Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stacey David's Rat Roaster by : REVELL

Greg Myers

I believe the murray bodied three window was first. The speedwagon was second, the roadster was third, the sedan was fourth, the 5 window was fifth and last but not least is the rat roadster. Feel free to correct me if im wrong or i missed one.

I have all of them except the Rat Roaster, so if you'll send me one, I'll get right on that comparison! :)

& I have the Rat Roaster too, along with a half dozen of the Speedwagaon's the first roadster is the only one I don't have multiples of, does that make me special? (other than the fact that I'm computer dumb & can't post pictures)

Not that it matters but the model on the box doesn't have a distributor...another mess up

The model IN the box does...

Now that this is all cleared up, perhaps you might like some help finding it, Andy?

Courtesy of Casey earlier in the thread:

398024_4207992965067_1550304844_n.jpg

Or were you actually talking about the boxcover model? 'Cause to be fair, those are often from earlier production samples, and they have omissions all the time.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Yup. Azers got the sequence exactly right.

To add some personal insight here...Revell sent me test shots of all three - the three window, the Speedwagon, and the Roadster Highboy, approximately August of 1996. There were no instructions for any of them. The decal sheets for the three window and Speedwagon arrived a couple of weeks later. I immediately built the Three Window and it appeared on the cover of the other model magazine we love in the December, 1996 issue (sent to subscribers around mid-October). Bill Bozgan also built a kit and his review ran as a sidebar to my article. By the time these articles appeared, the kit had just been introduced, followed by the Speedwagon a few weeks later. But the Highboy Roadster wasn't released until May, 1977.

Mind you, doing this all from memory so take it with a small grain of salt....

TIM

I believe Danbury did the Chili Catallo '32 coupe (the blue one that appeared on the Little Deuce Coupe album jacket). No model kit has been produced.

However, Monogram put out a kit they called "The Little Deuce Coupe" in the Rockin' Rods series, with a little licensing nod to the Beach Boys.

But, the album car? No.

1932FordBeachBoysLilDeuceCoupeModel.jpg

Edited by Danno

Buick,

Olds,

and Cadillac... or could that possibly be a Studebaker?

NOW we're talkin'. :D

That reminds me... was there ever a kit of the Little Deuce Coupe in the second pic? Because there really should have been.

Cadillac in the 5W, Studebaker in the roadster (4 bolts in the valve covers). The Buick is in a Model A, if we're being picky...

Somewhat back on topic, something I've been wondering about the width discrepancy from the earlier Deuce kits and the Rat Roaster, what did Revell base the dimensions on for the earlier kits? There was a mention about fiberglas bodies used on 1:1 '32s, and a speculation that the Rat Roaster may have been one. Since we know that it is a Brookville body, which are supposed to be dimensionally identical to the originals, could it be that the earlier '32 kits were measured from a fiberglas or steel repop body that was not dimensionally accurate to a genuine '32?

Off topic, Studebaker 4 bolt rocker covers will fit on the '87-'99 Chevy Smallblock heads. :D:P

I picked up one of the kits, and was pleasantly surprised, as I was expecting that you could only build just the Rat Roaster from the kit, and that the only variance would be color, and wheels (with aftermarket wheels).

Nice to know that the kit can be made a few different and subtle ways just using your imagination and the parts in the box.

Good news: after stopping into pretty much every local hobby shop since the kit started to ship weekly, finally got my Rat Roaster kit- got a call to pick it up this morning.

Bad news: the hobby shop who called told me when I picked it up that it isn't licensed to be sold in Canada...the kit wasn't available to be sold through their normal Revell Canadian distributor, so after learning why they couldn't get it they had an alternate (US) distributor ship two kits to the store (so I bought two, more good news). Thank you local hobby shop!

I don't know if Ford or Gearz is responsible for the licensing issue or who exactly needs to be cursed out by Canadian modellers wanting this kit- sounds like online retailers and cross border shoppers are going to be the winner rather than our local hobby shops for those willing to make the sale in spite of licensing :(.

Edited by gman

Well, I'm assuming you're normally able to get Ford models up there, so the only other licensor is Rattletrap Productions, which is Stacey David himself.

He must not trust crazy Canucks in the frozen north to build his artistic vision in 1:25 :huh: .