Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghostbusters Ecto into an Ambulance

Monte's Motors

4740051380_3c67a5c683_z.jpg

Hi, great build, what rear end(chrome) did you use? I built a hearse from this kit by pannelling in the rear sections. I did use a Monogram Cadillac front end, but fabricated the rear bellow the swing door.

The kit grill from is ok for an ambulance as it has the cutouts for the emergency lights in the grill, but for a hearse the Monogram grill is better though a very tiny bit wider, probbly 1mm or less.

In retrospect this could be made to fit better by detatching the head lamp cluster and removing material from the edges of the grill, then re attaching the light pods.

I think the JoHan grill(available from the Modelhause), is slightly narrower so would require more work to be made to fit.

John

Hi, great build, what rear end(chrome) did you use? I built a hearse from this kit by pannelling in the rear sections. I did use a Monogram Cadillac front end, but fabricated the rear bellow the swing door.

The kit grill from is ok for an ambulance as it has the cutouts for the emergency lights in the grill, but for a hearse the Monogram grill is better though a very tiny bit wider, probbly 1mm or less.

In retrospect this could be made to fit better by detatching the head lamp cluster and removing material from the edges of the grill, then re attaching the light pods.

I think the JoHan grill(available from the Modelhause), is slightly narrower so would require more work to be made to fit.

John

By rear end chrome, do you mean the bumper. It came with the kit.

The spear piece in front of the tail lights is molded on the fin and chrome was brushed on useing Alclad.

Edited by Monte's Motors

• 2 weeks later...

Sure does look pretty! I have one or two of those kits squirreled away as someday builds.. I'd like at least one ambulance and maybe a hearse to come out of them when I do them. Just curious about the Lincoln that I can see the rear corner of in your photo - do you have a shot or two of it? I have an old built up that I still have to strip and redo - I like your colours.. It looks like a nice piece. ;):blink::D

By rear end chrome, do you mean the bumper. It came with the kit.

The spear piece in front of the tail lights is molded on the fin and chrome was brushed on useing Alclad.

Hiya, I forgot the kit was re-done by Polar Lights! the AMT kit has the standard Cadillac light pods but in between is a checkerplate step, that is why I asked the question.

The old JoHan model, though its a 68 has all the roof lights and a stretcher, though I dont know if these items can be dated to the year of car.

John

Great job on making a classic ambulance... It looks like the Polar lights kit which unfortunately had the "tinted" rear windows and the no step bumper.... Your paint looks great do you plan on making new rear windows???

Yes on the new rear windows. I'll be using clear plastic from some of those food containers you buy at the deli in Wal-mart.