Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Merc extreme custom

Trans Am Erik

• 2 weeks later...

:huh:

I too am very interested in your build Erik!

I must say that at first I wasn't to sure as to what was going on,

but,

as I got further along with your build,

WOW!

To see all of those parts and pieces go together was sheer astonishment!

Thank You for sharing

later

Russ

;)

Love this Merc Erik!

There is something I think You might need to look more on though. I took the freedome of printing out one of Your pictures, and draw some lines.

They tell more then my poor english. Please don't look at this as a "how to do this tip", just a fellow modeller playing arround on a very nice idea.

The lower line is how I think the lines of the two bodies must flow. Then You might choose to make the upper bodymoulding so it more follow the excisting coke bottle shape.

EriksMerc001-vi.jpg

EriksMerc002-vi.jpg

I like the line A better then line B. Both are close to parallell to the lower line, creating a even flow. Still, it is just one mans opinion, and not the only correct answer.

Edited by Bugace

This is one wild looking build. I have to admit when I first saw the mating of the Merc with the Impala, I didn't think I would like it. But the further you progress, the more I like this build. You have quite am imagination to come up with this Frankenstein of a build.

I do have a suggestion for you if you don't mind. This is just my opinion, the front wheels look to forward compared to the rear, to clarify, the rear wheelwells are somewhat centered, while the fronts are way forward of center. I did a couple of edits, one where I moved the rear wheels back, that looked horrible. I then did one where I moved the front wheels back a little, to me it made the car more "balanced".

Merc.jpgMercEdit.jpg

Hi guys, I am very happy and excited with your design analysis of my Merc. As I said before the car keeps evolving as I go along.

Tor: I really like your idea for slightly curving the top fender lines. Now the center line (belt line) of the car i am trying to make like the car in this picture.

1949SamBarrisMercury.jpg

David: You know I haven't considered moving the front wheels. It does balance the car and achieves the pro-touring look I am after. Knowing that car and how it is pieced togther already means that i would have to be VERY careful cutting those fenders but I really like the new look. I would also have to shorten the frame but that's no big deal.

Again thank you so much for your design ideas.

Knowing that car and how it is pieced togther already means that i would have to be VERY careful cutting those fenders but I really like the new look. I would also have to shorten the frame but that's no big deal.

Erik, I'm glad to help. Sometimes when we cut and piece a few kits together, it takes an outsiders view to see something that we might have overlooked or not even thought about. I know suggestions from others has helped me out in more than one build. It's nice to know you can offer criticism without offending the builder.

As for moving the front wheelwells, check my Deora COE build, it should give you an easy way to do it. Cut the entire wheelwell, not just half like I did.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57976

Hi guys, I am very happy and excited with your design analysis of my Merc. As I said before the car keeps evolving as I go along.

Tor: I really like your idea for slightly curving the top fender lines. Now the center line (belt line) of the car i am trying to make like the car in this picture.

1949SamBarrisMercury.jpg

David: You know I haven't considered moving the front wheels. It does balance the car and achieves the pro-touring look I am after. Knowing that car and how it is pieced togther already means that i would have to be VERY careful cutting those fenders but I really like the new look. I would also have to shorten the frame but that's no big deal.

Again thank you so much for your design ideas.

Glad You liked it Erik.

You must remember, as You have that cokebottle shape, You will only manage to get a straight beltline, when seen right on. If Your Merc are pictured as this one, the coke bottle shape will be visible. That is when You need to be aware how the belt line flows with the upper line. What looks right straight on, just don't comes right when You begin to go arround the car. That is why there is so few well known customs, compared to the amount customs made.

I love the way the Impala lines flows, and that is why I think You should consider keeping it, maybe even enhance it.

That should not work. :o That SHOULD not work. :unsure: That should NOT work. :wacko: That should not WORK. :huh: THAT should not work. :blink:

Yet ... somehow ... IT WORKS! :)

Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Build on, maestro!

B)

• 3 weeks later...