Model Cars Magazine Forum

TransAm sport truck

DanielG

Thanks guys.

The gold is Tamiya with Tamiya clear over-coat. It seems with these metallic laquers you don't dare touch the surface before over-coating. If you were to polish or sand any of it you would have to do the whole thing because it darkens the colour. I have noticed this with Tamiya's gold and silver too and clear-coating does NOT return it to the original colour hence the previous screwup!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a shot of the rear windows fitted. They still have to be polished a bit and glued on and framed. The mess on the counter are all the attempts that for one reason or another were not right, also there was a learning curve here! I used the boiling water and jig method of forming.

post-5869-0-81824000-1340920423_thumb.jp

Edited by DanielG

Wow, that's some work.

Daniel, I think it would great if you posted something on the Tips, Tricks & Tutorials section about how to disassemble and detail a built diecast model. I know each one is different, but you must have a certain approach you take.

have a look at my disassembly of fiat panda that may give you some ideas.

http://www.thepartsbox.com/BB/viewtopic.php?f=251&t=3506

This is the setup for forming the rear windows.

The former was made from a piece of tin that was cut to shape and bent to conform to the desired contour of the window. The jig held the plastic down against the former. Boilng water was poured over it for a few seconds and the plastic took on the contours of the former. The windows now pretty much just lie in position with hardly any stress for the glue to overcome. Two jigs and formers had to be made for this job. I had to wear cotton gloves to make sure that no oils were on the plastic or my finger prints were burnt right in by the boiling water. I used Evergreen's 15 thou clear plastic which seemed to be the minimum thickness for decent shape retention.

So much for window making 101!

post-5869-0-12977300-1341016455_thumb.jp

Edited by DanielG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update (sigh!)

I didn't like the way the door trim turned out so I reworked that and then decided the rear windows were not up to snuff so I popped them out (got them out of the way anyway while other work was done) and shaped new ones. Finished the pin-striping and door trim and hit it with a coat of clear to seal it all before refitting the windows. As I was spaying on the clear, right before my eyes some of the gold went very dark and did not lighten up again as the clear cured so now I have a two-tone gold car. Not good! So the center striping has to be masked and some gold re-sprayed and pray it all melds together. Film at eleven!

I feel you on the paint issues..

my last two builds ...a 56 Ford with scallops ...grrrr

finally settled with decals..whew !

Second one a 59 El Camino..maybe the humidity

I don't know...But I feel you.

BTW..the metal work rocks.Keep us posted.

• 8 months later...

Update!

DSC02806_zps0062488c.jpg

Almost completed. I still have some small details to add/fix. I took some artistic license and 'tinted' the rear windows. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel! I have made decals for the tires with the proper outlined script, maybe it will work out OK.

Edited by DanielG