Model Cars Magazine Forum

New here... my KW WIP

KJ, those are rally nice. I've got to find one of this Great Dane reefers. One of these days. Are you planning on bringing these to Fulton?

Nah, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to have any models at the Fulton show, but I should be wandering around looking. Maybe next year I'll have some there.

Looks great! Nice colours and detailing,, does your grandfather know that you are building this? It may make a nice Christmas present for him if he doesn't... :):blink::)

Yup, he's still around and he has no idea that I am working on this. I have thought about this as a Christmas present for him, I bet he would really like that.

• 2 years later...

Well life seems to have happened and over 2 years has passed, but I finally busted this old model out and started working again. Got the engine finished and in the frame, and today I painted the name and number on the cab.

I am also working on a great dane reefer with stainless steel sides. I bought a great dane reefer and a fruehauf box van that were both half assembled. I cut the sides out of the great dane and replaced them with the fruehauf ribbed sides (that I had cut the rails off of). I painted the whole thing silver and then put bare metal foil over the "stainless steel" parts. It's still a work in progress, but it is coming.

004_zpsd7c60277.jpg

015_zps46bc51b7.jpg

Hi KJ great work on the KW I just thought I should let you know that your front wheel rings are on back to front :unsure:B)

Haha thanks, I'll have to look at it when I get home. I thought there was something wrong with them. I was planning on changing them out for some different spokes anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

Nice. Good job on the door lettering. Is it a decal, or did you hand paint it?

I didn't use any decals on this build at all. Everything was actually done with spray paint. I cut a very small stencil out of tape and layed it over the doors, then sprayed a few light coats of white over it to get the door lettering.

Hey KJ how did you do your stainless on that reefer?

I started with two glue bombs that I had bought, one was a great dane reefer, the other was a fruehauf van trailer. I cut the ribbed sides off of the fruehauf, then cut the sides off of the great dane leaving the front, back, top side rails, and bottom side rails. I filed the ribbed fruefauf sides to fit the great dane and glued them in place. Then I painted the whole trailer "aluminum" silver. After that was dry I went over all of the parts that are supposed to be stainless with bare metal foil. That trailer wasn't quite done in those pics, but it was mostly done.