Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building the Black Widow *Updated 3/03/09*

Len Carsner

Great builds...

I´m eagerly awaiting the ones i ordered from my local model-car dealer, he´s expect them to arrive in about 2 weeks, can´t wait to get my hands on them.

One point thou, the no. 46 car was not driven by Herb Thomas in 1957, the driver of that car was actually Albert "Speedy" Thompson, the other cars i know who drove was #44 Rex White, #47 Jack Smith and #87 Buck Baker.

Best Wishes

Anders Lundstrom

Malmo

Sweden

:)B):rolleyes:

Two excellent builds . They are both beautiful. I think Revell did the right thing with this kit for two reasons. One, it is a nicely detailed kit. Two, it is a 2 door post 150. I wish they would bring out more 2 door posts , 4 doors and wagons. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get tired of all the hardtops!

That's sort of what I had in mind. Another possibility ... a street car that has been restored to resemble an "as delivered" Black Widow.

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing a street Black Widow replica as I've seen in magazines, and a stock plain 150. And maybe a primered beater style street machine w/ Cragars.

As I said in an earlier post, I also think this kit pretty much screams "build me as a cop car!"

How about a pursuit unit, using the fuelie motor? Or, an unmarked detective's unit? Or, maybe a fire chief's car?

TONS of possibilities here! Thank you, Revell, for your efforts!

A number of departments ran 57 Chevy's with the Police Package with engines ranging from the Blue Flame six

to the Power Pack 220 hp 283. The Ohio State Patrol used the V8 150 2dr sedans and Toronto's used the six. In fact

the 2dr sedans were the Standard Police Package and the 4dr sedan and wagons Police Packages were special order.

I built this OSP replica from an old AAM resin kit. The Revell kit would be perfect for this, all you need besides the

Police Equipment is a back seat.

POI5A-vi.jpg

POI5B-vi.jpg

POI5D-vi.jpg

Multi-carbs and F-I would have been passed on due to higher maintence costs but you could always do a phantom.

A four door conversion would be pretty easy as they shared the same roof lines and wheelbases. Chicago and the

Military both used 57 Chevy 4 door sedans to name two.

-Steve

I bought mine, and I am not disappointed. Bill and Len did a masterful job with their builds. Mine will probably be Traopical Turquoise and White, with American Torque Thrusts, and a subtle rake.

Glad you like the kit. I consider that paint scheme fo rmy car, then decided against it since the box art car was that color combo. Bill convinced me to try red thinking it would "jump" off the pages better and also compliment the red accents in the decals on his car. I think it turned out to be the right decision.

Thanks for your interest.

Len Carsner.

After reading along with the above great builds last night I decided I needed this kit. I went to the local Hobbytown this morning to order mine and will have it next week. I think we should thank Revell by buying these to encourage other new tooling. For instance, how about using the new (er) 49 Merc kit, dumping the body, and tooling up a chopped (properly!) 51 Merc! Gary

Hey Len those look great - but I've always seen the air intake in black...

DSC06403-vi.jpg

You're correct, but I think Bill painted his silver so it would show better in the pictures (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!).

BTW - the engine under the hood of Bill's #87 Black Widow is detailed per the SEDCO manual and has the correct air cleaner for the race car. You can read all about it plus all of the other detaails he added in an upcoming issue of Model Cars Magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again.

Earlier this week at last i got my much eagerly awaited Revell "Black Widow" from my local hobby dealer,

i got 4 (Four) boxes...., if you wanna know i´m planning to build 3 Stock Cars, Buck Baker´s #87, Jack Smith´s #47 and Speedy Thompson´s #46 with decals from Fred Cady and Cherry Run Decals.

The fourth one i´m planning to build as a Plain Jane with the two barrel manifold and air cleaner from AMT´s latest rendition of the 1957 Chevrolet, the color of the car will probably be all red, but i haven´t decided if that´s my final choice yet.

I though have a question to you guys out there about the kit which i hope some of you can explain to me?

If you take a look on the backside of the hood, you can see two square formed recesses in it which i haven´t seen on any other 1957 Chevy kits (AMT, Monogram, Old Revell, MPC) before, should it be like this or is this something that won´t be there? B):lol::lol:

I would be VERY glad :P if someone can bring a little light on this subject.

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes

Anders L

Malmo

Sweden ;)

Not to worry, it's on another tree. We didn't show all of the trees with common parts.

**Correction**

As has been pointed out the kit DOES NOT have a back seat, which would be correct for this particular model of 150 sedan.

Sorry for the confusion, it was an error on my part. Flog me with a used sanding stick and lets get on with the discussion!! :D

The kit is not in error regarding the lack of rear seat. The kit is based on the 150 utility which did not have a rear seat. It was intended for salesmen,etc and rear seat was left out for them to carry products. Standard 150's did have a rear seat for passengers. This was not the intended function for the utility model.

Not to worry, it's on another tree. We didn't show all of the trees with common parts.

**Correction**

As has been pointed out the kit DOES NOT have a back seat, which would be correct for this particular model of 150 sedan.

Sorry for the confusion, it was an error on my part. Flog me with a used sanding stick and lets get on with the discussion!! :D

The kit is not in error regarding the lack of rear seat. The kit is based on the 150 utility which did not have a rear seat. It was intended for salesmen,etc and rear seat was left out for them to carry products. Standard 150's did have a rear seat for passengers. This was not the intended function for the utility model.

Hi again.

Earlier this week at last i got my much eagerly awaited Revell "Black Widow" from my local hobby dealer,

i got 4 (Four) boxes...., if you wanna know i´m planning to build 3 Stock Cars, Buck Baker´s #87, Jack Smith´s #47 and Speedy Thompson´s #46 with decals from Fred Cady and Cherry Run Decals.

The fourth one i´m planning to build as a Plain Jane with the two barrel manifold and air cleaner from AMT´s latest rendition of the 1957 Chevrolet, the color of the car will probably be all red, but i haven´t decided if that´s my final choice yet.

I though have a question to you guys out there about the kit which i hope some of you can explain to me?

If you take a look on the backside of the hood, you can see two square formed recesses in it which i haven´t seen on any other 1957 Chevy kits (AMT, Monogram, Old Revell, MPC) before, should it be like this or is this something that won´t be there? :D:P:o

I would be VERY glad :D if someone can bring a little light on this subject.

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes

Anders L

Malmo Hi,Ihaven't check the hoods on mine,but I read somewhere that there was a problem with air trapped under the hood on the widows and vents were cut in the rear of the hoods to relieve air pressure that maybe the 2 square formed recesses you speak of.

Sweden B)