gas and brake pedal made then work on the steering colum and steering wheel done. Then the interior is pretty much done other than I am trying to figure out a fix the speedo gauges.

Richard.... This build was supposed to only take me a month or two just to be a quick curbside build but I have been focusing more on my other build at the moment. I haven't even tried test fitting the glass on mine. I will have to see if I have the same issue that you have. My initial though is using some micro scales Krystal Klear.... It's. a white glue that dries completely clear. I am not sure how much of a gap you have but it may work

• 1 month later...

Ok Fellas... I know its been a while since I have had an update on it but. I got a little bench time in on it tonight and thought I would share. Now its not much but I am happy with it. Anyway I wasn't happy with the speedo gauge on the dash. Well I happened to find a guy selling them on ebay and picked it up, got it in the mail today and had to put it on...lol. I originally was going to find something and scale it down and print it on my computer but when I saw this and I said for $2.50 I am just gonna buy it...haha. any way here are a few pics....

Here is the gauge face I was able to pick up off ebay. It was printed on photo paper and I had to cut it out:

57-Chevy-PU199-1_zpsde2f12b9.jpg

Here it is cut out and glued in place:

57-Chevy-PU203-1_zpsc1ee7c51.jpg

I next used Microscale Krystil Klear white glue for the glass of the gauge face. as you can see the white glue has been put over the speedo. This is the only glue that I have use that dies completely clear that I know of:

57-Chevy-PU205-1_zps05fdf339.jpg

Here is a pic I took while it is still drying, I wanted you to see how its starting to turn clear:

57-Chevy-PU208-1_zps5e1f52d3.jpg

Another Picture, I couldn't wait til it was completely dry...lol but It looks like I may of gotten a couple of air bubbles in the glue. Hopefully they won't be so noticeable when it completely dries, I was super excited to get this done and had to share before it was finished up:

57-Chevy-PU209-1_zps04307842.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Everyone... thanks for all of the kind comments. I haven't had time to get to the bench this weekend but wanted to show you all the results on how the Mico Kristal Klear turned out. I swear by the product that its the best white glue I have ever used. Here are a couple pics....

The Glue has dried:

57-Chevy-PU210-1_zps01f76df7.jpg

57-Chevy-PU212-1_zpsddfac14f.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Everyone... thanks for all of the kind comments. I haven't had time to get to the bench this weekend but wanted to show you all the results on how the Mico Kristal Klear turned out. I swear by the product that its the best white glue I have ever used. Here are a couple pics....

The Glue has dried:

57-Chevy-PU210-1_zps01f76df7.jpg

Just one ? Chris did you sand down the original tooling on the speedo before applying the decal or even it out with the clear glue and then decal?

The Glue has dried:

I agree! I use Micro Kristal Kleer on all my gauges, and I even give chrome headlight lenses a coat. Great stuff. I like your printed gauges too. It's worth the few dollars to get that detail. I've gone to eBay Motors to look for gauges to scale down. I found I'm better off going to the parts section and looking for the gauges by themselves since they get obscured behind steering wheels in car photos. I've taken the photos, scaled them down and got the result I needed. Also, check out car magazines. I found a full color page of gauge sets for sale that I intend to scan and scale when I need one.

One thing I noticed is that when folks use the photo etched belt buckles. The male end is always right on, with scale thickness but the buckle itself looks awful thin sitting on the seat. Would you be up to adding some plastic behind them to give them depth?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

James.... Thank you for checking in on this build and bringing this post back from the dead so to speak....lol I actually pulled it out last night to set on my work bench in hopes to do a little work on it this weekend. I have mostly been focusing my bench time lately on my 1/16th scale Army Vega Funny Car but I have been wanting to do some more work on this one and think I may just set some time aside later today to tinker on this one.

Danno.... Thanks for the page buddy. This is another one is going to get some dust knocked off it. I need to finish this bad boy don't I... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...